Thread: Winaldl VS Tunerpro for logging

Winaldl VS Tunerpro for logging

So far, I've been using WinALDL to log but I want to try to use TunerPro because it just seems better in general, more advanced, additional features etc.

I can get TunerPro to connect ( I think ) because it says DA: Connected when I go to "Start/Stop Data scan".

However.... in the "Data Acq./Emulation" tab in the "Tools --> Preferences" menu, it says that I'm not connected... "Cable not found or not functioning (tested at 8192 baud)" is the error message I receive when I click on "Test for valid interface using settings"...
    It's set to "Standard Serial" and COM3 which is the port that works for WinALDL....

Also,
    The item list seems to be there... but the Dash and History Tables tabs have nothing????

I'm Using the 42.adx data-definition file.....

Why can't I get TunerPro to work for datalogging???

Please help.

Ok I guess I was making a dumb mistake of using the ads file that is for TunerProV4... I switched the datastream definition to the $42-1227747-V3.adx and all is well it seems.

Okay so in the 7747 thread, there is this .xdf file posted "$42-1227747-V4.xdf" I also have the $42-HIWAY.xdf.... Which one is better or which one should I be using?

I love tunerpro V4, but for some reason, I just can't get TPRT V5 to work on my 7747 truck. You will find a lot of help on this site, but even all the Guru's haven't been able to get it to work for me. I'm not really complaining, mostly because I have most of the parts for an ECM swap which should solve that problem. Many people have had luck by removing WinAldl from the datalogging computer, but that didn't work for me. The thing you have to do is to follow directions carefully, most of the time the guys on here can talk you thru it.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Man I wish mine was that easy. Mark will chime in with what the $42-highway.xdf is, I used the $42-1227747-v4.xdf
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CDeeZ View Post
    Ok I guess I was making a dumb mistake of using the ads file that is for TunerProV4... I switched the datastream definition to the $42-1227747-V3.adx and all is well it seems.

Okay so in the 7747 thread, there is this .xdf file posted "$42-1227747-V4.xdf" I also have the $42-HIWAY.xdf.... Which one is better or which one should I be using?
    I've been using the "$42-1227747-V4.xdf".

dave w

$42-1227747-V4.xdf has all the $42-HIWAY.xdf stuff in it, and a bunch more. $42-1227747-V3 up .adx is also set for data tracing.

That sucks jim? I've been using V5 for so long I forgot V4 used to work good, but I really like the ability of being able to work on XDF and ADX files with notpad... and all the other stuff in V5.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
    Man I wish mine was that easy. Mark will chime in with what the $42-highway.xdf is, I used the $42-1227747-v4.xdf
    jim, are you sure you are using the correct datastream definition file, not using the wrong one like I was?

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I've been using the "$42-1227747-V4.xdf".

dave w
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    $42-1227747-V4.xdf has all the $42-HIWAY.xdf stuff in it, and a bunch more. $42-1227747-V3 up .adx is also set for data tracing.

That sucks jim? I've been using V5 for so long I forgot V4 used to work good, but I really like the ability of being able to work on XDF and ADX files with notpad... and all the other stuff in V5.
    The "$42-1227747-V4.xdf" does seem to have quite a bit more stuff.... Why is this .xdf not the one used and posted like on the TunerPro website, instead of the very basic 42.xdf file which is very limited.... I wish I'd have found these better, more detailed xdf files sooner......

Okay brace yourselves gentlemen, for a rather noobish question. I searched, but probably didn't hit the right string of key words to find my answer... What exactly is the datatracing option for in TPRT????

I'm really digging the couple logs I have made with TPRT so far.... Much better and detailed than WinALDL although it worked well also.

Datatracing is when there is a bubble floating around the maps, showing which part of the maps are being used at that particular moment. In the scalers, it will show the actual value of a related datastream variable. Very handy.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by CDeeZ View Post
    jim, are you sure you are using the correct datastream definition file, not using the wrong one like I was?

The "$42-1227747-V4.xdf" does seem to have quite a bit more stuff.... Why is this .xdf not the one used and posted like on the TunerPro website, instead of the very basic 42.xdf file which is very limited.... I wish I'd have found these better, more detailed xdf files sooner......

Okay brace yourselves gentlemen, for a rather noobish question. I searched, but probably didn't hit the right string of key words to find my answer... What exactly is the datatracing option for in TPRT????

I'm really digging the couple logs I have made with TPRT so far.... Much better and detailed than WinALDL although it worked well also.
    I've sent several sets of more detailed XDF and ADX files to Mark at TunerPro but they never made it on the site.

In the $42 set there's way more then you need to mess with.

For data Tracing check out last picture in this thread.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...unerPro-How-To

If you have an old ADS file from TP V4 you can use it in TunerPro by Importing it, instead of Load Definition file, then you'll be promted to Save As and it will be an ADX file.

Once you open an XDF file in TP V5 it changes the format automatically, I thought once this was done it would not work in TP V4? So not sure if you should be using the new one Jim? 93V8S10 had me put both V4 and V5 versions in the $0D, $0E, $31 catigories...

Once you do a data log you can play it back and watch in Item Lists, History tables, Dash Boards and Monitors for all the data at exact moment just like it was live.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter
    Datatracing is when there is a bubble floating around the maps, showing which part of the maps are being used at that particular moment. In the scalers, it will show the actual value of a related datastream variable. Very handy.
    Ok, I think I understand… It's just basically showing which lookup table or other values are being referenced by the ECM at that particular moment?

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark
    I've sent several sets of more detailed XDF and ADX files to Mark at TunerPro but they never made it on the site.

In the $42 set there's way more then you need to mess with.

For data Tracing check out last picture in this thread.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...unerPro-How-To

If you have an old ADS file from TP V4 you can use it in TunerPro by Importing it, instead of Load Definition file, then you'll be promted to Save As and it will be an ADX file.

Once you open an XDF file in TP V5 it changes the format automatically, I thought once this was done it would not work in TP V4? So not sure if you should be using the new one Jim? 93V8S10 had me put both V4 and V5 versions in the $0D, $0E, $31 catigories...

Once you do a data log you can play it back and watch in Item Lists, History tables, Dash Boards and Monitors for all the data at exact moment just like it was live.
    Thanks for the plug to that thread on enabling datatracing! I have read it once over and I intend to study it more thoroughly in the next few days when I get some free time.