Thread: Now that's a burned valve!

Now that's a burned valve!

Well, now I know why this engine was a $100 core. I have been disassembling it to see what I was going to have to do to rebuild it, and when I got to the passenger side head, I found out. The funny thing is, as bad as that valve looks, the seat doesn't appear to be trashed. So, I am crossing my fingers and hoping that I don't have to rebuild the seats on that cylinder.

Square body stepsides forever!!!

Administrator
    Rode hard and put away wet. Make sure to check the guides for excessive play.

I was going to see about bronze valve guides. I am also looking at undercut stainless steel valves and Z28 springs. I think the heads will be the most expensive part. I looked at a set of world SR torquer heads already set up, and found a set for $700. If the heads start to approach that, I will just do that. I really need to find the flow numbers for those heads with the SS valves installed. The only draw-back to just switching to the WP heads is that it is $700 all at once, instead of little pieces at a time. If I get the old car sold, then no problem.

Administrator
    I've had good luck with PBM parts for budget engines. Used to joke that "PBM" stood for Please Buy Me but really, not bad for the $$. Watch out for OEM Z28 springs. Had to buy 40+ of the things a couple years back to get 16 that would test to spec. Had a friend at the dealer and he was getting them at cost which is why we kept plugging away at GM. Understand about piecing together a big dollar job. I have to do that all the time.

Thanks for the heads up on the springs. I just need springs for .550 lift, and those looked like the best buy. Will look some more I guess.

yeah the whole "Z28 spring thing is like x rods and "Vette heads, its all BS just get some good skip white springs.
    1986 Pontiac Bonneville 305/2004r rebuilt and 3.42 rear gears.
    1999 9C3 Lumina L67 .4T65E-hd
    2004 E250 5.4r75w dana 60 rear with 3.73 gears