Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moates sst27sf512 price increase

Moates sst27sf512 price increase

Hello all, I contacted Moates to see why there was a drastic increase in the sst27sf512.
    Now $9ea . There supply is running low so get them while you can.
    They are not sure what other alternatives will work with the burn programmer.

I bough a 5 pack on Amazon some time in Jan IIRC for $25. Looks like they're still available. I think this is the same source I bought them from.

https://www.amazon.com/27SF512-EEPRO...4887999&sr=8-1

Thank you for the link, looks like a better option than Moates.

SST stopped production of the 27SF512 chips several years ago, maybe a decade ago. Most "substitute / counterfeit" 27SF512 chips will not work with the Moates.net Burn 2.

I've had ZERO ISSUES using "substitute / counterfeit" 27SF512 chips using the Batronix BX32 chip programmer.

https://www.batronix.com/shop/progra...rogrammer.html

The BX32 is ULTRA overkill and ULTRA expensive for a one time EFI project. I use the BX32 for many different kinds of chips, including the older TBI 2732 type chips.

The "substitute / counterfeit" 27SF512 chips are very very reliable and work / fit / function like the original SST 27SF512.

Truth be known - many of the electronics we use daily have "substitute / counterfeit" chips.

dave w

s-l600.jpg

Thanks Dave

I have some chips from china for mine mixed in with originals that are about 15 years old. They may be counterfeit but I had no problems at all with burn2 and the two years I had my van. I think I got 4 for $8 a few years ago. It was through ebay so if they were junk I would do a "not as described" chargeback. They were fine. I think moates may be hyping the problem to make more money, then after they sell out, find "another" stash of chips that work fine.

Thanks donf, that’s a good idea to dispute the chips if the are faulty. Moates clam that they will burn but just one time.
    I did get some chips on eBay from a USA seller so I’m set for awhile.

The one I had in my van must have had at least 75 program cycles, just messing with little stuff most of the time. I looked at the usa sellers product. Looks exactly like the fakes I bought myself from china for less than 1/3 the price. I think this USA scam has been going on for years. My original chips were used and came with my used moats stuff a long time ago. They look much different than the chips available now from any country. All this scare is doing is helping someone pad their bank account. There may have been a time when the fake chips were one use only, but its long past that.
    Last edited by donf; 12-03-2019 at 08:38 PM.

The 27SF512 has variants, namely the speed 70-C3 vs 90-C3. The replica (MTP) chips with 90-C3 speed usually work with the Burn 2. The replica (MTP) chips with 70-C3 speed usually don't work with the Burn 2.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I've been using Winbond W27C512 chips for a while now, most of the fake SST 27sf512 chips on ebay are the winbond chips re-labeled. The big problem is if you have the Moates programmer as it only "supports" the SST chips for erasing and programming.... I have the MCUmall GQ-4x so I can flash either and even flash the stock chips after erasing them with the UV light.
    Last edited by c5wagner; 12-03-2019 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by c5wagner View Post
    The big problem is if you have the Moates programmer as it only "supports" the SST chips for erasing and programming..
    I got my "fake SST" chips direct from China Sept 2017. They work fine with Moates Burn2. The only time I ever had a problem was when i plugged the chip in wrong. So my fault not the chips. I erased and burned each one three times as a check, then put the one I sold with my van into use and burned and reburned that so many times I can not even keep track. Maybe I hit the jackpot of fake chip suppliers but I doubt it. If you buy on eBay and check them when you receive them I don't see the problem using them with Burn2 as any defects can be disputed. If a seller has a large amount of hassles with a product, it will show in their feedback. Either way the buyer is protected. I read all the warnings and fear spreading, and it turned out to be bogus for my needs as the China chip worked every bit as good as the originals. I guess it was 5 chips for 6 dollars and some change plus free shipping.

sst.jpg
    Last edited by donf; 12-04-2019 at 12:51 AM.

I looked up the exact seller I purchased from over 2 years ago. He does not sell the 5 pack any more but he offers a 10. Not sure if its the same supplier after all this time, but the ones I got work fine with the burn2. https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-SST27...G/173591184856

Wow, awesome price. Just ordered some to try.

Just curious if the chips the sellers offering now were working as well as the ones I purchased two years ago? He seems to be selling a ton of them and still holds 100% feedback.

So far so good, they seem to require a few erases before reprogram. Other than that I’m satisfied. The other thing I’ve noticed is the legs on the chip are lighter material than moates easier to Bend into a dip socket.