Quote Originally Posted by LeMarky Dissod View Post
LT1 Swap to LS 411 pcm

Although the video is 32min long for some reason, the gist of it is:
he converted his OBD1 LT1 into an OBD2 LT1 with a 96/97 front timing cover and added wiring for the OBD2 crank sensor
he repinned his harness into an 0411 pcm
he basically runs his OBD2 LT1 as an OBD2 L31

Of note, both the L31 & the LT1 both need only one coil to run.

In terms of inputs and outputs between the pcm and either engine, the distinctions between an OBD2 L31 and an OBD2 LT1 lack any meaningful differences.

Can't think of a cheaper way to use an 0411 pcm to run an LT1 - even though I'm not as imaginative and resourceful as y'all.

That said, if an OBD1 LT1 pcm can be coerced into reliably exceeding 29 highway MpG in an LT1 Caprice Roadmaster or Fleetwood without hypermiling, I'll be impressed regardless of how it's achieved, in inverse proportion to the cost, and not just because it would be novel.
It's neat, but it runs batch ignition, and you still need OBD2 interface software and hardware to mess with it. The hardware you could just make with parts if you had to (though personally, my attempt to do so with the OBD1 didn't go well, thus my $70 cable), and while flashing software that is free-as-in-beer is finally starting to materialize as of this year, it's very much prototype stuff and they warn you about that up front. Once that materializes, it'll make the OBD2 PCMs much more attractive.

That all said, yeah. It's still worth looking at the OBDI PCM. I wouldn't count it out so fast.