Thread: new GM tuner from Czech Republic

Carb and Points!

new GM tuner from Czech Republic

Hi guys, this is Miroslav from Czech Republic. I'm into 90s GM TBI cars. My dad drove them when I was kid, back then in Czech Republic everybody drove Ladas and Skodas, nobody knew that car can shift the gears by itself! Lot of us cars ended with Csaika, Bucegi, Avia or even MB 240D engines because of no spare parts were available. Those were great days and I decided to stick with this generation of cars, at least for a weekends. I own few whale caprices and 93 AWD Astro now, used to have crossfire corvette and 3rd gen Camaro. I came across OBD1 tuning and fell into it deeply. Now this is my fun time for evenings and weekends. What a shame this is quite ancient stuff, but I hope the knowledge learnt will come to be universal for more up-to-day tuning attempts that I think I will get to sooner or later.
    I have Moates tools, I read through the theory for about a year of free evenings now. I'm still at the begining, I only modified ECUs to fit the EEPROMs, and sucessfully burned chip for 6965 ecu with stock config. Today I made great step that I was messing with for quite long time - I successfully burned chip for 8625 ecu with stock bin! It was 64k not 56k, hmm, troubles with offsets.. I will continue with adjusting some static values, and eventually I will get to the tables, hopefully.
    My goal is to learn and learn until I will trust myself to swap L05 into Caprice instead of L03, convert to faster ecu (625 or 427) and fit Whipple TBI supercharger to it. Parts are in the shelfs, but I don't want to just experiment and eventually give up because being unprepared. I feel this is something I can not do at once, I should begin with L05 swap with G20 ecu that came with the engine, then convert to fast ecu, then the whipple. But before all this I must manage to understand how to do basics like EGR delete, adjusting VE tables, etc. and especially why the steps are done in the first place. This community provides loads of information including step-by-step how-to threads, but I want to understand what am I doing. Thank you all active members posting your knowhow, it is priceless for people like me!