Bringing TBI and Multi Port Fuel Injection to a New Level.     EFI Conversions and Tuning! Seattle to Portland! E-mail Tuning Consultant!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Desensitize the knock sensor 94/95 LT1

  1. #16
    Fuel Injected! vilefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    213
    heh. I'll just have to call off christmas.

  2. #17

  3. #18
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Orange, CA
    Posts
    143
    Usually "fails and won't let me reinstall" I use the forbidden technique of "uninstall as best I can, delete the directory if still present, then use a registry cleaner like CCleaner to delete the orphaned registry entries." This tends to let me reinstall whatever program was giving me trouble, though to be honest the last time I had that issue was decades ago with a virtual drive, and I've never had such an issue with EEHack.

    Your mileage may vary, but cleaning the registry of orphaned entries is a lot easier (and, in my experience, way more reliable) than using system restore. ;)

  4. #19
    Fuel Injected! spfautsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    535
    I've been sitting behind a telephone supporting hundreds of windows machines for the better part of 24 years. My mileage never varies. When in doubt I wipe it out (windows installation).

    Note that I do not use it on any of my personal machines. Windows runs just fine in VirtualBox on any linux distro.

    When my "registry" gets fouled up and eehack won't launch (never had it happen, completely speculative) I just delete /home/spfautsch/.config/EEHackB/fbodytech.com.conf and let the program create a new config file.

  5. #20
    Fuel Injected! vilefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    213
    What I had done is allow windows to associate log files with EEhack. Then, I double clicked on a log file, and EEhack does this.
    EEHACK ERROR1.jpg
    then this.
    EEHACK ERROR2.jpg
    Perhaps I should post this in a matching section for the subject.

  6. #21
    Electronic Ignition!
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Age
    35
    Posts
    16
    Mine was working perfectly.
    I tried to open a log without actually having EEHack open. When I clicked on the log, it asked to open EEHack. So I proceeded.
    Then threw the error up at me and has done so ever since.
    I’ve even tried to download the new beta you have and still the same thing is happening. No clue honestly.

  7. #22
    Electronic Ignition!
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Age
    35
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by spfautsch View Post
    I've been sitting behind a telephone supporting hundreds of windows machines for the better part of 24 years. My mileage never varies. When in doubt I wipe it out (windows installation).

    Note that I do not use it on any of my personal machines. Windows runs just fine in VirtualBox on any linux distro.

    When my "registry" gets fouled up and eehack won't launch (never had it happen, completely speculative) I just delete /home/spfautsch/.config/EEHackB/fbodytech.com.conf and let the program create a new config file.
    I’ll try this. Thanks.

  8. #23
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Orange, CA
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by roachjuice View Post
    I’ll try this. Thanks.
    Note that this is for a Linux machine, not a Windows machine. He uses Linux for his EEHack machine.

    Registry cleaners like CCleaner will identify that there are registry entries associated with a program/directory that no longer exist (such as the .eehack file association, and any other entries the program created upon installation) and clear them out. This way you can specifically target changes EEhack made, rather than resorting to trying to restore the system to an earlier point in time (something of a carpetbombing approach to a specific issue with a specific program, not to mention unreliable in my experience) or nuking your entire Windows installation and starting over (far more reliable than system restore but a total waste of time and effort for such an unbelievably minor issue).

    Just sayin'.

  9. #24
    Electronic Ignition!
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Age
    35
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by NomakeWan View Post
    Note that this is for a Linux machine, not a Windows machine. He uses Linux for his EEHack machine.

    Registry cleaners like CCleaner will identify that there are registry entries associated with a program/directory that no longer exist (such as the .eehack file association, and any other entries the program created upon installation) and clear them out. This way you can specifically target changes EEhack made, rather than resorting to trying to restore the system to an earlier point in time (something of a carpetbombing approach to a specific issue with a specific program, not to mention unreliable in my experience) or nuking your entire Windows installation and starting over (far more reliable than system restore but a total waste of time and effort for such an unbelievably minor issue).

    Just sayin'.
    i ended up running ccleaner. didnt work.
    i reverted back too a previous windows save. eehack works again. i dont keep anything on this pc as its from 2008 lol. all i do with it is tune and datalog and it barely does that. thanks again for the help.

  10. #25
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Orange, CA
    Posts
    143
    I know it's irrelevant since you already used system restore with success, but did you uninstall EEhack, remove its installation directory, then use the registry cleaning function in CCleaner to remove the orphaned entries? Just for my own personal curiosity.

    As I said I haven't run into these issues with it before, but hey, if I do, it'll be good to know.

  11. #26
    Fuel Injected! spfautsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    535
    When I get a moment to play with a winblows machine I'll dig through the registry and possibly have a suggestion to fix this involving deleting the file association subkeys for .eedata. I'm relatively sure it's related to the DDE transaction that happens when explorer feeds a flie list to the associated executable.

    Of course, the obvious solution to this one is not to associate .eedata files to anything. DDE is the brainchild of insane coders from the 80s.

  12. #27
    Electronic Ignition!
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Age
    35
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by NomakeWan View Post
    I know it's irrelevant since you already used system restore with success, but did you uninstall EEhack, remove its installation directory, then use the registry cleaning function in CCleaner to remove the orphaned entries? Just for my own personal curiosity.

    As I said I haven't run into these issues with it before, but hey, if I do, it'll be good to know.
    yes I did. It still did the same thing. Even though ccleaner found files EEHack left. I saw them on the list. Oh well. It works now. I’m not concerned. Just word to future people. Don’t open a log without having EEHack open first. It will fuck EEHack all up.

  13. #28
    Electronic Ignition!
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Age
    35
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by spfautsch View Post
    When I get a moment to play with a winblows machine I'll dig through the registry and possibly have a suggestion to fix this involving deleting the file association subkeys for .eedata. I'm relatively sure it's related to the DDE transaction that happens when explorer feeds a flie list to the associated executable.

    Of course, the obvious solution to this one is not to associate .eedata files to anything. DDE is the brainchild of insane coders from the 80s.
    Yea Iím sure itís related to the DDE. I know what that is. I just donít wanna mess with it lol. Minor glitch for an awesome program.

  14. #29
    Fuel Injected! steveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,821
    its crazy this is happening. eehack is a really basic program with really generic (but bloated because i use qt) library set.

    i made the file association with this generic installer-maker-thingie program i was using.

    i lost the install script and forget which program i used....... so ill be using something else for the next version

    hopefully that means problem solved....?

    we shall see.

    i refuse to give a crap about or research or look into how windows file associations actually work in modern versions of windows.

  15. #30
    Fuel Injected! spfautsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    i refuse to give a crap about or research or look into how windows file associations actually work in modern versions of windows.
    Now you're starting to sound almost as curmudgeonly as I do. When I went to work for my current employer (21 years ago) I was the Microsoft kool-aid drinker, and my boss was the dyed-in-the-wool linux bigot. Ironically, our roles have completely reversed. His current punishment for me is deploying Exchange server after running sendmail and then postfix for the past 25 years. I would rather drink gasoline.

    Personally, I would simply remove the file associations but that's because I never bothered creating one in my current setup and there is no linux installer package. But that's me - the first time I went to open an old log in eehack I brought the datalog window up and habitually pressed ctrl+o only to find there are no accelerator keys.

Similar Threads

  1. Knock sensor counts when sensor not connected?
    By 89S10_Project in forum GM EFI Systems
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2016, 08:47 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-17-2015, 02:16 PM
  3. Knock retard happening without knock sensor? 16197427
    By Scorp1us in forum GM EFI Systems
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-05-2014, 04:13 PM
  4. Knock Sensor, Knock Filter, ESC and swaps!
    By JeepsAndGuns in forum GM EFI Systems
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 09:59 AM
  5. knock sensor not detecting knock
    By PJG1173 in forum GM EFI Systems
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-10-2012, 09:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •