Thread: Multiple Questions

Carb and Points!

Multiple Questions

Hello, My name is Nathan Parks and I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for awhile. I started out in the early 2000s soldering chips into P28 Honda ECUs to use Uberdata and Crome Pro along with EEPROM programmers. I've also donated tons of money to Moates.net over the years by buying their equipment and I still have one of their stickers on my truck that has been there for 10+ years. I'm telling you all this so you don't think I'm some uneducated newb unwilling to use the search feature.

I've recently had a passion for tinkering reignited over the last year in the General Motors market. I drive a 2007 Tahoe with a e38 PCM that I've been tinkering with using HP Tuners and EFI Live. I currently own an EFI Live Flash Scan V2, HPTuners MPVI2, VXDiag Nano and OBDLink MX+. A buddy of mine has a 2003 Silverado he swapped a 5.3 into with a P59 PCM and asked for me to enable E-Fans and tune it for him. I obliged but also immediately went to the web to see if there were any DIY solutions that are cheaper than the $50 x2 credit fee HP Tuners charges. Needless to say, I've been awake for days sifting through all this convoluted information amazed at how unorganized it all seems to be.

So, with that being said, could someone please answer the following questions.

1. When it comes to bin files from 1mb PCM's, I can't find any 100% completed XDF's that I'm willing to use to edit the bin file. I'm currently using LS Droid to pull the bin file from the PCM and opening them in TunerPro RT. Would it be possible to flash the PCM with HP Tuners or EFI Live and only change (1) parameter at a time and then compare it to a bone stock bin to start mapping out changes to make an XDF file? To me, this sounds time-consuming but I'm willing to give a go.

2. Are there any good tutorials or YouTube videos that show exactly how one sifts through the raw hex to even create the roadmap? I've literally have no clue where to start and only have coding experience with HTML.

3. Would I be wasting my time if I purchased a domain and built a WordPress site to try and help organize all the bin files and XDFs floating around on multiple sites? Can I even legally do this in regards to GM possibly having restrictions on people hosting their BIN files?

4. Is this scene still alive? Honest question, especially with standalone systems like Holley coming out with the Terminator X that has a built-in wideband feature for under $1000. I see LS Droid and other tools are relatively new but I feel I'm too new in this GM world to honestly know.

I've been using TunerCats OBD2 for several years, avoiding the "Pay per Flash" expense. I also tune OBD2 with EFI Live V2.

The questions posted above are very good, especially #4. The overwhelming majority of LSx project owners like simple, easy, and low cost tuning solutions. It seems challenging to me that an aftermarket self tuning system would provide the best possible LSx performance. It seems to me the aftermarket self tuning systems are increasingly becoming the simple, easy, and low cost tuning solution the LSx project owner is opting to purchase.

dave w