Thread: Long Starting with EBL Flash and TunerPro software

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Electronic Ignition!

Long Starting with EBL Flash and TunerPro software

I installed an ECM from EBL Flash and tuning with TunerPro software on my '94 K1500 P/U with a 350 TBI. I did not have this problem with my stock ECM and it started as soon as I switched.... I have to crank the engine for about 25-30 seconds when it is cold and when it is at operating temp it will not start at all. I have noticed that it starts as soon as the oil pressure shows just above the red line. Is there a way to tune out the oil pressure switch or is it a problem with the sensor? How would I go about fixing it? Thanks.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by beast94 View Post
    I installed an ECM from EBL Flash and tuning with TunerPro software on my '94 K1500 P/U with a 350 TBI. I did not have this problem with my stock ECM and it started as soon as I switched.... I have to crank the engine for about 25-30 seconds when it is cold and when it is at operating temp it will not start at all. I have noticed that it starts as soon as the oil pressure shows just above the red line. Is there a way to tune out the oil pressure switch or is it a problem with the sensor? How would I go about fixing it? Thanks.
    Seems weird that it would have started when you swapped PCM's but , check that the fuel pump relay is getting a "prime" siginal from the ECM .

The pump has two circuits that power it , one is a "prime" command from the ECM that the fuel pump relay gets before and during cranking , the other is via the OPSU (Oil pressure sending unit) , this actually runs the pump as long as the engine has oil pressure.

If the ECM is not commanding a "prime" before and during cranking the engine will not receive fuel pressure until the OPSU "sees" oil pressure and closes that part of the circuit.

HTH

TOM
    1994 3500 Dually , 502 (509) , 264HR , Edelbrock MPFI , PFI '7427
    1992 S-10 434 SBC/Tremec - '7427
    1986 Monte Carlo SS
    1984 S-10 , SAS, 496/700R4/205 , D44/14BFF -'7427
    1980 Z-28 496/700R4
    1979 Corvette 496/700R4
    1977 Olds 98 Regency 403/700R4

What he said...

94? Does this have an Auto trans and the 2 ECM now? May be a wiring issue.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    I was thinking it was a fuel prime issue so I replaced my fuel pump relay with no change. Is there a line item in the software for prime length? I can try that.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by beast94 View Post
    I was thinking it was a fuel prime issue so I replaced my fuel pump relay with no change. Is there a line item in the software for prime length? I can try that.
    Is the EBL actually triggering the relay to activate during the "prime" and during cranking ?

I believe pin A1 is the fuel pump relay siginal wire on the EBL wiring , which siginals the relay to activate . I would check to be sure you have a siginal there first .

TOM
    1994 3500 Dually , 502 (509) , 264HR , Edelbrock MPFI , PFI '7427
    1992 S-10 434 SBC/Tremec - '7427
    1986 Monte Carlo SS
    1984 S-10 , SAS, 496/700R4/205 , D44/14BFF -'7427
    1980 Z-28 496/700R4
    1979 Corvette 496/700R4
    1977 Olds 98 Regency 403/700R4

Electronic Ignition!
    Ok, I will check that. It will be a couple weeks before I can do it. Im away from home right now. I will make sure to post back when I get a chance.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    What he said...

94? Does this have an Auto trans and the 2 ECM now? May be a wiring issue.
    Yes, it has a 4L60E. I had to repin the Engine ECM and splice in the OEM ECM to run my transmission. I am going to be getting rid of the OEM ECM and replace it with an actual trans controler soon. I will double check my wire pinning and wiring.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty-Z View Post
    Seems weird that it would have started when you swapped PCM's but , check that the fuel pump relay is getting a "prime" siginal from the ECM .

The pump has two circuits that power it , one is a "prime" command from the ECM that the fuel pump relay gets before and during cranking , the other is via the OPSU (Oil pressure sending unit) , this actually runs the pump as long as the engine has oil pressure.

If the ECM is not commanding a "prime" before and during cranking the engine will not receive fuel pressure until the OPSU "sees" oil pressure and closes that part of the circuit.

HTH

TOM
    How do I check the tune for the the "prime command"

Electronic Ignition!
    Ok, I talked to Bob at Dynamic EFI and he said that he thinks I have a faild component in the ECM for the priming. He recommended that I swap A1 over to F6 and that fixed my priming issue for now until I can send my ECM back to him for repair. I replaced my distributor, because I was going to do that anyway in about 2 weeks. That fixed my hard starting issue. Now it runs good. Its back to tuning for me! Thanks everyone for you help.

Glad you got er done! RBob and Dynamic EFI are excellent products and tech support, really rare to see anything not perfect to come from there, but stuff does happen.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    I am having another issue now. I cannot update or program any banks. I have the key on and the WUD says that I am communicating with the ECM, but when I try to update or program any bank, it tells me it failed. The connectoins are good and everything and I can veiw data when the engine is running. What should I look at to fix it. Thanks