Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Starting with EBL Flash and TunerPro software

Electronic Ignition!

Long Starting with EBL Flash and TunerPro software

I installed an ECM from EBL Flash and tuning with TunerPro software on my '94 K1500 P/U with a 350 TBI. I did not have this problem with my stock ECM and it started as soon as I switched.... I have to crank the engine for about 25-30 seconds when it is cold and when it is at operating temp it will not start at all. I have noticed that it starts as soon as the oil pressure shows just above the red line. Is there a way to tune out the oil pressure switch or is it a problem with the sensor? How would I go about fixing it? Thanks.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by beast94 View Post
    I installed an ECM from EBL Flash and tuning with TunerPro software on my '94 K1500 P/U with a 350 TBI. I did not have this problem with my stock ECM and it started as soon as I switched.... I have to crank the engine for about 25-30 seconds when it is cold and when it is at operating temp it will not start at all. I have noticed that it starts as soon as the oil pressure shows just above the red line. Is there a way to tune out the oil pressure switch or is it a problem with the sensor? How would I go about fixing it? Thanks.
    Seems weird that it would have started when you swapped PCM's but , check that the fuel pump relay is getting a "prime" siginal from the ECM .

The pump has two circuits that power it , one is a "prime" command from the ECM that the fuel pump relay gets before and during cranking , the other is via the OPSU (Oil pressure sending unit) , this actually runs the pump as long as the engine has oil pressure.

If the ECM is not commanding a "prime" before and during cranking the engine will not receive fuel pressure until the OPSU "sees" oil pressure and closes that part of the circuit.

HTH

TOM
    1994 3500 Dually , 502 (509) , 264HR , Edelbrock MPFI , PFI '7427
    1992 S-10 434 SBC/Tremec - '7427
    1986 Monte Carlo SS
    1984 S-10 , SAS, 496/700R4/205 , D44/14BFF -'7427
    1980 Z-28 496/700R4
    1979 Corvette 496/700R4
    1977 Olds 98 Regency 403/700R4

What he said...

94? Does this have an Auto trans and the 2 ECM now? May be a wiring issue.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    I was thinking it was a fuel prime issue so I replaced my fuel pump relay with no change. Is there a line item in the software for prime length? I can try that.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    What he said...

94? Does this have an Auto trans and the 2 ECM now? May be a wiring issue.
    Yes, it has a 4L60E. I had to repin the Engine ECM and splice in the OEM ECM to run my transmission. I am going to be getting rid of the OEM ECM and replace it with an actual trans controler soon. I will double check my wire pinning and wiring.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by beast94 View Post
    I was thinking it was a fuel prime issue so I replaced my fuel pump relay with no change. Is there a line item in the software for prime length? I can try that.
    Is the EBL actually triggering the relay to activate during the "prime" and during cranking ?

I believe pin A1 is the fuel pump relay siginal wire on the EBL wiring , which siginals the relay to activate . I would check to be sure you have a siginal there first .

TOM
    1994 3500 Dually , 502 (509) , 264HR , Edelbrock MPFI , PFI '7427
    1992 S-10 434 SBC/Tremec - '7427
    1986 Monte Carlo SS
    1984 S-10 , SAS, 496/700R4/205 , D44/14BFF -'7427
    1980 Z-28 496/700R4
    1979 Corvette 496/700R4
    1977 Olds 98 Regency 403/700R4

Electronic Ignition!
    Ok, I will check that. It will be a couple weeks before I can do it. Im away from home right now. I will make sure to post back when I get a chance.

Electronic Ignition!
    Ok, I got back yesterday and I will be getting my truck in a day or so. I will let you all know whats up when I get it. I saw a recent post about a similar issue, so I will be watching that one as well. Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by beast94; 05-23-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Ok, I checke the wiring to the relay and the ECM. Everything looks like it is wired correctly.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty-Z View Post
    Seems weird that it would have started when you swapped PCM's but , check that the fuel pump relay is getting a "prime" siginal from the ECM .

The pump has two circuits that power it , one is a "prime" command from the ECM that the fuel pump relay gets before and during cranking , the other is via the OPSU (Oil pressure sending unit) , this actually runs the pump as long as the engine has oil pressure.

If the ECM is not commanding a "prime" before and during cranking the engine will not receive fuel pressure until the OPSU "sees" oil pressure and closes that part of the circuit.

HTH

TOM
    How do I check the tune for the the "prime command"

Electronic Ignition!
    Ok, I talked to Bob at Dynamic EFI and he said that he thinks I have a faild component in the ECM for the priming. He recommended that I swap A1 over to F6 and that fixed my priming issue for now until I can send my ECM back to him for repair. I replaced my distributor, because I was going to do that anyway in about 2 weeks. That fixed my hard starting issue. Now it runs good. Its back to tuning for me! Thanks everyone for you help.

Glad you got er done! RBob and Dynamic EFI are excellent products and tech support, really rare to see anything not perfect to come from there, but stuff does happen.

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    I am having another issue now. I cannot update or program any banks. I have the key on and the WUD says that I am communicating with the ECM, but when I try to update or program any bank, it tells me it failed. The connectoins are good and everything and I can veiw data when the engine is running. What should I look at to fix it. Thanks

Usually when I have an issue like that with TunerPro I just close everything restart, reload and all is well. I've just never played with the Dynamic EFI so not sure on specifics there. does it need key on or engine running? I have an issue with my laptop that sometimes my left USB port works with TunerPro and sometimes my right USB port works with TunerPro and once I get the right one it's fine till I use something else in a USB port or restart the computer. I am told this is not possible with Windows 7 but it still happens to this day. Once both USB ports worked which is the way it is supposed to be?

I'd really like to help but you need to realize RBob/Dynamic EFI is very serious about his reputation of tech support and he'd be glad to help, I have never heard anyone say anything other then he was absolutely available and ready to assist!

Have you read some of the long threads at Thirdgen.org on EBL?

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Ok, I will try restarting everything. I have had a good experience with Bob and Dynamic EFI. He has been more than helpful. I will email him about it if this does not fix it. I created a thridgen log in, but for some reason I wasnt able to get on it, I will try again. Is the EBL big there? Im having some tuning issues now too. Or some reason no matter what I do, it thinks I have a perminant knock and the KNK is peged to max. I am getting 15 degrees spark advance at idle, but when Im driving Im only seeing 8 degrees. That is not consistant with my SA main table. What should I look at to fix this? Also when it enters lean cruise mode it throws a trouble code, but when I open up the MALF codes, I do not see a code thrown by it. It is only when its in lean cruise (in 4th gear and above 40 MPH). When I let off the gas pedal the code goes away. I am going to be installing my WB sensor tomorrow. Thanks for you help.