Thread: Electric speedometer hookup

Fuel Injected!

Electric speedometer hookup

Can I use the VSS signal for the SW electric speedometer? If so where do I tap into it?

GearHead-EFI Vendor!
    Hi, which EBL Flash system do you have? And what type of input does the SW speedometer require? The VSS input/output varies among the systems.

Odds are you can.

RBob.

Fuel Injected!

VSS

Quote Originally Posted by RBob View Post
    Hi, which EBL Flash system do you have? And what type of input does the SW speedometer require? The VSS input/output varies among the systems.

Odds are you can.

RBob.
    I have the EBL Flash-II
    The speedometer needs 12v
    Input 3K-100K per mile Hall effect sensor or magnetic sensor
    Attached Files Attached Files

GearHead-EFI Vendor!
    The typical PPM for TBI setups is 2K PPM. The VSS input to the ECM is on A10, it is a digital signal that swings from 0 to 12 volts. So that part is OK.

If the vehicle has a magnetic VSS, that is usually a 4K PPM or higher (depends upon which type). So that can be used.

RBob.

Fuel Injected!
    The typical PPM for TBI setups is 2K PPM. The VSS input to the ECM is on A10, it is a digital signal that swings from 0 to 12 volts. So that part is OK.

If the vehicle has a magnetic VSS, that is usually a 4K PPM or higher (depends upon which type). So that can be used.

RBob.
    I have a 2K sender from JTR. Can I just splice into the A10 lead for the speedometer?

GearHead-EFI Vendor!
    That won't work with the SW speedometer, as the lowest it requires is 3K PPM.

You may be able to use a Dakota Digital SGI-5 box to bump the VSS PPM signal to a higher value. And feed the SW speedometer from it. I looked at the SGI-5 instructions and bumping up a 2K signal is not mentioned. Best to get in touch with them to see if it can.

The input to the SGI-5 box would be from ECM pin A10. A digital, 2K PPM signal.

RBob.

Fuel Injected!
    That won't work with the SW speedometer, as the lowest it requires is 3K PPM.

You may be able to use a Dakota Digital SGI-5 box to bump the VSS PPM signal to a higher value. And feed the SW speedometer from it. I looked at the SGI-5 instructions and bumping up a 2K signal is not mentioned. Best to get in touch with them to see if it can.

The input to the SGI-5 box would be from ECM pin A10. A digital, 2K PPM signal.

RBob.
    Another option that may be considered is to add either a SW vss P/N 82623B or JTR vss 4PRS mounted in tandem and wired independently to their respective device. My Jeep is set up this way for a variety of reasons and works just fine.
    Ed