Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a better $8D

Looking for a better $8D

I think I have pretty much decided to use the 7727 with my jeep 4.0 ecm conversion. Its underhood weatherproof (like the stock jeep ecm) is a factory mpfi ecm, its obd1, tuneable, and I can use tunerpro and my autoprom with it.

I think I have decided to run $8D instead of $A1, 8D is set up for a distributor, and for now I am gonna just use that, I may one day in the future convert to DIS, but not anytime soon. Gonna see how the swap goes first.
    I was looking through the few diffrent xdf's I have found and have not really been all that impressed with them. I thought the 7727/7730 and 8D was really popular? but it seems not as much work has been done to the xdf as others. Everything is just all mixed up, instead of being grouped together in diffrent sections and labeled like in the 0E xdf I use for my 7427. Also all the "flags/switchs" make no sense, it seems none are labeled to what actually does what. Also hardly and parameter comments. I have tried a few diffrent ones gotten from here, moates, tunerpro. Seems some have items others dont, some seem a little better than others, but none all that great.
    So does anyone have a better 8D xdf? I guess I have gotten used to (or mabey I should say "spoiled") by the 0E xdf I have been using with my 7427 made by 93v8s10. But I even remember back when I had my 7747 and having a better xdf for it. So why no really good ones?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Super Moderator
    i've always been quite confused by this as well... considering how many guys on TGO alone run 8D, it's kind of odd that the XDFs out there are either incomplete or inaccurate. i think even the Super8D variants aren't 100%.

one more reason why i like my A1.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    *edit* heres what i have, a few things in the bin might be different but you would end up changing everything to match your engine anyway. HTH
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 34blazer; 05-06-2012 at 04:10 AM.

Here is an Excel spreadsheet (VE Fixer) for $8D.

dave w

I have that xdf too blazer, seems like I remember reading somewhere that those super aujp xdf's require using super aujp bins? I want a good xdf that you can use with stock bins.

Its times like these that I wish I was smart enough to work on these files, and I would combine all the incomplete ones into a better one, and have parameter names that actually make sense. But I am simply at the mercy of smater people.

I have searched through all the 8D xdf's I have found and have found one thats a little more better labeled and laid out than others, but also doesnt have some items/parameters that others do. I have downloaded so many, I have no idea where I got this one from. So I changed the file name to $8DJP, with JP simply being my initials. I just wanted a way to keep this one seperate from the crap loads of the other ones I have, so I wouldnt loose it. I will post it up for others to look at.

I wish we could find someone who knows how to, and is willing to make up a new/better/more complete $8D from all the others.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Best place to start is with a well commented hac. Then you are pretty much only limited by your imagination.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

TunerPro XDF and ADX files are community built and shared. Some guys do the work and don't share back. Others start and do what they need, that's why we end up with several incomplete files.

Actually something I have wanted to implement here is an adoption program where people who use certain XDF and ADX start working on them and they keep improving and we keep track of updated files. I have done many as I help others and when I get my hands on a vehicle with that mask ID. But I'd have to say my adopted files are $42, $EE and now working on $0E but it's hard to improve on...

TGO guys went the route of John Pell S_AUJP and it has some bin changes so output data is better. Probably not documented for the beginner, but your not a newb anymore either!

I think before that was the Super 8dm2.ecu file and it is a good one. Some comments have been implemented into the TunerPro file, but it could be better! TunerPro is more capable now. All the information is here:
    http://www.edgesz28.com/edgesz28/sup.../super8ecu.htm

It is a lot of work to get one of these complete, then figure out how to comment things, then put things in categories like the $0E stuff your used to, or $42 now is way better than a few years ago but that has over 100 hours into it. (I always stop keeping track at 100...)

You took on the EFI dictionary and did a great job and now have a better understanding of terms, because of your efforts now everyone has a place to start. Your up to speed, take on $8D and make it better. I can show you how to make changes in the XDF file. Since Super 8dm2 is started and has lots of comments and even a manual for constants, flags and tables that would be a good start. Take the manual and install it parameter by parameter into XDF in comments. With the way TunerPro RT V5 is set up is's very capable and easy to do. If you find other XDF files have something this does not we can check the hack and copy and paste it in.

After your first 10 hours you will begin to understand how much effort 93V8S10 has into these files he has shared with us!

Here's the Super 8Dm2.ecu file imported and saved as an XDF. Use it with the website manual available at link above and go for it!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    J&G, S_AUJP is by far the most complete version of 8D out there right now. if youre concerned about using a stock bin, you can grab one and use the "cpy frm cmpr" feature, i used AXXD for my car as it was the closest match for my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by 34blazer View Post
    J&G, S_AUJP is by far the most complete version of 8D out there right now. if youre concerned about using a stock bin, you can grab one and use the "cpy frm cmpr" feature, i used AXXD for my car as it was the closest match for my setup.
    I don't recommend using an S_AUJP XDF with a non S_AUJP bin. Some of the locations have been changed, and some things are completely missing from the stock bins that are in the S_AUJP bins, that if you use "copy from compare" might change values that you don't want to change.

The items in the XDF are based solely on location, not by name, or function. What this means means is that in two different bins with the same items listed can use two different locations and using the copy from compare can change values that you don't want changed, or change instructional parts of the bin, that should never be changed.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Super Moderator
    a "quick" way of integrating all of the XDFs for a various application can be done by opening 2 tunerpro instances and using the copy/paste feature when you find something that's present in one XDF, but not another.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    I don't recommend using an S_AUJP XDF with a non S_AUJP bin. Some of the locations have been changed, and some things are completely missing from the stock bins that are in the S_AUJP bins, that if you use "copy from compare" might change values that you don't want to change.

The items in the XDF are based solely on location, not by name, or function. What this means means is that in two different bins with the same items listed can use two different locations and using the copy from compare can change values that you don't want changed, or change instructional parts of the bin, that should never be changed.

i see what you are saying. ive only changed basic things like IAC functions, and small parts of the spark table. something like the extended VE table wont work, if i use the compare feature it shows all zeros.

Not requesting a xdf that has a super nice dictionary comment for every parameter explaining exactly what it does and how. I'm just simply wanting a xdf that has all parameters avalable, and are at least titled correctly.
    The parameter titles in the flags area on most all I have seen are horrable. Why cant it just say "error code 13-oxygen sensor failure" instead of "error code mask 23-12-bit 6-13" With no discription of what error code it is. Same thing for the switches for turning features on and off.
    I wouldnt have a problem going through and re nameing the parmeters, as long as I knew what correctly goes there. I dont want to label a parameter error code 13 oxygen sensor failure, when its actually the error code 14 egr valve failure. Or call a table something its not. I would also give it better organization if I knew how to move parameters, and make sections (or whatever you want to call them) But I have no clue how to do that. I also have no clue how to add new parameters, and how would I make sure its reading the correct part of the bin? If it involves looking at the hex stuff, I might as well be looking at chicken scratch and trying to read it. All those numbers/letters/symbols in the address make no sense to me.
    I am just really scared and relunctant to start doing all that, cause just one tiny boo-boo on my end could mess up my, or someone elses engine if something gets entered wrong. How would you know if its entered in wrong? When you wite a book, you have spell check, but if you make a xdf, I doubt there is xdf check...lol
    I would need a REALLY good teacher and some even better laymans terms, very detailed directions, and then I would probably have millions of questions and still be nervous.
    I too had thought about opening two tp's and copy and pasteing parameters, if I knew how, and you mention checking the hac. I downloaded it from the 8D thread and looked at it, and I may as well been trying to read japaniese....lol
    If I could just get a xdf that had all avalable parameters in it, I would feel a little better about giving them better names and mabey a discription, and grouping them up (would have to learn how) Its just the adding new items/parameters that scares me.

Many years ago, long before there was even a TunerPro V3 available, I used TunerCats for $8D. Over the years, TunerPro has improved, but TunerCats has been somewhat stagnate. I still use TunerCats $8D, for some of the reasons mentioned above. It might surprise some members here, but many of the "One-Line PROM Chip Companies" use TunerCats not TunerPro to edit their .bin files.

dave w

Administrator
    I know for a fact there are more parameters to adjust in $8D than what can be included in a Tunercat definition file. I spent some time for a friend working out the shift light parameters. When I tried to add them I had to remove parameters to add parameters. I ended up making a separate $8D for manual trans.

As far as making changes to the TP definition file start with something easy like the prom ID or the or scan ID. Look at the hac and locate these values. Remember to subtract $8000 from all the addresses in the hac to get the address used in TP. Prom id is at $0008. Go to that parameter in TP and press F2 to bring up the info for that parameter. Look at the data format and use simple matching skills to figure out what's going on. If you hit a parameter that you don't understand you can skip it and move onto another.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 05-07-2012 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Many years ago, long before there was even a TunerPro V3 available, I used TunerCats for $8D. Over the years, TunerPro has improved, but TunerCats has been somewhat stagnate. I still use TunerCats $8D, for some of the reasons mentioned above. It might surprise some members here, but many of the "One-Line PROM Chip Companies" use TunerCats not TunerPro to edit their .bin files.

dave w
    I'm trying to read between the words on that one, hint on the name?

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    I know for a fact there are more parameters to adjust in $8D than what can be included in a Tunercat definition file. I spent some time for a friend working out the shift light parameters. When I tried to add them I had to remove parameters to add parameters. I ended up making a separate $8D for manual trans.

As far as making changes to the TP definition file start with something easy like the prom ID or the or scan ID. Look at the hac and locate these values. Remember to subtract $8000 from all the addresses in the hac to get the address used in TP. Prom id is at $0008. Go to that parameter in TP and press F2 to bring up the info for that parameter. Look at the data format and use simple matching skills to figure out what's going on. If you hit a parameter that you don't understand you can skip it and move onto another.
    This is basically what I was going to suggest.

I know for me, I just played with XDFs, and compared them (before you could open two instances of Tuner Pro at the same time on the same computer), and clicked around until things started to make sense. I had to use both my PC and my laptop to do this, so copying items was done by hand, not copy and paste. :P

If you have a large screen or dual monitors it makes comparing things easier, you can have both instances of TP open side by side, and not have to switch back and forth.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.