Thread: Volumetric Efficiency

Electronic Ignition!

Volumetric Efficiency

If I'm understanding VE tables correctly, the numbers should mimic the torque curve of the engine in a sense. Higher were the engine is most efficient. Or is there another way to look it. Thanks.

Fuel Injected!
    Yes peak ve is peak torque and should end up shaped a lot like you're torque curve

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    If I'm understanding VE tables correctly, the numbers should mimic the torque curve of the engine in a sense. Higher were the engine is most efficient. Or is there another way to look it. Thanks.
    Higher numbers mean more air which means more fuel.

Remember VE % that shows on your fuel table is directly related to how close you calculate your injector flow. A mistake there can drastically skew the table one way or another. Not just in Tunerpro but others. On the HP tuner forum someone was bragging their engine was way over the VE % that is normally found, like they were some great engine builder. They got taken to school quickly. If it is unusually high, all it means is they have a mistake on their injector math or they have a fuel supply problem.
    Last edited by donf; 09-03-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    Remember VE % that shows on your fuel table is directly related to how close you calculate your injector flow. A mistake there can drastically skew the table one way or another. Not just in Tunerpro but others. On the HP tuner forum someone was bragging their engine was way over the VE % that is normally found, like they were some great engine builder. They got taken to school quickly. If it is unusually high, all it means is they have a mistake on their injector math or they have a fuel supply problem.
    So I guess I need to work out the exact fuel requirement's with that long formula, then double check my injector capacity and pressure. I can see how one could go in circles with this. Thanks for the advice.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    I can remember a thread where I had abnormally high readings from a L31. Injectors were correctly calibrated and sized as was the engine displacement. The stoich value was also correct for the E10 fuel. I had to multiply most of the MAF and MAP table values by 1.1 or 1.15 to even get close on the wideband to hitting my targets. My VE numbers are in the 110-120% range at 3,500 rpm. Even the stock 350 Vortec tune had cells over 100%. That engine made 330 rwtq through a 4L85E and 9.5" 14-bolt. I am not sure why it required so much VE to get the fueling correct as I had SC 3.8 42# hr injectors and a 340 LPH fuel pump and held 58 psi even at WOT. Injector information was out of a stock GN ASA Corvette tune running the same injectors even.