Bringing TBI and Multi Port Fuel Injection to a New Level.     EFI Conversions and Tuning! Seattle to Portland! E-mail Tuning Consultant!

Thread: 94 Buick RoadMaster Estate Wagon LT 1 issues

Carb and Points!

94 Buick RoadMaster Estate Wagon LT 1 issues

Iím sure I posted some time ago but I couldnít find it. Also did a search but couldnít find that either.
    So just to recap
    94 Buick RoadMaster Estate Wagon LT 1
    this Car only has 110k on it and is like a brand new car. A granny had it since new and it was like a daughter to her.

anyway the car has never seen a winter. No rust just minor weather stains.

So I get it and it runs fine for about 5k miles then it developed a miss across the board. Since I no longer have a place to work on cars Iím forced to ďtake it to the shopĒ. Well the shop tells me the trans is not shifting properly and needs rebuilding. Iím not buying this and go to 4 more shops all saying the same thing.
    finally I run into a guy who is old school that ďfixesĒ things rather than throw parts at it hoping to hit the one that works. He says the trans is fine.

Long story shorter.
    new belts, air cleaner, oil change with Wix filter, fluids topped off. Suddenly the car stops running altogether. So new fuel pump and Wix fuel filter. Car runs but still has Miss. new Cats both sides, new O2 sensors (one was definitely bad)
    checking the motor for leaks and we find the Opti Spark is saturated with oil. Seal behind it is bad. New Opti Spark and vacuum line, new water pump. New plug wires and plugs. EGR is not functioning. New EGR.
    More scans. Motor is running very rich on left bank. O2 out if range so it is replaced again.

Now it runs rich on the right bank. But all sensors are in range and almost dead center of range.
    Very thorough inspection of intake hoses. They all are nice and flexible, none oil soaked or brittle. All clamps centered and tightened....not excessively.

Now I might add that I specified to use all GM OEM parts. No MSD, no aftermarket hard parts. Mostly because of my experiences and others of my cruise groups. Even the OPTI was new old stock.

car still has a miss. Mpg has gone from 21-22 to 12-13. Also have run several tanks of non oxy premium through it. It still is solidly rich on the right bank.

i went and got the EEHACK and a brand new laptop just to run scans on this car. Even got a cool memory stick for USB port and connection to download to Apple IPad Air lol. Unfortunately misplaced during recent move.

however my scans show exactly the same as high dollar tool man scanner.

one thing that seems unusual in that I canít reset the BLM while others say I should be able to do.

Last week my guy got a very expensive smoke tester. It showed no,leaks. I suggested he compression test the whole motor which means I get charged for plug R &R again.

I told him at this point I donít care, just fix the car, what ever it takes, I need the car as my el Camino will be headed for winter storage shortly and the Buick will be my driver. Itís only been 6 months of messing around. He is getting tired of having the car around and Iím very frustrated.

i didnít call him last week as I didnít want to be a pest but he called me and said he had new OEM injectors coming Friday and would install them as soon as he could. Heís been very fair with charges and so I canít complain there. Nobody else around will even look at the car now. They see me coming and they put the closed sign in the window.

Im looking for any help I can get. It may be a bad computer but the general feeling I get is that these hold up pretty well. There are at least 6 Other LT 1 in the cruise groups I hang out with and all are virtually trouble free. All have a log more miles on them.

byron

if one bank is rich it’s probably an injector or two. usually i would swap the lefts and rights to see if it follows.. but also the fuel pressure regulator could be leaking through its vac line? its hard to make an engine run rich. show us your eehack log maybe we’ll spot something

Carb and Points!
    Thanks for the quick reply. My “guy” and I talked about this. Were I working on the car myself I’d certainly have tried swapping side for side. However since I’m paying him to do the work it’s more cost effective to just replace the injectors. The disadvantage is that if it works we won’t know which one or if all were faulty. He has rounded up new OEM injectors that he has either installed or will shortly. I’m going to stop by his shop later today and see how it’s going.

I’ve got four scans somewhere in this iPad but I’ll have to search them out. My memory stick got stuck in a box somewhere in the move and I haven’t found it yet.

I’ll post results later
    Thanks

Carb and Points!
    Thanks for the quick reply. My ďguyĒ and I talked about this. Were I working on the car myself Iíd certainly have tried swapping side for side. However since Iím paying him to do the work itís more cost effective to just replace the injectors. The disadvantage is that if it works we wonít know which one or if all were faulty. He has rounded up new OEM injectors that he has either installed or will shortly. Iím going to stop by his shop later today and see how itís going.

Iíve got four scans somewhere in this iPad but Iíll have to search them out. My memory stick got stuck in a box somewhere in the move and I havenít found it yet.

Iíll post results later
    Thanks

Carb and Points!
    New injectors responded the same. Or no change which ever way you look at it. The compression test looked very good. Three cyl are running max rich one is only very rich. No motor problems as far as pistons rods and crank.

The interesting thing is that the left bank was originally rich. New O2 and Cat and it switched to the right bank. New O2 and Cat there made no difference. Been that way ever since.

Iím simply lost in the daylight over this car and itís systems.