Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1995 K2500 454/4L80E Build

Electronic Ignition! Chutchcroft's Avatar

1995 K2500 454/4L80E Build

Hello All!

Building up a 1995 K2500 for pulling the boat to the lake and general romping around town.

Truck is Extended Cab, Long Bed, 8600GVW, 454/4L80E, 6" Lift, 35x12.5 Tires, 4:10 gearing w/locker in the rear.

Stock bottom end all new gaskets and seals, Melling HV Oil pump.

Comp Cam Kit K11-302-4

RPM Range: 1000-5200 Valve Lash: HYD FLAT TAPPET
    Valve Timing: .006 Duration: 260/268
    Lobe Separation: 112* Duration @ .050" Lift: 212/218
    Intake Centerline: 108* Valve Lift: .503/.503
    COMP 1.72 Roller Tip rockers / 3/8 hardened pushrods Lobe Lift: .296/.296

Edelbrock Performer TBI 60499 Heads 100cc Chamber, 290cc intake runner, 2.19/1.88 Valves

Edelbrock Performer RPM 7161 Intake Dual Plane square bore

SPR 54mm TBI, 91lb flow matched injectors, 18psi FPR Spring, Square bore adapter plate.

AC Delco EP381 in tank fuel pump 1996 Vortec style

Patriot long tube ceramic coated headers, 2.5" true dual exhaust, Flowmaster 40s, no cats.

Heated O2 Sensor

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

TBI CHIPs Burnt a chip I have ran for a while BUT I am now going to do this tune myself WITH YOUR HELP!

I have purchased:

APU1 AUTOPROM USB PACKAGE

G1 Adapter, ZIFF SOCKETS, HDR1 adapter

I plan to read the stock chip and my TBI Chip and see whats actually different ( just curious )

ECM is 16197427

MEMCAL is BMHM

I think the correct mask is $31

I have loaded the BIN, XDF, and ADX into Tuner PRO RT and I can data log.

I need to remove the EGR from the tune as my intake has no provision for EGR and they do not make a TBI intake for the 94-95 454.

I am going to need all the help and suggestions you can come up with.
    Last edited by Chutchcroft; 08-10-2019 at 02:18 AM.

Administrator
    Welcome to the forum! Seems like you've got a decent build which will require a good investment of time.

Reading and comparing the modified file and stock can be a good excercise but it can also lead you down the wrong path when you're learning.

The VE of your engine is substantially improved over stock which means all fuel tables based on calculated airflow will be incorrect. The volume of the intake is also greater which means the acceleration enrichment will need plenty of adjustment. It's common for a non-heated dual plane intake to experience fuel puddling and separation issues so you may find that tuning when the engine is cold or cool is more challenging than when warm. The 7427 can use an intake air temp sensor to make some adjustments but there's more involved than just wiring it in. Because you're using better heads with improved combustion chambers, and considering the improved airflow and the cam profile, you should prepart ot make many changes to the spark table as well.

Ultimately you've got your work cut out for you.

Cold startup and idle are likely to be the toughest to nail down. I often finalize them near the end. Getting the closed loop warm operation right ususally comes first because the VE and main spark tables really act as the foundation for the rest of the tune. I don't see a wide band O2 sensor in your list and if you don't own one, it will be incredibly helpful to get one before getting chest deep in tuning. You should also locate the VE tuning spreadsheet which will use Block Learn values obtained while driving to help suggest changes to the VE tables. It's a great time saver.

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Reading and comparing the modified file and stock can be a good excercise but it can also lead you down the wrong path when you're learning.
    This makes good sense. I will be starting with a clean read of the factory MEMCAL: BMHM. (really just curious if my 200$ for that chip did anything all this time)

It's common for a non-heated dual plane intake to experience fuel puddling and separation issues so you may find that tuning when the engine is cold or cool is more challenging than when warm.
    The heads and intake have exhaust crossovers. I have the option to block them to reduce charge temps or run them open to promote fuel delivery. Sounds like you are suggesting the latter. I would also like reliability and ease of tuning.

I don't see a wide band O2 sensor in your list and if you don't own one, it will be incredibly helpful to get one before getting chest deep in tuning. You should also locate the VE tuning spreadsheet which will use Block Learn values obtained while driving to help suggest changes to the VE tables. It's a great time saver
    I have got the spreadsheet and will research the 02 sensor. Is there a specific one or part number I am looking for?

Thanks for the valuable time and help!

-Hutch

Fuel Injected!
    In reference to the edelbrock 454 tbi intake, even though they say it won't fit 91-95 it fits just fine. There is a couple of assessory holes that are different but it works just fine. I have it on my 94 gen V and so far as I know 95 gen V is exactly the same. Thinking back maybe the egr is different. I don't use it so wasn't a problem.
    6395, BHDF, 7.4 BBC lightly modded now 6395 BMHM back to BHDF

Quote Originally Posted by myburb View Post
    In reference to the edelbrock 454 tbi intake, even though they say it won't fit 91-95 it fits just fine. There is a couple of assessory holes that are different but it works just fine. I have it on my 94 gen V and so far as I know 95 gen V is exactly the same. Thinking back maybe the egr is different. I don't use it so wasn't a problem.
    Pre 94 used a vacuum EGR. 94-95 is electronic with a different mounting profile. They possibly did make a 94-95 TBI intake, but don’t offer it anymore.

My heads are large oval and I would be doing a disservice by using peanut port intake manifold runners on them.

So off with the EGR!

-Hutch

Administrator
    The heads and intake have exhaust crossovers. I have the option to block them to reduce charge temps or run them open to promote fuel delivery. Sounds like you are suggesting the latter. I would also like reliability and ease of tuning.
    I think it would be beneficial to leave the crossover open or to restrict but not block flow through it.

Heads are back from the shop. New stainless valves, new locks and retainers, comp springs, 3 way valve job.

I also opted for the Flex-A-Lite 280 Monster fan.

Spent a day or so getting wiring for that all tied in to the AUX Fan circuit for A/C activation as well as a manual override and thermostat control.

I will begin assembly today and hopefully get most of it done by this weekend.

I was able to pull the stock BIN from the factory MEMCAL and also the “TBICHIP” bin file.

The VE tables are totally different and I will begin with the factory table and data log and adjust using BLM.

I got the EGR turned off per some guidance I found on this site. Still looking for the right way to shut down the CCP as I have removed and vented the tank externally. Also wondering if I need to turn off the CAT Overheat as they are long gone.

Any advice for my baseline adjustments to fire her off?

Quote Originally Posted by Chutchcroft View Post
    TBI CHIPs Burnt a chip I have ran for a while BUT I am now going to do this tune myself WITH YOUR HELP!
    I plan to read the stock chip and my TBI Chip and see whats actually different ( just curious )
    It'll be good for a laugh.
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

Fuel Injected!
    I almost went with the flex-a-lite fans, but the cost was just too high for me. I bought a brand new set of Spectra fans for an 05 silverado from rockauto for $142 + shipping and picked up a front harness out of an 05 at the junk yard for $35 to get the fan plugs, wire, and seperate relay/fuse panel(and then some). I would strongly recommend ditching that cs130d alternator and getting a cs144. That cs130d can only put out about 30-35 amps at idle on a GOOD day which will leave you short with your 28 amps to the fan and another 15-20 to run the truck. A cs144 can push 80-90 at idle and is much better suited for constant loads.
    Last edited by THEFERMANATOR; 08-23-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    1995 GMC K2500 SUBURBAN 2001 LB7 DURAMAX/ALLISON swap, mostly stock, tuned by me with EFILive

1999 Tahoe 2 door 2X4, 5.7l with 0411 swap, and marine intake

Well things took a turn for the worse.

Turns out my COMP Flat Tappet cam is wiped out. Also, the COMP crank timing gear was cracked and missing a tooth.

Sooo... I pulled the engine, re-ringed, new bearings (Cam, Mains, and Rods), Lunati Hydraulic Roller, Cloyes Double roller chain with Torrington and roller cam button, Harland Sharp rockers, Magnum Pushrods, Seals, Gaskets..

Had a CS144 built up to 200 amps. Thanks for the tip.

3B16C90C-8790-4FD8-A07A-756E53A278D2.jpg

E6517CDE-934F-423E-852F-2BDDFEE3BFDC.jpg

64460526-E283-464D-B669-8460DA353207.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chutchcroft; 09-04-2019 at 12:50 AM.

The 454x4 Lives!

Finally got the engine put in. I took my time and got the break-in done yesterday. No leaks!

Its time for all the help you can give me. I am attaching my Stock Bin and Modified Bin as well as the XDF and ADX files I am using.

I have built a Base VE and Spark Map that will run the truck. I need help to clean up the tune and I am not sure where to start.

I wanted to change the Injector Offset vs Battery Voltage since I have upgraded from 67.9LB flow to 96LB but that information for the 80lb injectors is not available.

PLEASE HELP!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Chutchcroft; 09-11-2019 at 03:24 PM.

454X4 BUILD SHEET

Bottom end all new gaskets and seals, bearings, rings, Melling HV Oil pump.

Cloyes Billet Double Roller Chain.

Harland Sharp 1.7 Rockers

Lunati Voodoo Roller Cam

RPM Range: 1400 to 5400
    Intake Valve Lift:.550"
    Exhaust Valve Lift:.550"
    Advertised Intake Duration:262°
    Advertised Exhaust Duration:270°
    Intake Duration @ .050":211°
    Exhaust Duration @ .050":219°
    Lobe Separation:112°

Edelbrock Performer TBI 60499 Heads 9:1CR, 97CC Chamber, 290cc intake runner, 2.19/1.88 Valves

Edelbrock Performer RPM 7161 Intake Dual Plane square bore

SPR 54mm TBI, 80LB flow matched injectors, 18psi FPR Spring, Square bore adapter plate.

AC Delco EP381 in tank fuel pump 1996 Vortec style

Patriot long tube ceramic coated headers, 2.5" true dual exhaust, Flowmaster 40s, no cats.

Heated O2 Sensor

Electronic Ignition!
    Have you made any progress?

Electronic Ignition!
    Hello i am New here and this is closest place i see to ask this, if i am wrong please let me know . I have a friend that has a 2000 k3500 7.4l fuel injected auto. Can this be tuned. I did put a new (used) knock module in it (Knock Codes). It did help some but motor is fresh with new heads and this thing is a dog he had a programmer on it but cant remember what it was and he sold it awhile back. Is this a em3494u pcm pcm # is 16208991, and what is needed if anything to flash back to stock or tune it please. Cant seem to find any info via google search. How can i read pcm like in ls droid or other free stuff i dont have HPTuners yet.