Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
When you mentioned that the 02s were down the pipe, I checked the bin settings for your calibration and it is seems like it is preset for some headers already.
Am I correct to interpret that to mean the O2s are in the manifolds on other LT1s? That would explain a lot of the difficulties f-body guys have with headers.

per wikipedia.
Too much heat in exchange for really lean mixture to utilize the extra spark advance. Maybe that`s why you are getting that unburned fuel smell. The afr is too fat for the advance and the fuel can`t burn and it is dumped in the exhaust.
I would suggest you search "spark hook test". Maximum Brake Torque is the spark advance where, with all other variables removed (speed and AFR) the most torque is generated, and consequently the lowest resultant manifold pressure. Adding more spark advance beyond MBT for a given mixture yields no additional torque. This is why you want spark at MBT everywhere except at idle, because the underspeed adder can't increase engine speed if you're already at MBT.

The only reason I see for idle rpm increase is if the engine stalls at take off or it gets unstable at near idle conditions and is trying to die.
I've never attempted to get it to idle below 875. The cam lope shakes the entire car and I'm not a fan of it. If I can find any improvements with cylinder balance I may attempt to work on lowering idle speed and spark.

Also the lower map readings you get are because the higher rpms. I am sure that the map will jump around 45-50kp area if you lower the rpms by 100.
I was under the impression lower map at idle was the goal, not higher. ???

It takes alot of tuning to get it right with no surging but the results is clean and efficient combustion.
When you write a book I'll be the first in line to purchase it.