Thread: My 454 TBI whistles...

Fuel Injected!

My 454 TBI whistles...

The 454 TBI that sits on my AMC 401 whistles when the air filter is open. It's pretty obnoxious. Is that normal?

Fuel Injected!
    Nope. Less air passing through iac and more through throttle blades should quiet it down. Also make sure your adapter for the 454 tbi has big enough footprint to cover passages at base of the otherwise you'll get a vacuum leak that may sound like a whistle.

Fuel Injected!
    That makes sense. I'll take a look at my IAC motor counts when at idle and see if I can adjust the throttle screw a tiny bit and what difference that makes.

Yep, my adapter was verified when I installed it.

Thanks!

Administrator
    The 454 TBI that sits on my AMC 401 whistles when the air filter is open.
    I'm not really clear about what this means but if it's happening while driving you could try adjusting the throttle follower and if it happens at idle you may find decreasing spark advance one or two degrees is enough to help.

Fuel Injected!
    my BB tbi did the same thing. i had to bring IAC counts up in the 25 to 35 range, instead of the ideal 5-15 range.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    I'm not really clear about what this means...
    HAHA! I make it sound like a I am driving around without an air filter.

What I mean is, when I am idling my TB whistles. If I open the air filter lid, it is pretty loud. If I put the lid back on, it's only noticeable.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rang-a-stang View Post
    HAHA! I make it sound like a I am driving around without an air filter.

What I mean is, when I am idling my TB whistles. If I open the air filter lid, it is pretty loud. If I put the lid back on, it's only noticeable.
    Yes. It did look like you were pulling the air filter for that "big engine" sound. Some good tips have been offered. Check base throttle angle, check idle speed and adjust slightly if necessary, check and retard ignition timing slightly. You should be able to take care of this fairly quickly.

Fuel Injected!
    Finally have my truck running again after some other drama.

When I tune my IAC, what should I be looking for? When I am idling, IAC counts are typically between 8 and 16 with most of the idle time set at 12. Is that normal? It idles very well and I don't want to mess that up just because it is annoying when I open my air filter...