Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swapping in a 95 TBI 454, adios 91 TBI 350

Electronic Ignition!

Swapping in a 95 TBI 454, adios 91 TBI 350

Hello everyone,

New to site, new post, hoping for some help.

I been beating up the google search bar and kept liking what I have found on this site. You guys have lots of good info. I believe I have all aspects of my swap figured out other then the best route for my computer. I'm swapping out my worn and high mileage 91 TBI 350/4l80e for a 95 TBI 454/4l80e. The engine comes complete top to bottom minus the wiring harness and the computer due to the fact the truck had a cab fire and those items where trash. I hope to use my factory harness and....

Is my best option to have a chip made/burned and put it into my computer? (Is that a dumb question?) or should I look for a 454/4l80e factory computer and just run that as is? or get the right computer and still have a PROM burned? Is there a computer code I can use in reference when looking for the correct computer?

These might be very simple things that I can still search and find but I've been sifting through so much I need a break. I know some of you know this info like the back of you hand. Thanks for any help given.

Fuel Injected!
    My opinion would be to switch to computer that came with that setup. Would probably have been 7427 running $OE or $31. If you can't find a harness you could probably modify your original. I think on the net there is articles on repinning.
    6395, BHDF, 7.4 BBC lightly modded now 6395 BMHM back to BHDF

I like the option of re-pinning the 91 TBI computer connectors so you can use a 95 454 computer. Here is a link to how I did the conversion: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...out-Directions!

Basically re-pinning allow you to use the 95 454 computer with the 91 harness. A few from the original 91 harness might need to be lengthen?

The 95 454 throttle body might need a 700R4 TV cable bracket modification?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Repining to the later pcm is probably your best option using a 16197427 or 16196395. If you're going to use the transmission from the donor, you may have to change the connector for the transmission as well. I'm not an expert on the subject, but there were changes to the 4l80e over the years. The PCM doesn't need to be specific to a 454, but the memcal does. The memcal contains the code to run the engine and transmission as well as the knock filter circuitry and limp home mode circuitry. A new chip can be burned to replace the one on the memcal to change the calibration, but it must be a v8 memcal, and I'm not sure if the 454 used the same knock circuit, so it would be best to start with a memcal that matches your setup.

Info about transmission differences: https://youtu.be/Bjap2Th8tIE

Info on $0E: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-OE

I watched the transmission video posted above. Awesome information on the mechanical differences of the 4L80E.

I'm wondering what internal electrical / electronic differences there might from the early 4L80E 1991 - 92 vs. the 1993 - 95 ($OE & $31) electrical / electronics.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    A transmission guy would know better than me, but it is likely to be electrically the same internally. They probably had issues with the old style connectors leaking or breaking and redesigned it. Don't take my word for it, though. Do your own research. Maybe call Baumann Electronic Controls. They sell aftermarket transmission controllers for these transmissions and others. They would know if there's any differences in the electronics or control strategy.

Fuel Injected!
    Did these 454's run knock sensors? If not- why not?

Quote Originally Posted by dfarr67 View Post
    Did these 454's run knock sensors? If not- why not?
    Some early TBI 454, mostly 1987, did not use Knock Sensors.

The wiring schematics for the 1993 - 95 454 / 4l80E show Knock Sensor wiring. Note: 1993 - 95 TBI 454's have the Knock Sensor module inside the computer memcal, not mounted on the engine.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I'm not sure. GM may have decided to just run a very conservative timing map and not use knock. On small blocks with knock sensor, I believe the PCM will advance the timing at WOT and listen for knock as a way to self test the knock sensor and related circuitry. Perhaps GM didn't want to run the self test routine on an engine in a heavy vehicle, in a high load application. Does your donor not have a knock sensor? On the small blocks they were on the right side of the block down low where the coolant drain would be. I don't know about the big blocks.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Note: 1993 - 95 TBI 454's have the Knock Sensor module inside the computer memcal, not mounted on the engine.
    In case you didn't know, Dave is referring to the knock filter/sensing circuitry being on the memcal as opposed to using an ESC module mounted to the engine, as used in earlier trucks (or near the ECM in earlier vans). The knock sensor itself would still be mounted to the engine.

Fuel Injected!
    Mine has an upgraded ESC module (carb application) now mounted on on the firewall due to TPI but have head about 454 applications that did not. Seems strange that a HD application doesn't have the protection afforded to other models. Davew, any updates on your LS conversion thread?

Fuel Injected!
    For the trans, it goes 91-93, then 94+ as far as controls go. Yes the harness changed mid year 93, but the pcs and valve body did not change until 94. So use the correct programming for your trans as 91-93 requires a "cleaning cycle" every 10 seconds to keep the pcs clean and functioning. Every 10 seconds it goes max line pressure to stroke the pcs to clean it. There is an accumulator/buffer circuit built into 91-93 valve bodies to slow line pressure response so the cleaning cycle doesn't damage anything.

Also of note, all v-6's, small block's, and big block's to 93 ran low pressure injection(8-13 psi), but 94/95 454's ran high pressure tbi(32-38 psi) injection, and the stock injectors in a 95 are actually some of the smallest used, but compensated with higher fuel pressure. So make sure which injectors you're using and use the correct fuel pump capable of supplying the needed pressure(most run the 96/97 vortec pump for overkill, or a tpi pump). Tbi pumps are lucky to hold 13 psi from my experience, 94/95 454's had a different pump(40 psi), tpi's another(50 psi), and 96/97 vortec's used the highest pressure pump(65 psi). Running the wrong combo can lead to some NASTY hiccup's and extreme lean out.
    1995 GMC K2500 SUBURBAN 2001 LB7 DURAMAX/ALLISON swap, mostly stock, tuned by me with EFILive

1999 Tahoe 2 door 2X4, 5.7l with 0411 swap, and marine intake

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    For the trans, it goes 91-93, then 94+ as far as controls go. Yes the harness changed mid year 93, but the pcs and valve body did not change until 94. So use the correct programming for your trans as 91-93 requires a "cleaning cycle" every 10 seconds to keep the pcs clean and functioning. Every 10 seconds it goes max line pressure to stroke the pcs to clean it. There is an accumulator/buffer circuit built into 91-93 valve bodies to slow line pressure response so the cleaning cycle doesn't damage anything.

Also of note, all v-6's, small block's, and big block's to 93 ran low pressure injection(8-13 psi), but 94/95 454's ran high pressure tbi(32-38 psi) injection, and the stock injectors in a 95 are actually some of the smallest used, but compensated with higher fuel pressure. So make sure which injectors you're using and use the correct fuel pump capable of supplying the needed pressure(most run the 96/97 vortec pump for overkill, or a tpi pump). Tbi pumps are lucky to hold 13 psi from my experience, 94/95 454's had a different pump(40 psi), tpi's another(50 psi), and 96/97 vortec's used the highest pressure pump(65 psi). Running the wrong combo can lead to some NASTY hiccup's and extreme lean out.
    Not all V6s or small block V8s used the low pressure system. The later model vans and some trucks with the speed governed TBI units built like the 2 ton truck 366/427 TBI units also had high pressure fuel systems.

Electronic Ignition!
    So locally at a salvage yard, I have found a 94 2wd 454 4l80 in their inventory that got dropped yesterday. I'm going to run and try to salvage the computer and harness before it get pillaged. The concept is this should do everything I need as they should be almost identical. The only difference is I am 4wd. The transfer case holds the speed sensor and the 4wd indicator light for the harness. As long as I extend the speed sensor wiring, all working functions should be normal. Am I missing anything? Does the 4wd indicator run through the ecu?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
    So locally at a salvage yard, I have found a 94 2wd 454 4l80 in their inventory that got dropped yesterday. I'm going to run and try to salvage the computer and harness before it get pillaged. The concept is this should do everything I need as they should be almost identical. The only difference is I am 4wd. The transfer case holds the speed sensor and the 4wd indicator light for the harness. As long as I extend the speed sensor wiring, all working functions should be normal. Am I missing anything? Does the 4wd indicator run through the ecu?
    On 94+ the 4 low input is connected to the ECM so it knows when it is in 4 low to modify the speed sensor reading by the low range ratio. Not sure if the 2x4 BIN file will have the 4 low tables in it or not, so you may have to find a 4x4 BIN file to use. You will have to modify your trans some to work with a 94/95 control system as there is no way to add in the cleaning cycle for the PCS into the 94/95 code that I've ever heard of. But it's not hard to change the force motor and internal harness to make it work.
    1995 GMC K2500 SUBURBAN 2001 LB7 DURAMAX/ALLISON swap, mostly stock, tuned by me with EFILive

1999 Tahoe 2 door 2X4, 5.7l with 0411 swap, and marine intake