Thread: 302 Ford TBI swap with C4 trans and 16197427

Fuel Injected!

302 Ford TBI swap with C4 trans and 16197427

I am getting ready to swap in a 16197427 PCM and throttle body from a 305 van. This is going into a 63 comet with a 302 and a C4 transmission. I've mounted a reflective optical sensor to the speedometer that should work to provide a 2k PPM VSS signal to the PCM. I have most of the parts and will start the conversion soon. I have a dataloging cable and a GQ-4X4 programmer and Tuner Pro RT. I just swapped a 7427 into my 90 G20 and have been making adjustments to it, so I have basic familiarity with tuner pro and the 7427.

Is there a preferred 305 bin to start with? The PCM and MEMCAL that I have were from a 350 BJYL that I bought off of ebay. I was originally going to install a 7747, but after more research, the 7427 seems to be the best way to go.

What settings should be changed for the non electronic transmission? I've seen recommendations to configure it as a manual transmission, but I suspect that if I did, the PRNDL inputs would be ignored and iac/idle learning would be affected by the load from the transmission in gear. Should I configure it like I did for my van with a 700r4 using the torque converter clutch only flag? Would that cause any problems for the computer or any drivability problems?

Thanks in advance

This gearhead-efi link: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-0D has only one 5.0 liter $OD .bin file BHMD.

This gearhead-efi link: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-E6 has only one 5.0 liter $E6 .bin file AZPH. The AZPH .bin file looks promising, because the description shows 3 speed automatic (likely TH 400).

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks Dave. I will look into that.

Fuel Injected!
    The BCC lookup spreadsheet shows AZPH as being for an L03 engine with M30 (4L60e) transmission and the bin seems to be set up for a 4L60e. It looks like I'll have to run a few experiments. I'll use my van with a 700r4 as a test platform and see what settings work in $0D with the TCC disconnected. I'll report back with my findings.

Fuel Injected!
    I depinned the tcc clutch wire from the pcm and went for a test run and I didn't have any problems and no new transmission new transmission codes were set. I then set the manual transmission flag and verified that the park/neutral circuit is still affecting the idle controls. I reconnected the tcc wire and went for a test drive and found that the pcm still controls the tcc even with manual transmission flag set, so I'm wondering what the manual transmission flag actually does. I'm wondering if it disables error checks. More experimentation is necessary...

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neukam View Post
    I depinned the tcc clutch wire from the pcm and went for a test run and I didn't have any problems and no new transmission new transmission codes were set. I then set the manual transmission flag and verified that the park/neutral circuit is still affecting the idle controls. I reconnected the tcc wire and went for a test drive and found that the pcm still controls the tcc even with manual transmission flag set, so I'm wondering what the manual transmission flag actually does. I'm wondering if it disables error checks. More experimentation is necessary...
    TCC is the shift light pin on aa manual. You would use the non computerized automatic option rather than manual.

Fuel Injected!
    I read on the 7427 swap post that the shift light is on E2 and TCC is on E11, which is where I have mine hooked up.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...out-Directions

I only set the manual transmission option as an experiment to test whether the PRNDL switch still affected the idle and it did. I just thought it was interesting that the TCC operation seemed to be unaffected when I drove it. I did not see an option specifically for non computerized automatic, only an option for manual transmission and an option for torque converter clutch only. I'm using Advanced $0D TP5 v251.xdf in TunerPro RT v5. I see now that the "Tips" when I hover over a flag in TunerPro suggest that I should be setting both of those flags for a non computer controlled transmission. I just wanted to be sure that I am doing things the correct way and not creating any weird issues that will have to chase down later. I have enough problems to work through with the changes that I'm making to the car.