Thread: have question on Edelbrock chip and mpfi kit off a 454ss truck

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!

Red face have question on Edelbrock chip and mpfi kit off a 454ss truck

hey guys,
    I've searched and read for a few days on and off and really cant find an answer to my dilemma.....I usually can read and figure it out, but im struggling here :-)
    I have a 1991 chevy truck that has all the running gears from a 93 454ss truck in it..
    previous owner had put the Edelbrock mpfi kit on it with the Edelbrock aluminum heads and roller cam,prob 10 years ago.
    and looks like a new set of headers recently.
    it had an msd on it, but I took it off and put it back to the oe ignition system, and it runs decent, but now I want to try to tune it.....it has the 454ss 4.10 14bolt rearend in its it should run ok with those heads I would think

I know its prob not a very good tune coming from a kit thats supposed to work on all tbi 7.4's.
    universal is usually not good.

I bought the apu1 and used it successfully on another 454 truck I had, so im a little familiar with the process.

My questions are : can I read the Edelbrock chip that's in it, with what looks to be their G2 adapter, then write that .bin to a 27sf512,which I have, as a starting place? I read the chip thats in it, its a amd chip AM27C256-155dc with a UV window in it? am I thinking right to just keep that chip and use my 27fs512.

Or can I use tuner pro and my apu1 to drive it in emulation mode and modify it like that? wasn't sure I could write to this chip....did'nt want to mess it up till I had a copy(backup) to go back to, if I screwed up something.

or should I just load a good stock 454ss .bin,or marks $85 for those 7060 trucks, and then make the modifications to make the Edelbrock mpfi work, then tune from here?

I can read and datalog while driving and its definitely lean it seems, but when I read the Edelbrock chip and tried to compare the tables, spark and fuel, the Edelbrock chip read was all zeros......

so thats what made me think maybe they made it to where nobody could read it.
    Last edited by mike454; 06-19-2019 at 08:35 PM.