Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: my 454 swap

Quote Originally Posted by black dawg View Post
    well I have been running it at 23psi and it works pretty good, not perfect but ok. BLM is in the 120-140 range and seems to be inconsistent with with load or rpm.
    Yes it will be inconsistent because you raised pressure and did not calculate BPW. It is doing exactly as I have tested, gone rich at idle and low RPM/Load and lean at high RPM/Load.

Do you think it could need that much fuel pressure because of the engine mods and a stock prom? I am not finding anything wrong.
    23 PSI on those 76 PPH injectors will support about 364 HP. I doubt very much a stock 454 engine with a stock vortec cam would be close to that?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    What I meant was, this thing will hardly run because it is soo lean with fuel pressure under 20psi. Is this because of the cam.
    Oh and feels under 300hp to me.

Without my hands on it I'm not sure? Or at least a data log...

Usually bigger cams want less fuel at idle and more high RPM/Load. At your elevation... I loose track of everyone... you were at 3500 feet right? That would also be less fuel at idle, but I don't know why a stock vortec cam would effect idle like this?

If it's running and driving good then use it. You've really done all you can to make it work without data logging and tuning a new chip.

-= =-

Not for nothing, but, you may want to check your injectors, some of the 454's used 40pph injectors, along with a higher pressure TPI pump...just throwing ideas.

Fuel Injected!
    Well I am getting closer on this thing, had some crappy fuel pressure gauges throwing me off. First two gauges read 22 and 23 psi, and third reads 15psi. anybody have a favorite gauge to reccomend?

I have noticed that the blm number at idle varies instead of just showing 128. Does this mean it learns an idle blm even though it is an open loop idle bin? Drove this thing on the highway tonight for about 30 miles, and when I came to a stop, it stayed closed loop for about 2 min. Was it supposed to do that?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Also ANTY has been superceeded twice, once to ATPX, then to final version of AZFT. I don't know why it was updated by GM but it may have issues, twice!
    I have gotten this thing mostly sorted, (no tuning yet) but I am curious if the issues I am having is because of this prom. The prom I have is anty, and has been modified by hypertec before I bought it used.

What would it cost me to get somebody to burn me an updated or better stock prom for this thing. I have decided that I wont be happy with this thing without some tuning being done, but hate to start with this prom if it is a pos.

would it be better to tune on the 454 chip? can it be made closed loop idle? Or would it be easier to just make the 350 chip match the 454 engine.
    You can, I use ASDU and make it a 7.4L

What is the other smaller removable chip in the 7747 for?
    Netres, is it correct for your 7.4L?

Do you think it could need that much fuel pressure because of the engine mods and a stock prom? I am not finding anything wrong.
    No something is wrong.

I have gotten this thing mostly sorted, (no tuning yet) but I am curious if the issues I am having is because of this prom. The prom I have is anty, and has been modified by hypertec before I bought it used.

What would it cost me to get somebody to burn me an updated or better stock prom for this thing. I have decided that I wont be happy with this thing without some tuning being done, but hate to start with this prom if it is a pos.
    Post a data log so I can see what it is doing?

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    On the netres chip, how do I tell? Does it matter?

On the fuel pressure, I dont believe my gauge, but adjusted fuel pressure to where blm is reasonable. gauge shows 22psi and wont hardly run below about 17 psi.

Not set up to data log at this point.

What I would like to do is get a better prom, and then if it still isnt satisfactory, I am hoping the better prom is is closer/easier to tune for somebody.

Is the netres chip the one that came in ECM with the truck?

I can tune whatever is needed and start with a better PROM, but without data logs it's just an educated guess, not a tune!

You really need to figure out what the fuel pressure is. If the motor is stock and the injectors are correct BB then 13-14 psi is GOOOD! 12 is OK...

How far in Montana are you from Coeur d'Alene Idaho?

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I am in Missoula.

I have been working out things that needed straightened out, next is fuel pressure.

What I would really like to do, after I have everything the way I want it is, to leave the thing with you for a week or two.
    Is that possible?

I am avoiding getting into tuning myself, because I am very picky, (when I know that I could make something better) and learning tuning to the level that I would feel satisfied with myself would take more spare time than I have.
    I would much rather have someone that knows what they are doing just make the thing work right.
    Last edited by black dawg; 02-06-2013 at 01:02 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    on the netres chip, the 454 prom came with one, but I dont remember if I used it or left the original in the 350 ecm (that I am using).

I am in Missoula.

I have been working out things that needed straightened out, next is fuel pressure.

What I would really like to do, after I have everything the way I want it is, to leave the thing with you for a week or two.
    Is that possible?

I am avoiding getting into tuning myself, because I am very picky, (when I know that I could make something better) and learning tuning to the level that I would feel satisfied with myself would take more spare time than I have.
    I would much rather have someone that knows what they are doing just make the thing work right.
    Sure it's possible!

Tuning can become an obsession, it never ends, you learn more and tweak more... in my spare time I spend every minute tweaking my own rig... learning new rigs... etc...

I'm not really sure how to check the netres, I'm very careful to use correct ECM with netres. It's really only cruicail for catstophic failure and has limp home stuff on it.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I will let you know when I am getting closer on this thing, I am considering some engine mods and a 4l80, so I dont want to spend too much time and money on tuning it the way it is.

WIthout mechanical issues it can be tuned in a day for $150.

4l80E requires a PCM swap along with some wiring. Engine mods, PCM can get to $10k easy...

-= =-