Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7427 upgrade tuning help understanding

Fuel Injected!
    r42lts plugs in and new knock sensor they say tq is 14 so I did just under that so it is not too sensitive from what I was reading. Took it for a drive and still getting alot of these knock counts but no timing taken out. This computer/knock sensor is very sensitive it seems. Something else weather I start tunerpro before I start the truck or after I start it, I always have anywhere from 300-1000 knock to start with. is anyone else having this happen to them or how to stop it.

On my test drive I had 2 places where it actually removed timing so I know I have to lower that area but what do I do for the knocks that do not remove timing. Would energy suspension motor and trans mounts cause this?

if anyone could take a look at my configs and see if they see anything I have set wrong or pointers, that would be great.
    One thing I have 6 degrees of timing in the distributor and set in the chip so in the log it shows -6 of actual.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by typhoonss92; 06-13-2019 at 05:03 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Seem to recall one of the master tuners here saying knock will manifest itself on the datalog due to something that's happening before it gets reported so with that said, before you pull timing out just before you get the reported knock I see some 15:1 AFRs on the wideband just before the knock occurs. Your temps seem to take a long time to get to operating temp. I'm not by any means an expert at this stuff but do see you forcing open loop which makes blm/int locked to 128.

Fuel Injected!
    I have electric fans which are on all the time so yes it does take a little bit to warm up, once I get the tune situated I plan on hooking the fans to the computer. I am forcing open look to get this tuned in. I definatly see more power in Open loop.

I tried using my WBO2 spreadsheet for the newplugs-run.xdl file posted above.

Most of the data was open loop, so the spreadsheet was not helpful.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Dave a few questions about the wbo2 spreadsheet. I changed all the openloop to closed and then configured from there, am I incorrect in doing that, I read in a post about the sheet to do this. Second question is the injector duty cycle vs map vs rpm in the spreadsheet. on the right you have IDC below and above 80 and 90 but all the cells are showing between 0.7 low map and 32.5 high rpm high map. Is this correct? maybe I am not pushing the potential of the injectors?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by typhoonss92 View Post
    I am running since I put in my msd 6AL a acdelco 41-993(19256067) iridium plug. I had acdelco rapidfires before that #14's. I had no knock issue when I was running the 7747 computer with these plugs. When I swapped to these the motor ran smoother. I know to stay with acdelco or ngk since they make the acdelco plugs. I would not be opposed to trying these just need to get to the parts store and get them.

I will have the new knock sensor (ks6 standard) tomorrow so hopefully get it installed tomorrow night.

I tried a starter timing table that Fast355 posted on TGO for vortecs, he said that he uses it as his starting point for stock to mild cam motors. I tried it and seemed to work well except high rpm high map, upped the timing there and just from one adj seems to run pretty good, still needs refined. Here is what fast355 posted and I modified it for my spark table. maybe this will help others as it was pretty good for the first drive. Attachment 14290

Fast355 if you are around maybe you can chime in on this and if you have made any changes over the years on this for your starting point for the vortec heads. I would think 30* is high at idle but I did not get knock.
    I use the PE adder to add 4-6° up top. Actually starts adding 1-2° as low as 2,600 when its in PE. I have found situations where you will be at high Kpa for a while and not need the fuel enrichment. If you run full timing without the PE adder after a period of time the engine running at stoich will build some heat and start knockinh.
    Last edited by Fast355; 06-13-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    At startup I get around at 600-800 knock counts cold and warmed up 250-350, I think Fast355 once mentioned this was because the knock sensor was picking up the noise from starter motor during cranking.

Dave a few questions about the wbo2 spreadsheet. I changed all the openloop to closed and then configured from there, am I incorrect in doing that, I read in a post about the sheet to do this. Second question is the injector duty cycle vs map vs rpm in the spreadsheet. on the right you have IDC below and above 80 and 90 but all the cells are showing between 0.7 low map and 32.5 high rpm high map. Is this correct? maybe I am not pushing the potential of the injectors?
    I tune with closed loop for 16197427 daily drivers. The attached screen shots show closed loop WBO2 tuning data that has multiple data logs combined, using the same .bin file. The combined total of data points EXCEEDS 100,000 counts of samples!

Using Open Loop only data with a daily driver 16197427 might provide anomalous and misleading conclusions; (data that might have a similar appearance to watching a puppy dog circling around and around chasing its tail).

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave w; 06-14-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Another thing I noticed, how did you arrive at a 98#/hr injector. In my tunes, I've been trying to match the injector size to as close to what is actually installed w Dave W saying you can err a few up/down to rough in blms but to be honest I've set it and forget it.

https://witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php

Fuel Injected!
    copcar injectors are 83lb @ 15psi. I have mine set at 22 when it is cooler our and goes down to almost 20 when hot, I live in Fl.
    So with all the different places/excel sheets to calculate I should be 96-100lb per injector. I think I need to go a touch higher because I am maxing out the VE table in a few places but the problem for me is the red spring I have for the fpr maxes out at 22 and I would like to be able to got to 23 or 24 but can't find a spring, may just go external fpr unless anyone knows where to get a spring that has a range of lets say 20-26ish psi.

Fuel Injected!
    Didn't know those existed. Got a part number for those and perhaps a link to where I might be able to acquire some. thanx!

Fuel Injected!
    ebay search "tbi cop car injector". 17084327 - Yellow / Brown - 5.7L / 350 Police Package 76 Lbs/ Hr @ 12.5 PSI, 83 Lbs/Hr @ 15 PSI

ebay search "tbi cop car injector". 17084327 - Yellow / Brown - 5.7L / 350 Police Package 76 Lbs/ Hr @ 12.5 PSI, 83 Lbs/Hr @ 15 PSI
    Based on the information in this link: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...d-part-numbers ... the 17084327 injector has a factory rated flow of 65 PPH

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-of-TWO-...UAAOSw8A1ajG~e
    not sure how true their test is but here is what I got about 2 years ago. What is the psi for 65# from GM. this may be where my calculations are off for fuel and why I may still need a few more psi.

Dave I know you played with springs for the fpr years ago, do you know of one that will work to get me around 22-25psi, the red one they sell only gets me to 22 and I consistently keep maxing out my VE table up high map.

I also set the closed loop as you said and had 2 datalogs today one to the parts store with a little getting on it and the second cruise and highway. I have a little up and down rpm in park with the a/c off with in on don't get it. I think it started when I used the simulated nbo2 from the wbo2 and I am going to swap it back to the 3 wire I originally had setup to see if that makes a difference. Also the blm is no where near the wbo2 readings it is always rich. With the wbo2 being 28in down stream I would need to make changes to the o2 settings but not sure which ones or what to possibly change them to. If you have time any thoughts
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Didn't peak at this ^^^bin but the previous one target AFR was set at 14.1:1, would that be cause for lower than 128 BLMs??? Sorta read that's something you would do for E10 tuning.

Yeah...I chased my tail on a tune that Holley told me the size of the injectors but kept seeing injectors going static. Decided to run factory known sized injectors and the tune is way better. Think attributed to Holley rating their stuff at 28 psi while AFPR was set for factory 12.5 psi. Idk what to believe, I'd like to concoct a flow bench and test these Holley ones.
    Last edited by stew86MCSS396; 06-15-2019 at 09:35 PM.