Thread: Tunercat Tune Review?

Electronic Ignition!

Tunercat Tune Review?

Hi, I figured out my problem with my 0411 PCM swap and i am now required to pump the throttle during start up in order to get it to fire and have to feather the throttle for a few seconds in order for the idle speed to stabilize. It is also pulling ~12% fuel, but i imagine thats not a huge issue due to the adaptive learning. I know its a tuning issue because on the black box the engine would operate perfectly. Engine was fully rebuilt by me and has the following:
    gen vi 454 bored .030"
    heads milled .010"
    Intake valves back cut
    Comp cam: .510 lift, 212/218 duration @ .050, 113 LSA
    fuel injectors are 0280155715 EV6 rated at 24lbs at 3 bar (my system is running 4 bar)
    EGR removed

Would someone be willing to look at the tune file for me and see what they see? Maybe make recommendations on what to adjust? Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Aznpersuasion89 View Post
    Hi, I figured out my problem with my 0411 PCM swap and i am now required to pump the throttle during start up in order to get it to fire and have to feather the throttle for a few seconds in order for the idle speed to stabilize. It is also pulling ~12% fuel, but i imagine thats not a huge issue due to the adaptive learning. I know its a tuning issue because on the black box the engine would operate perfectly. Engine was fully rebuilt by me and has the following:
    gen vi 454 bored .030"
    heads milled .010"
    Intake valves back cut
    Comp cam: .510 lift, 212/218 duration @ .050, 113 LSA
    fuel injectors are 0280155715 EV6 rated at 24lbs at 3 bar (my system is running 4 bar)
    EGR removed

Would someone be willing to look at the tune file for me and see what they see? Maybe make recommendations on what to adjust? Thanks.
    Attached is a Stock 2002 Express Van 5.7 liter with 4L80E .cal file.
    Also attached is the "Compare" summary .txt file.

The Express Van will have a different gear ratio and tire size, so the transmission shift parameters will be very different.

I wonder if the attached 5.7 flash, which has VATS Disabled, is worth trying? Sometimes, tuning requires starting from a different baseline flash. I've sometimes had to start all over, with a different flash and make "baby steps" to get a good tune. I often make only one change at a time, to verify if the "one" change is good or not.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Attached is a Stock 2002 Express Van 5.7 liter with 4L80E .cal file.
    Also attached is the "Compare" summary .txt file.

The Express Van will have a different gear ratio and tire size, so the transmission shift parameters will be very different.

I wonder if the attached 5.7 flash, which has VATS Disabled, is worth trying? Sometimes, tuning requires starting from a different baseline flash. I've sometimes had to start all over, with a different flash and make "baby steps" to get a good tune. I often make only one change at a time, to verify if the "one" change is good or not.

dave w
    I admittedly have no idea what im looking at when it comes to tuning. Jeff created this for me (and has been very helpful in trying to resolve this) and im just trying to get input on how a base tune should get built using EFIlive or HPtuners since tunercat doesnt exist around me.

The attached .ctz file was downloaded from the EFI Live Tune Depot website several years ago, which has a disappeared from the Internet or is no longer supported by EFI Live. I've used Tune Depot files without any issues or problems, except the VIN numbers are not complete.

The attached .bin file should work with either HP Tuners or EFI Live. The attached .bin file was a file I found in my "Unknown" file folder. Typically "Unknown" are files someone shared with me or I downloaded from the Internet that are not verified as stock.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks! I'll see if my hptuner friend can see it

Electronic Ignition!
    I'm getting the error message "http response failure" when trying to connect to the pcm to edit parameters, however we can read all the sensors in real time. Since the pcm is tuned with tunercat and we were trying to use hptuner, would this cause that type of error? Bricked/locked PCM?

I own TunerCats and EFI Live, so I'm unable to help with HP Tuners questions.

With TunerCats and EFI Live, I get a message that I'll need a code to read a flash or to write a flash to a password protected (locked) PCM. I'm going to guess, HP Tuners would have a similar message if the PCM was locked or password protected.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I own TunerCats and EFI Live, so I'm unable to help with HP Tuners questions.

With TunerCats and EFI Live, I get a message that I'll need a code to read a flash or to write a flash to a password protected (locked) PCM. I'm going to guess, HP Tuners would have a similar message if the PCM was locked or password protected.

dave w
    From what I'm reading if the pcm were truly locked I wouldnt br able to live view sensor readings via hpt correct?

Were you able to look at that tunercat profile I posted and see anything that struck you as possibly causing hard starting? I open that comparison text but didnt really understand what I was looking at

I use EFI Live to view / record OBD2 sensor data. I can't remember using EFI Live to view / record sensor data with a locked computer.

It's very time consuming to review the changes of a flash file. The .txt file I posted is the best I can offer. Something else to consider, it's always best to compare the original file vs. the modified file.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    thats understandable. i appreciate your helping me.

Fuel Injected!
    try this one, i made some changes maybe it will start better also did a few tweaks for performance, still you need to tune for those injectors cuz 24lbs 3bar at 4 bar are more like 28lbs inj etc.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by NISANDA View Post
    try this one, i made some changes maybe it will start better also did a few tweaks for performance, still you need to tune for those injectors cuz 24lbs 3bar at 4 bar are more like 28lbs inj etc.
    Thank you so much! Hasn't gotten any better. I'm still wiring up my wideband before I put some miles on it to break in, then an actual dyno tune. Thank you again.