Thread: Newbie needs a little help.

Carb and Points!

Newbie needs a little help.

So playing around with 93 LT1 PCM. 161592I78 ECM Information $DA2 $DA3 using Moates.net APU1 and Tuner Pro RT (same problem with fast burn)

I have 2 aftermarket chips. One by Nasty28 and one by Hypertech. Along with factory BDZL all 256 chips

I can read chip to bin, save bin, modify bin. All chips work in car correctly.

I burn it to a 512 chip, everything verifies fine but ......

When you turn car on it makes for system clicking under dash, and as soon as fuel pump shuts off the cooling fans come on. It will start, but idles to high and has not throttle response. If I pull it out and read it, looks exactly same, but won't run correctly in car.

Somebody please tell me what I am missing.

Thanks for any help.

Vince

Administrator
    Hello Vince,

The Motoroloa processors in the GM computers go to the end of the chip to look for instructions showing where in the chip the program begins. Think of it like opening the last page of the book to find the page number where the story actually begins. Putting the file into a larger chip is like adding pages to the book. You need to make sure the program is at the end of the chip by changing the programming addresses. The $DA files I'm viewing are 32k files so somewhere in the emulation settings you will be looking for something like a "file offset" or "load file at" entry. If you load the calibration starting at $8000 you should be good.

Carb and Points!
    Thanks for your reply,

Yes I understand that there is an offset.

I have tried using Moates Flashsh and Burn, which will show correct offset. Except in this program I can't erase a chip and it says it's blank, I can't read a chip and compare and it succeed. Always failure on Blank check(after erasing) , Verifying chip against buffer( either read or write)

Tuner Pro RT I can directly write to chp, read chip, even verify correct, but it doesn't give me any options to change buffer.

Thanks, Vince

Administrator
    Unfortunately I don't use those tools. If you use a hex editor such as XVI32 you can copy the entire calibration then paste it at the end of the existing calibration to get a 2x sized calibration. Burn that to your chip and it should put the tune in the correct location.