Thread: Gear swap/ABS Reluctor Ring 94 RMW

Carb and Points!

Gear swap/ABS Reluctor Ring 94 RMW

Hi Guys,
    I'm not sure if this question has been asked before or not but, I'm looking for a little advice here.

I'm planning to finally get rid of the old 2.93 gears in my 94RMW, and I would like to keep my ABS functional.

I'm pretty comfortable with adjusting the speedometer settings in TunerPro, but knowing that there is a ABS reluctor ring on the pinion shaft I have a couple questions.

First, Can I re-use the original ring (assuming I can get it off the old pinion and onto the new) and change the Driveshaft PPR setting and/or VSS pulse delay? If so, any help on figuring out the new settings?

Or, do I definitely have to buy the matching ring to go with the gear ratio I choose? And if that is the case do I have to mess with the PPR settings or VSS pulse delay?

Hoping to save $100 on that ring.

Still debating about going with 3.42's or 3.73's but I'll cross that bridge once i get the rest of this figured out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Fuel Injected!
    Short answer is that you must change the reluctor to match the new gear set, the old one should
    not be reused. This can't be adjusted in the PCM.

I've had many different sets of gears in my Bbodies over the years - my vote would be 3.42's
    if you're still running a 4L60E.

-Scott

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by jstrand87 View Post
    I'm … planning to finally get rid of the old 2.93 in my 94RMW, and I would like to keep my ABS functional.
    I'm pretty comfortable with adjusting the speedometer settings in TunerPro, but knowing that there is a ABS reluctor ring on the pinion shaft I have a couple questions.
    First, Can I re-use the original ring (assuming I can get it off the old pinion and onto the new) and change the Driveshaft PPR setting and/or VSS pulse delay? If so, any help on figuring out the new settings?
    Or, do I definitely have to buy the matching ring to go with the gear ratio I choose? And if that is the case do I have to mess with the PPR settings or VSS pulse delay?
    Hoping to save $100 on that ring.
    Still debating about going with 3.42's or 3.73's but I'll cross that bridge once i get the rest of this figured out.
    Been asked THOUSANDS of times on the ImpalaSS Forum.
    If you'd like to keep your ABS functional [you lucky bastaducci], you definitely have to use a 3.42 reluctor ring, or whatever reluctor ring corresponds to the gearset in question.

Years ago, I wrote a questionnaire for those who needed to decide between 3.42 & 3.73.
    Since you hoped to save $100 on the reluctor ring (sorry), 3.42 is an order of magnitude less likely to make your driveshaft resonate like a guitar string / act like a jumprope / need upgrading for $400.
    3.42 also get better hiway MpG than 3.73 above 53MpH [unless you apply stuff you learn here].

When you change the rear axle reluctor AND calibrate the speedometer for it, the ABS then understands how to compare the rear reluctor to the front reluctors.

No need to 'solve' or 'figure out' the 3.42, just use the V4P speed calibration numbers.
    THEY are NOT Lying to You.
    You are NOT Even Lying to Yourself.
    You ARE Being Lied to ... by Your SELF.
    The Last Psychiatrist, aka ... Alone ...

Fuel Injected!
    Bill 'Navy Lifer' Harper's attention to detail is one of the things that set the Impala SS Forum apart about a decade ago.

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulle...ml#post2249069

This post will make it a lil bit easier to understand why it'd be easier to use the correct rear reluctor, than to try to trick the vehicle speed calibration.
    THEY are NOT Lying to You.
    You are NOT Even Lying to Yourself.
    You ARE Being Lied to ... by Your SELF.
    The Last Psychiatrist, aka ... Alone ...

I recently did 3.73 in my wagon and LOVE them.
    A recommendation from 95wagon on impalassforum.
    Didn't keep ABS as it really never worked.
    I think 3.42s would have been disappointing for ME.
    Tony

'88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (aka Babywag)
    '67 Jeep J3000
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT8