Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L67 swap PCM issue

Fuel Injected!
    When you are flashing it do you have a separate switched ignition to the ecu so it has both solid 12v and switched 12v because you need to key off the ignition power while retaining the constant 12v feeds for the tune to stay flashed or it will revert to the old vin number and old vats on tune

Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
    When you are flashing it do you have a separate switched ignition to the ecu so it has both solid 12v and switched 12v because you need to key off the ignition power while retaining the constant 12v feeds for the tune to stay flashed or it will revert to the old vin number and old vats on tune

Oh... no... I don't have that! I'm using a bench harness, I had no idea that was a requirement! That explains the VIN number resetting itself. However, when I read back the program and check it in TunerCATs, it still has the same settings I chose for VATS so it *seems* like that setting is being saved properly. I will definitely modify my harness now though. How long does it need constant power to stay on after switching off ignition power?

OK, I've done that. Reflashed the PCM and wrote a new VIN. Disconnected only ignition power and let it sit for a minute or two. Unplugged it completely. Plugged it back in, and read the VIN. This time it *didn't* reset the VIN back to default, which is good! So I went out to the car to try starting it up and the battery is dead from all of yesterdays cranking attempts. I've got it on the charger so I'll be able to try again later today or tonight.

EFI Live ... Bench Harness Tutorial .pdf is attached below.

dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files

Went through another entire cycle of changing all VATS values, flashing the PCM, disconnecting ignition power before main power about a minute later. Still nothing. Same behavior regardless of VATS settings. Just to confirm for myself, for the 10th+ time, I plugged in the 2000 GTP PCM, engine starts right up and just runs.

I'm lost.

It appears the 2004 Impala PCM is not supported by TunerCats OBD2.

See attached screen shot below.

My initial thinking of using the 2004 PCM was incorrect, my most humble apologies.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is supported. It's OBD2_28. 2004 Chevy 3.8.

I noticed the OBD2_28 VDF, but seems odd to me to include both NA 3.8 and SC 3.8 with the same VDF. There is a note with OBD2_28, that the Pontiac SC is not supported. GM typically used a different PCM part number for SC vs. NA engine applications.

Perhaps an email to TunerCats would help with the VATS?

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Will your software let you open and write a standard .bin file to the PCM?

I used the GM TIS website, along with a random VIN for a 2004 Impala with an L67, to figure out which OSID's are intended for your computer. With that I was able to find a BIN file that has been mapped.

I'm posting the stock bin file as I found it, plus two versions where I've used the methods I know to disable VATS.

v1.0a is the one I think will work:
    -VTD present on car set to 0
    -P1626 fault type set to no reporting
    -P1629 fault type set to no reporting
    -P1630 fault type set to no reporting
    -P1631 fault type set to no reporting

v1.0b is a second try if the first doesn't work:
    -VTD present on car set to 1 (stock value)
    -P1626 fault type set to no reporting
    -P1629 fault type set to no reporting
    -P1630 fault type set to no reporting
    -P1631 fault type set to no reporting
    Attached Files Attached Files

IT RUNS!!

12588500v1.0a.bin was the ticket, thank you so much!! I don't know if it's the updated program version or that my software doesn't disable VATS correctly, but it's running! As an experiment, I took the stock bin, loaded it in TunerCATS and made the same changes you listed here. Then compared it bit-by-bit in a hex editor with your 1.0a bin, and there are three different bits. At position #710CB in my version is #99, in yours it's #9A; and at #7D1C6 my version is #01#FF and yours is #02#00. If I feel like experimenting further, I'll try flashing my version and see if the car stills runs. If it *does* then I'll know that the issue was with the version of the bin I was using as a starting point; if it *doesn't* then obviously my software can't handle VATS on this PCM.

In any case, thank you!

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaraxkad View Post
    IT RUNS!!

12588500v1.0a.bin was the ticket, thank you so much!! I don't know if it's the updated program version or that my software doesn't disable VATS correctly, but it's running! As an experiment, I took the stock bin, loaded it in TunerCATS and made the same changes you listed here. Then compared it bit-by-bit in a hex editor with your 1.0a bin, and there are three different bits. At position #710CB in my version is #99, in yours it's #9A; and at #7D1C6 my version is #01#FF and yours is #02#00. If I feel like experimenting further, I'll try flashing my version and see if the car stills runs. If it *does* then I'll know that the issue was with the version of the bin I was using as a starting point; if it *doesn't* then obviously my software can't handle VATS on this PCM.

In any case, thank you!
    Excellent! Glad I could help.

Since you have a method for writing bin files to the PCM, I'd recommend using the V1.0a file as the base tune and then use TinyTuner to edit it for any further adjustments. I've had very good results using TinyTuner, and it won't allow you to open or edit a BIN file that it doesn't fully support.