Thread: Quick crash course in MAF vs MAP tuning

Quick crash course in MAF vs MAP tuning

Ok latley Ive been helping a few V6 guys with burning chips and tuning on the weekends. I basically have burned a good amount of their chips for fuel milage and a little extra kick with power. Just safe tunes.

Well one of my really good friends has a 1989 305tpi firebird and got the zif adapter and chips. Now since hes a good friend and has no idea of how to tune, I was going to help him datalog and burn a chip of two just to add a little kick to the car and also help his fuel milage as he has a few boldt on mods. Im going to the race track on friday for the weekend, its been a long week....so i just wanted to race but also tune his car a bit, if we get a chance.

The problem is I've never tuned a MAF car before and thats what this car is(165) $6E Mask. Now can anyone just simply explain how to use the VE table values and what are the values on the SA table that go up to 208?? Wow just when I though what I was doing I see a MAF file with the most simple tables but also values I've never seen before. I will continue to search and learn but any added info is always welcome.

Thanks!
    Last edited by fasteddi; 04-27-2012 at 05:04 AM.
    Turbo 3.1/3100 V6 Thirdgen Camaro
    Best 1/4 mile 11.59@119Mph 15psi

Can tell im new at editing the ADX files, just took me 120 minuets to get the history tables and guages set up some what right. That top, left, right, bottom stuff is a PITA untill you know what your doing. Now that I really look at the $59 Adx's I have compared to the $6E or even my simple $88 ones from before....it is truley amazing at the time someone put into those $59 ones!!

So what Im seeing is my gr/sec vs volts tables are my fueling tables?? Lower the value for less fuel, raise value for more fuel? Seems easy I guess but still woundering what the values are at the top of the SA table. Im guessing that is also the gr/sec as a value there?

Also is the raw MAF input the Vts, so that I can add a guage for that. I would think I would want it as the volts and not the gr/sec for tuning.

Man, I like MAP/kpa numbers alot more.
    Last edited by fasteddi; 04-27-2012 at 05:29 AM.
    Turbo 3.1/3100 V6 Thirdgen Camaro
    Best 1/4 mile 11.59@119Mph 15psi

Super Moderator
    in the 1227165:

the MAFs are 0-5 volts units, not frequency as used in later applications.

yes, mod the MAF tables assuming no other logical option comes up for adjusting fueling for a specific mod.

the numbers you're seeing in the Main spark and a few other tables are "LV8". they are an indicator of load. if you play with any OBD2 stuff you'll see tables reference mg/cyl or g/cyl, this is the exact same thing, just without a direct real-world comparable unit. there should be a scalar used to multiply the value created to basically allow you to fine-tune the amount of range you can read. for ex: 2 5.0 liter engines, 1 with a turbo, 1 with the most restrictive heads ever. the turbo can suck down 600 grams/sec, but the resticted motor can only down 150 grams/sec. they can both use the same MAF and a different LV8 scalar to allow both to use the same amount of cells in the tables/etc. one will just have a much finer resolution(restricted engine), while one will have much greater range(turbo).

honestly, mass/cylinder is an excellent way of defining stuff like SA.... it took me a while to realize it myself, but it accounts for changes better than vacuum can. i forget my exact reasoning ATM, but it is something i will be placing an option for in nAst1 whenever i get my damn MAF code finished. it would also allow directly porting SA tables from an engine that was originally only available with an OBD2 PCM... :)
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E