Thread: e38 unlocking corrupt ecm

Fuel Injected!

e38 unlocking corrupt ecm

I've got an E38 ECM trying to unlock. Someone put 08 OS on a 2010 service number. ECM responds, I was even able to change the VIN in EFI Live. EFI Live will unlock and READ it fine, using ALT KEY 2 it unlocks and reads. Of course EFI Live will not tell me what the key was. When I try to unlock the ECM in the v7.5 software it is not successful. The serial number is corrupt, and EFI Live won't program the ecm. My guess the 7.5 is not trying all the same ALT key's that the v8 Read/Write program uses.

Anyone know what KEY EFI LIve is using when it gets to the ALT KEY's? If I can find out the key, i have alternative means to program the ecm that doesn't care about the SN being corrupt.

by ALT Key I mean....EFI Shows status when you click on Read, I selected "Try Common Alternative Keys"

unlocking: Trying MFG Key
    unlocking: Trying AUTO Key 1
    unlocking: Trying AUTO Key 2
    unlocking: Trying FS Key 1
    unlocking: Trying FS Key 2
    unlocking: Trying ALT Key 1
    unlocking: Trying ALT Key 2 when it gets to this one, it takes off reading the calibration.

I use EFI Live V8 to read / write to the E38.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    V8 will unlock the ecm with ALT Key 2, but stops when it sees corrupt SN trying to write. It reads fine. I just need to figure out what the KEY is,

Unfortunately, I do not have the Key.

I one had to have an E38 flashed with a GM Tech II tool, to change the OS.

dave w

You will never be able to write this ecu with EFI live. Seems someone flashed the wrong OS in it. The ecm serial is not a writable region like the LS1b controllers. If your reading it it means EFI live is identifying the seed/key combo. Tunercat should be able to flash it