Thread: hey guys i need help

Fuel Injected!

hey guys i need help

hey yall, I really enjoy the forum,ive been reading and trying to learn how to use tunerpro rt as a scanner...…..
    reason being I have a 1993 3500 7.4 that's kicking my ass...I have an autel maxisys pro and a j2534 maxiflash pro for the obd2 stuff...but never fooled with much obd1

ok I bought the moates cable,downloaded all the needed software,and I can not find the appropiate xdf ? file the ads says TBD for my year and ecm # which is 16147060 prom is a BAMP 5215 blue.

im sure im missing something stupid, can one of you guys be so kind as to point me in the right direction,so I read the data on this pig and figure out why its such a DOG

THANKS MIKE

ps:
    I also get a driver error for an unknown device in device manager,not sure if its related to tunerpro or not,its saying driver not found code 28,for the unknown device.
    my cable in on com port 3 and says its working properly.

thanks my burb I will go try that right now
    Last edited by mike454; 05-05-2019 at 10:44 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Try this
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-85
    If this doesn't work goto the forum obd1 and then to definitions. To see real time you will need adx.
    6395, BHDF, 7.4 BBC lightly modded now 6395 BMHM back to BHDF

Fuel Injected!
    ok thank you myburb for the quick reply.
    I tried that adx and still nothing.
    I think maybe im having a connection issue....maybe driver or something\,its says hardware not found when I open tuner pro,and ive never got it to say hardware found when I hit the little plug to initialize emulation hardware .
    I also get a driver error for an unknown device in device manager,not sure if its related to tunerpro or not,its saying driver not found code 28,for an unknown device.
    my cable is on com port 3 and says its working properly.

maybe a hardware or driver issue? who knows....im going in circles,i can usually figure out whats going on but im stumped..

ive read and reread the install instructions,uninstalled and reinstalled tuner pro.....NOTHING.

maybe its just this truck,but I can read it with both my old OBD 1 scanners,

arrrrrggghhhh!!!
    Last edited by mike454; 05-06-2019 at 12:16 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    In the first part of this Youtube video he talks about selection the correct comms port, maybe that will help?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaaV9OVrve4

Fuel Injected!
    Have you tried just data logging rather than emulating. Some have found that easier to connect.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by myburb View Post
    Try this
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-85
    If this doesn't work goto the forum obd1 and then to definitions. To see real time you will need adx.
    If you find which COM port to use in question, open your device manager to usb WITH your hardware DISCONNECTED. When you plug it into USB port, your new device will appear at which you can look at which COM port it is using then...
    Try follow instructions post #5: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...utoprom-issues

This shouldn't cause any connectivity issues I think... Did you go to the link within the link myburb posted? Your BCC BAMP needs to use $D8 xdf/adx etc...

Fuel Injected!
    yes I did use the link myburb posted, and then I tried to use it to read 2 other obd1 Chevys,we have sitting around,and I couldn't read any of them(93 5.7 tbi wagon)and a 92 Buick roadmaster 5.7..
    I did look them up and got the mask and xdf/adx ect.( I figured it was good practice looking up and changing the definitions.and when it still wouldn't connect no matter what I did.i was about to pull out another old laptop that was running win98 instead of Windows 7....
    as I was inspecting the New cable, and thought surely its good, (after all its New) getting ready to hook it to the other laptop and start all over......it hit me to try another cable extension,
    and that's when I Finally figured out the no connect problem about 1am. lol
    It was the ***#*$*^ Brand New usb extension cable that came with the obd1 plug from moates.
    I switched it to a "known good" cable and wahla it said connected
    I did use the modified adx file that Myburb sent the link to as well. Thanks Myburb and stew86mcss396
    I can read all the sensors and data now. Whew....
    I was beginning to think I can't read and follow directions.....lol
    if I can't see the problem,I will record a data log and see if someone here could look it over and help me see where the problem lies.

background.......
    93 chevy crew cab 2wd 3500 7.4 4l80e with only 23,000 miles!
    Its an ex TBI(Tennessee Bureau of Investigations) crime scene truck, that we bought at auction.
    When we got it I removed the ambulance box off of it,they had used for investigators,and put an aluminum flat bed on it.....with plans to tow a trailer with 3 Polaris sxs's on it. but hell it barely will pull itself.
    Now I know these truck were terrible even when new with 215hp and 340lb ft tq.,
    Ive had,and worked on,a bunch of these tbi,peanut head,power houses, so I'm very familiar with how they run, and this one definitely has an issue.
    Of course put in a new fuel pump and filter, as it had sat a lot more than it was driven..and that got it running, and runs smooth at idle, and revs fine with no load.
    ..so I commenced to working on it.

since then I replaced the distributor,coil,cap,wires,plugs,coolant temp sensor and plug, knock sensor that was broken, and A/C comp..
    Runs smooth,no CEL/codes,just NO Power.......Runs like its starving for fuel, at WOT it acts exactly like one with a plugged filter, but its not and fuel pressure is right on specs(9-13psi) according to alldata.
    I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, spring, and screens.....spray pattern seems steady and fine.

thanks guys for your help and suggestions
    I'll update with what I see,don't see, on the test drive
    mike454
    Last edited by mike454; 05-07-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    ok, just drove it some and only thing I noticed is at WOT, ignition timing is at 14.09 degrees
    when back off throttle to say half to 1/3 it goes back to 22-24....and at light throttle pressure like cruising speed its at 36 to 40 degrees.

I know the lack of timing at WOT Load is why it has no power....but why is it retarding it? No knock counts( it stayed at 3 the whole time) everything else looks fine except total timing under load and wide open throttle.
    what controls the timing on these? ignition module, pcm, prom?
    I did record it as I was driving around( which is cool) and looking at it, I can see the issue just not the cause.
    anybody have an idea, or can point me in the right direction.
    I will go find the flow chart at all data and see if I can figure it out.
    is there a way to alter the timing table on these, if there is not a bad part causing the issue??
    thanks
    mike454

Fuel Injected!
    In TunerPro go to: Tools/ Parameter Finder, in the window that opens set the drop down box "find" to "A table" and type "spark" into the phrase box and click search.
    You should see a bunch of items come up, one of the top ones should be something like "Main Spark Table vs MAP vs RPM (open throttle)".
    That should show you what you're looking for and yes you can alter save and then upload the changes (assuming you have the right hardware).

Fuel Injected!
    hey kitch,
    yes I had found that table,I thought that was where I needed to be, but wasn't sure ​so if I understand it correctly,all the vehicle specific tuning is on the prom chip, and the pcm is just the hardware to make it all run.
    there is nothing on the pcm as far as tuning....
    I saw the other hardware for burning the chips when I got the cable, there were 2 different ones one was like 175.00 and the other was 329.00
    I just ordered the 329.00 APU1 WITH 2 OF THE TBI Big Blue G1 adapters just in case.lol

which one do y'all recommend for a newb to the obd1 stuff

Can I alter it and run it with emulator? now I know I would need hardware to refresh the chip.
    but will TunerPro emulate the changes with just the software and cable? or do you have to have hardware to try Any changes?
    sorry im just trying to get my head around all this.....much different than just flashing an oem file from gm site for the obd2 stuff,ive done that a bunch.

thanks for the help guys
    mike454
    if this has morphed into a different subject matter and needs to be moved to a different forum,now that I got the TunerPro working, then please let me know...or just move it
    Last edited by mike454; 05-08-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    You have have some hardware and adapter and chip to change and burn chips. The 329 is probably the apu1, I have that and it works well. It allows reading, writing, data logging and emulating and it works hand and hand with tuner pro.