Thread: Tune or chips ? What are my options for this baby build?

Carb and Points!

Unhappy Tune or chips ? What are my options for this baby build?

Hello all I'm in need of advice and some recommendations.
    I have 95 tahoe 350 tbi flat tappet , don't have roller provisions I accept that. Will purchasing vortec heads and summit 1101 cam kit in the near future. I am full aware that I need afollowings tune or chip to unlock it's full potential.
    Who can I trust to buy a chip from to make all this work efficiently because honestly I was about use brian harris 10 mins ago . I really been following his guide on the tbi build and all is well. Are there other options online I am located in south jersey and mostly all these shops offer it are mostly obd2 oriented also saying it's obsolete for these gm vehicles.
    Going to add not trying to run 10s just trying to have fun and cruise . Thank you for reading

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusted&Trusted View Post
    I have 95 tahoe 350 tbi flat tappet , don't have roller provisions I accept that. Will purchasing vortec heads and summit 1101 cam kit in the near future. I am full aware that I need afollowings tune or chip to unlock it's full potential.
    Who can I trust to buy a chip from to make all this work efficiently because honestly I was about use brian harris 10 mins ago . I really been following his guide on the tbi build and all is well. Are there other options online I am located in south jersey and mostly all these shops offer it are mostly obd2 oriented also saying it's obsolete for these gm vehicles.
    Going to add not trying to run 10s just trying to have fun and cruise . Thank you for reading
    1101 is practically the stock cam. 1102, MTC-1 or CS1014R are better choices.

Carb and Points!
    Thank you i was going go with the mtc-1 but after reading some post across Google from a lot of other forums seems people running this cam have less trouble tuning or getting chip to match. I guess I'm not building what I want, but a Frankenstein of goodluck. I am trying my best to keep the tbi

How about the Lunati Voodoo cams? My 10120700 with 1.6 roller rockers gives me good low end torque, idles smooth, and will keep up with traffic!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10120700

Quote Originally Posted by Rusted&Trusted View Post
    I have 95 tahoe 350 tbi flat tappet , don't have roller provisions I accept that.
    You could have a roller block or not. My 1995 van was a roller block and it was original to the van. Don't accept the stuff you read on tbi chips where he says no 1995 blocks are roller compatible, you have to look. I pulled the distributor and the block had the taller lifer bores AND the tops where machined flat. I took a chance and knew I may be ordering a flat tappet once it was down. Its harder to see on a truck without the dog house though but bore scopes are more common now, I think harbor freight even has one.

Electronic Ignition!
    I built a replacement motor for my 1994 350 using a 1990 block. It did not have provisions for the roller, so I stuck with flat tappet cam. When transferring my stock 1994 intake/TBI to the rebuilt motor, I discovered the 1994 block DID have the roller provision. Live and learn...

The rebuilt motor has a Comp "RV" cam, Summit aluminum heads, shorty headers and original intake/TBI (thank-you CA emissions control gods...). I initially bought a JET stage 1 chip, which helped, but didn't fully take advantage of the mods. With the help of this forum and 3rd Gen TBI Tune, I leaned to reprogram and flash my own custom chip. WOW... what a difference. Initially it seemed a daunting task, but by reading as many posts as possible and starting with baby-steps, it all began to make sense.

My humble advice is to try and learn custom chip tuning for your specific setup and if you need help, this forum is the place to go. PS- if you want a slightly-used Jet stage 1 chip, I know where you can get one.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rittercon View Post
    I built a replacement motor for my 1994 350 using a 1990 block. It did not have provisions for the roller, so I stuck with flat tappet cam. When transferring my stock 1994 intake/TBI to the rebuilt motor, I discovered the 1994 block DID have the roller provision. Live and learn...

The rebuilt motor has a Comp "RV" cam, Summit aluminum heads, shorty headers and original intake/TBI (thank-you CA emissions control gods...). I initially bought a JET stage 1 chip, which helped, but didn't fully take advantage of the mods. With the help of this forum and 3rd Gen TBI Tune, I leaned to reprogram and flash my own custom chip. WOW... what a difference. Initially it seemed a daunting task, but by reading as many posts as possible and starting with baby-steps, it all began to make sense.

My humble advice is to try and learn custom chip tuning for your specific setup and if you need help, this forum is the place to go. PS- if you want a slightly-used Jet stage 1 chip, I know where you can get one.
    My uncle had 94 C1500 2wd ECSB he bought NEW from GM. At about 200K miles the timing chain went. I helped him pull it down and we resealed the valve covers at the same time. His factory original 350 had a roller cam and 217 heads.