Thread: Fuel pump controller

Fuel Injected!

Fuel pump controller

Hi all,

I am running a 1990 police 5.7 with the original TBI. I use a Carter P5001 pump attached to a cross member that is under and behind my gas tank. It uses a 100 micron pre and 10 micron post filter. This is just for back ground.

The pump has been running for about 5 years now and is starting to cut out. I do have a new spare, but before I change it I thought I would think about the issue I have. Mainly noise. I can hear the pump half a block away. I had been reading lately on using PWM fuel pump controllers to help with noise, heat, and longevity. Every application I have read up on was for higher pressure pumps. I am not sure this would benefit a TBI installation. Most controllers I have read up on require a returnless system too.

Has anyone here installed one and what was your results?

Thanks

I've replaced frame mounted fuel pumps with in-tank fuel pumps from Tanks Inc. http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...=cat/cat61.htm

I've never liked, and will never use a frame mount EFI fuel pump!

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Hi Dave. Thanks for your reply. I wish I could use an in-tank pump, but my tank doesn't work well with them. I drive an FJ40 with the tank under the passenger seat. There is very little room to have plumbing and little space in the sump area that isn't already filled with the sender.

I was thinking of a hybrid solution of using a surge tank underneath with a Bosch 044, but even with it mostly enclosed in fuel they are said to be loud. However, a pump controller might work better on a higher pressure pump then a low pressure one. This would also require a lift pump and if I used the stock mechanical pump for that it would increase the complexity with extra lines, etc.

One suggestion from other posts was not to use a pre-filter since they cause extra strain on the pumps. The P5001 does have a strainer screen inside...

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I've replaced frame mounted fuel pumps with in-tank fuel pumps from Tanks Inc. http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...=cat/cat61.htm

I've never liked, and will never use a frame mount EFI fuel pump!

dave w

I completely understand budget and fuel tank dimensional constraints. I'm thinking a custom EFI fuel tank is not in the budget?

Hopefully another member will have a solution that works for you.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I ended up buying a Walbro GSL395. It is nearly silent. I installed it today and will get it on the road tomorrow to make sure if works well.

Fuel Injected!
    Those cars came with in tank pumps. I run a TPI pump in my '88 caprice currently. the plastic fuel tanks from 94-96 caprices are a direct bolt in to the older "boxy" caprices as well.

Fuel Injected!
    Good to hear you found a quieter pump. I've read many times that Carter pumps are noisy. I'm running a pump for an older Ford port injection with external pump and it's quiet enough I don't notice it so quiet is possible.

PWM would have worked, but I'm not sure how much quieter it would be.