Thread: Tuning OBD1 GM EFI using Tuner Pro RT

Tuning OBD1 GM EFI using Tuner Pro RT

So is it correct to assume that Tunerpro RT is something that I can really screw my original program with if I hit a wrong button? Should I read with WinALDL then go to another then go throught it with Tunerpro RT program to modify the program?

I am just at the beginning of figuring all of this out. have been a diesel fabricator for a decade, just now starting to take the 'nerd' step!

FYI: I have an 89 gmc v1500 and an 02 chevy trailblazer with an inline 4.2. I got so pissed off at tbi I removed it from my 88 dodge ramcharger and installed a four barrel, then I decided to learn more about it. My dad always told me that hindsight is 20/20, never realized what he was telling me until now!
    1989 GMC V1500
    2002 Chevy Trailblazer
    1988 Dodge Ramcharger

Re: Tuning OBD1 GM EFI using Tuner Pro RT

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking.

You can't mess up the bin file on the MEMCAL or EPROM, as long as it's not an EEPROM (EE = Electronically Erasable), by hitting the wrong button. You can only read the bin files when they are EPROM, with TP RT, and a BURN2 or APU1.

Also, if you don't save the file when you change something in TP RT, it won't change the original file.

Sometimes when I will save the file I want to adjust to a new unique name, before even changing anything. That way you know for sure that you still have the original file.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

When you have a .bin file open in TunerPro you can make any change you want. Then like SixShooter said save the file.

Unless you are emulating! But then you have to be hooked up to an emulater like the Moates AutoProm. Then yes you could add 100 degrees of timing and hurt something.

If your just hooked up to your vehicle and recording data you can't make any changes to your .bin (chip) so no you can't hurt anything.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Ok, so I can plug into the truck and read data, and I can't do anything to 'change' a program.

To emulate I need to pull the computer or the eeprpp(sp? I won't lie I don't know what it's called) (the chip housing) I think I better find the software to read from the underdash plug and the cable first.
    1989 GMC V1500
    2002 Chevy Trailblazer
    1988 Dodge Ramcharger

I have kept the message open since I wrote the first paragraph, I'm pretty sure I'll have more questions to ask about bins

I've found two .bin files in the album that somewhat matches my truck. Mine is an 1989 GMC V1500 with the 700r4 and 3.73 gears. I have found as of right now two that are close. One is ACSU_87_R-V_Truck_5_7TBI_7oor4.bin the other is ACSW_87_R-V_Truck_5_7TBI_700r4_california.bin
    I realize that one is for cali, but would there be a difference for the 4th letter?

Would the cali make that much of a difference in '87?

If there is no exact match, then what is the variable that matters the least? the gears?

Found one that's a '91 will that work or was there changes from the '89 to the '91?

Found an exact match but its got the 2.73 gears, can I hurt anything by looking at it?

What would be the difference of in using a G van .bin?
    1989 GMC V1500
    2002 Chevy Trailblazer
    1988 Dodge Ramcharger

So what do I read the .bin file with the pdf viewer?
    1989 GMC V1500
    2002 Chevy Trailblazer
    1988 Dodge Ramcharger

Fuel Injected!

Open Tuner Pro, select your .bin file, then select your .xdf...(just mouse over toolbar icons to find functions) that loads your info into TP for viewing.

Spoke with Dave W. this weekend, he got me on the right course. Also got a large amount of 'homework' to do. This hobby has officially become addicting!
    1989 GMC V1500
    2002 Chevy Trailblazer
    1988 Dodge Ramcharger

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by mudbuggy View Post
    Spoke with Dave W. this weekend, he got me on the right course. Also got a large amount of 'homework' to do. This hobby has officially become addicting!
    sorry to bump a very old post, but i couldn't help but chuckle when reading this statement!!!

We have considered using the AA 12 step program for recovery! But everyone thought AA was to disable Checksum...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    ROTFLMAO, beautiful!! i love it! can i leave my sign in sheet at the door, or do i see the secretary on my way out???