Thread: How to know when/where ESC is used?

Carb and Points!

How to know when/where ESC is used?

I'm in the middle of a discussion on Facebook over the ESC module and when/where it's used. Used Rock Auto for reference and it spans '84-'95 over several models, several being the same platform (i.e. '94 C1500 pickup and C1500 Suburban). I see certain models have it for a specific year but others don't - case in point the '94 pickup/Suburban scenario... can someone explain?

Fuel Injected!
    It is used on 84-95 vehicles, it is just in different places between years. For trucks, 93-95 had them on the memcal in the computer right next to the chip. Before that, there was an ESC module on a bracket on the intake manifold. Cars were sort of the same deal but I don't know the cuttoffs.
    Last edited by c5wagner; 04-18-2019 at 05:30 AM.

Administrator
    C3 computers used two small chips containing calibration configuration data and required an external ESC module. P4/P66 computers used a memcal with calibration data and the esc filter in one package. For example, the 1227747 ecm requires an external knock module. The 16197427 pcm does not. The reason for the difference in trucks is that the electronically shifted transmissions, 4L60E and 4L80E, required the use of the newer, more expensive P4 while manual transmissions retained the simpler C3.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doober View Post
    I'm in the middle of a discussion on Facebook over the ESC module and when/where it's used. Used Rock Auto for reference and it spans '84-'95 over several models, several being the same platform (i.e. '94 C1500 pickup and C1500 Suburban). I see certain models have it for a specific year but others don't - case in point the '94 pickup/Suburban scenario... can someone explain?
    Assuming 5.7 engine for both the Automatics used the P4 with the knock filter in the Memcal and the Stick shifts still used the P3 with the remote ESC module.

The old CCC Carb engines also used the remote ESC module if they were equipped with ESC.