Thread: 4L60e to 700R4 PCM

Electronic Ignition!

4L60e to 700R4 PCM

93 4.3 CPI swapped into a Toyota

It took me a month of troubleshooting to figure out the VSS /Buffer signal to get my swap working right. I relocated it from the tcase to the tail housing with the advanced adapters kit. Welp, the tail housing cracked like an egg right where I drilled the sensor on my first outing.

So I'm not messing with this anymore and my good buddy runs a 700R4 in his rig behind an LS and is super happy with it. I'm going to throw a full manual valve body in the 700R4 and ditch the TV cable. What do I need to do to the PCM to make it not freak out when it looses all coms with the trans?

Reprogram the chip for a Manual Transmission.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    full manual valve bodies are garbage for the 700r4. talk to dana @ probuilt automatics for better solutions.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    full manual valve bodies are garbage for the 700r4. talk to dana @ probuilt automatics for better solutions.
    One of my closest friends has been wheeling a TCI one behind a 5.3 with a mild cam, with Dana 60/80 F/R on 42s for 3 years and loves it and has had no issues.

Why do you say theyre garbage?

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Reprogram the chip for a Manual Transmission.

dave w
    They sell proms that are for my same part number computer but manual. Is that the solution or is there a rewrite solution? Haven't found a concrete answer in my search.

Quote Originally Posted by tgelles View Post
    They sell proms that are for my same part number computer but manual. Is that the solution or is there a rewrite solution? Haven't found a concrete answer in my search.
    Based on the wording of your question, I'm thinking you have little or no experience with PROM Chip programming. Myself and other gearhead-efi members have the ability to reprogram PROM chips. If your interested in my help re-programming your PROM Chip to manual transmission, please send me a Private Message (PM) for details.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    I found this link with the BIN files for my computer and they have a manual one available, but they're for a 7.4 which i'm sure will not work.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-OE

Fuel Injected!
    One of my closest friends has been wheeling a TCI one behind a 5.3 with a mild cam, with Dana 60/80 F/R on 42s for 3 years and loves it and has had no issues.

Why do you say theyre garbage?
    I guess if shift feel and drivetrain longevity are not a concern then fly at it. AFAIK they run full pressure which is not a long term solution for any sort of long transmission life. I am surprised they picked a 700r4 for a 4x4 of that stature, i am running one in my 1/2 ton pickup and would be going a different route if it was any larger. i've built a few 700r4 and 4l60e and personally wouldn't run a full manual valve body on anything that wasnt a purpose built race car/truck. Put it in drive and go. neck snapping shifts + wet/icey climate where i am from does not make for a fun driving experience. YMMV.

Fuel Injected!
    If you want a "full manual" valve body save your money on the TCI unit and get a transgo2&3 shift kit and setup it up for manual mode. Again, talk to Dana @ probuilt.

Electronic Ignition!
    I guess if shift feel and drivetrain longevity are not a concern then fly at it. AFAIK they run full pressure which is not a long term solution for any sort of long transmission life. I am surprised they picked a 700r4 for a 4x4 of that stature, i am running one in my 1/2 ton pickup and would be going a different route if it was any larger. i've built a few 700r4 and 4l60e and personally wouldn't run a full manual valve body on anything that wasnt a purpose built race car/truck. Put it in drive and go. neck snapping shifts + wet/icey climate where i am from does not make for a fun driving experience. YMMV.
    I guess I should have clarified. This is a purpose built truck. Trailer to and trailer from the trail. The transgo kits are temping but not having reverse pattern for what we do is super annoying. Plus my buddy had one installed in two 4L60e's that advertise the same functionality and they would still randomly shift up without moving the shifter. Just going by what the people I see all the time are telling me what has and hasn't worked for them.

Fuel Injected!
    If it's not going to see the highwat why not run a th350 th400 with reverse pattern? they can be built for a fraction of the price of a 700r4. not trying to get too off topic here, but 700r4/4L60Es are not cheap to build.

Fuel Injected!
    If it's not going to see the highwat why not run a th350 th400 with reverse pattern? they can be built for a fraction of the price of a 700r4. not trying to get too off topic here, but 700r4/4L60Es are not cheap to build.
    Agreed, especially if this is a trailer rig, why do you need the overdrive? The th400 sounds like the better choice here as it really is a cheap transmission to build for strength and can be found very easily.

Fuel Injected!
    I found this link with the BIN files for my computer and they have a manual one available, but they're for a 7.4 which i'm sure will not work.
    A 94 bin should work fine with your ecm
    Attached Files Attached Files

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by c5wagner View Post
    A 94 bin should work fine with your ecm
    Thank you so much!