Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: introduction from (to?) California

Fuel Injected!
    The problem first of all is just getting that chip. There MIGHT be one at a Pick-n-Pull 200 miles from here. Some yards listed on car-part.com don't answer the phone or e-mail. One had a dead e-mail account. Talked to one, got a crazy ECM part number, told to hang on, eventually just disconnected.

Maybe an omen that this particular idea is not a great one ....

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by jiho View Post
    Anybody got a BBBX chip? 1993 B-body LO5, California emissions, EO on file.

BBB is the code on the underhood emissions label for my LD5. An LO5 would X that out nicely.
    Have you tried Ebay?

Fuel Injected!
    Yes, nothing yet. The problem there is needing the California chip. Most cars were sold in other states.

Fuel Injected!
    You're reading normal logic into it, like I did at first. Then I talked to a district Referee Supervisor about it. That's just not how they think.

They have published guidelines, which specify that the catalytic converter (from the donor) must be "positioned under the vehicle in the same linear position within the exhaust stream as measured from the exhaust manifold outlet." To within 6 inches.

Try drawing a diagram that satisfies that requirement.
    Last edited by jiho; 04-12-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    A simple 2D diagram (hand-drawn would do) showing schematically how the stock head-to-converter exhaust components could be re-arranged for a swap that would meet the specified requirement.

Fuel Injected!
    You're looking into this a little hard, I have a 5.7l TBI swapped into my jeep and I'm in California. As long as the exhaust manifolds look stock (I have ramhorn exhaust manifolds instead of the stock rear dump) and you have a catalytic converter with the right EO number, they don't really care to much about the exhaust. The one and only reason I failed my first smog referee inspection was because I reused my jeep charcoal canister instead of the chevy one that was for the engine..... Went to the pick and pull and pulled one out of the same year k1500 and all was good second time around.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by c5wagner View Post
    You're looking into this a little hard, I have a 5.7l TBI swapped into my jeep and I'm in California. As long as the exhaust manifolds look stock (I have ramhorn exhaust manifolds instead of the stock rear dump) and you have a catalytic converter with the right EO number, they don't really care to much about the exhaust. The one and only reason I failed my first smog referee inspection was because I reused my jeep charcoal canister instead of the chevy one that was for the engine..... Went to the pick and pull and pulled one out of the same year k1500 and all was good second time around.
    My problem with the LO5 swap is, there are plenty of the truck motors, and plenty of cars with the add-on parts, but not (so far) the California-certified PROM chip (BBBX for 1993 B-bodies).

(AWJN or BCWZ for 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood would also work, none of those either.)
    Last edited by dave w; 04-13-2019 at 08:08 AM.

Does a California Referee open up the computer to verify the correct code on the PROM Chip? Have you searched A1 Cardone for PROM Chips? Would an aftermarket STOCK PROM Chip be CARB Legal?

A1 Cardone: http://www.cardone.com/products/elec...les-prom-chips

http://www.cardone.com/find-parts/ve...wood&year=1993

dave w

Cardone PROM.jpg
    Last edited by dave w; 04-13-2019 at 05:49 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I don't know if the Referee opens it up or not. He certainly plugs into it for a scan.

If Cardone sells it, I'd have to think that would pass one way or another. But RockAuto says it's Out of Stock, and gives no way to order. I take that to mean that Cardone sells factory chips that they remove from ECM cores that people send in, and they haven't got any of these (naturally). By "remanufactured" they just mean they've checked them out. But there's never any chip to check out, because everybody removes it before sending in the ECM core.
    Last edited by jiho; 04-13-2019 at 06:26 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    There MIGHT be one at a Pick-n-Pull 200 miles from here.
    Called. Car not there anymore. Gone.

I don't know if the Referee opens it up or not. He certainly plugs into it for a scan.

If Cardone sells it, I'd have to think that would pass one way or another. But RockAuto says it's Out of Stock, and gives no way to order. I take that to mean that Cardone sells factory chips that they remove from ECM cores that people send in, and they haven't got any of these (naturally). By "remanufactured" they just mean they've checked them out. But there's never any chip to check out, because everybody removes it before sending in the ECM core.
    Most members do not have PROM Chip programming equipment or an Electronics skill set working with PROM Chips. Gearhead-efi has a library of binary files (.bin files) located here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/bin/ If a member has their own PROM programming equipment and the desired Broadcast Code (BCC) the member is looking for is in the gearhead-efi library, then the member can download the desired .bin file and program their own chip.

A1 Cardone will program the .bin file into a PROM Chip according to the BCC. A1 Cardone has the complete GM BCC .bin file library to program chips with. BBBX is only half the BCC code A1 Cardone will need, usually there are 4 numeric numbers after BBBX. See an example here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/BCCFind/

Fuel Injected!
    Yes, I know about BCCs. And BINs.

If Cardone has BINs they can program, why does RockAuto say it's Out of Stock and not offer any way to order? Cardone has no way to order.

Fuel Injected!
    BTW, when I enter BBBX, BCCFind returns an error.

I have info from CalData (the TunerCAT utility), though.
    Last edited by jiho; 04-13-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    A1 Cardone will program the .bin file into a PROM Chip according to the BCC. A1 Cardone has the complete GM BCC .bin file library to program chips with.
    This is from the Cardone site:

"GM PROMs, the precursers to FLASH Reprogramming, come directly from O.E. ECM cores and are tested for proper function."

Why RockAuto says it's Out of Stock: Cardone doesn't have any from ECM cores.

See down this page, under "Features & Benefits":

http://www.cardone.com/Products/Prod...+prom%3a%3a%3a
    Last edited by jiho; 04-13-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Yes, I know about BCCs. And BINs.

If Cardone has BINs they can program, why does RockAuto say it's Out of Stock and not offer any way to order? Cardone has no way to order.
    I don't know why, I don't work for A1 Cardone or work for Rock Auto. Perhaps a phone call to A1 Cordone technical support would yield the requested information asked above.

The last time I purchased a chip from A1 Cardone (1986 Grand Am) was in 1998. As I recall, the chip I received had an A1 Cardone part number on it, not a factory BCC label. The 86 Grand Am uses a 2732 Chip (Type 3 in A1 Cardone Product Link). Starting in the late 80's GM incorporated the 27C256 & 27C512 chip inside the Memcal (Types 1 & 2 in the A1 Cardone Product Link). Perhaps for vehicle applications with Memcals, A1 Cardone only provides matching BCC Memcals?

Some gearhead-efi members, that have chip programming equipment, can reprogram a chip incorporated in the Memcal. For some gearhead-efi members finding the BCC .bin file for a specific vehicle application is all that is required to complete the project. The gearhead-efi BCC .bin library has helped many members since the site started! Admittedly not all BCC .bin files used by GM are in the gearhead-efi library.

BCC .bin files can purchased from TunerCats, but requires a VIN for the specific vehicle application. My most recent BBC .bin purchase ($25) from TunerCats was for a Fiero project (Cadillac 4.9 liter engine swap).

dave w