Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: introduction from (to?) California

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by jiho View Post
    GAAK, this L05 is getting very murky. I can't get a straight answer on the truck version. Did it really have a flat tappet cam? The cars had roller. What exactly was the truck compression? And while the Caprice and Roadmaster list 9.8:1, the Fleetwood lists 9.68? The Fleetwood also lists different hp and torque at different rpms. One of the supposed advantages of the L05 was the surplus of truck motors to use as long blocks, with three different cars for bolt-ons. Now it's starting to feel like I'm sticking my foot in it ....
    Cars are all flat top piston ~9.6:1 compression. Two different cam flavors. The small 305 TBI cam in the civilian cars and the L98 350 TPI cam in the 9C1 cop cars. Trucks have 2 different piston options. 12cc dished for 9.3:1 and 18cc dished for 8.75:1. Most trucks are flat tappet.

Some of the G30 vans built as cutaway chassis in the mid 90s (with speed goverened TBI units) had roller cams and a different part number engine with a forged crank. Those were also setup with intake and exhaust rotators and larger valve stems to deal with the heat of burning propane or natural gas. They were setup with the GM industrial 350 cam. Peak torque was around 2,000 rpm on those. I have one and it had OEM piston oil squirting jets machined into the mains.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    Cars are all flat top piston ~9.6:1 compression.
    In that case only the Cadillac info was close. I was looking at MVMA docs. Maybe the others, someone had poor eyesight and mistook "6" for "8".

Fuel Injected!
    Meanwhile, another problem. I was planning to rebuild a 350C tranny. A suitable prospect is listed by that local yard I mentioned, that has a web site that seems to show actual current stock. So I call them, their system shows it, guy goes out to look and it isn't there. Of course not.

Now I have to start the laborious and pessimistic task of calling other yards listed on Car-Part.com, all of which are 100-400 miles away and no more likely to have hits. I don't know of any other place to even start.

Theoretically I could do a 200-4R instead, but why would the situation be any different.

I suppose I could try hitting up local transmission shops, to see if one has a core they'd sell me ....

Administrator
    Sounds like a long fight. I think checking the transmission shops is a great idea. If you have any garages around that seem to have old, crusty cars around they might be able to help as well. I know there are yards out here that aren't on car-part. Does your county have an accessible list of recycling yards?

Out here the vehicles that used that transmission are mostly gone. We have a bad infestation of metal termites. So we have to rely on Craigslist and more frequently Facebook Marketplace. I don't like the idea but I'm actually considering creating an FB account for access to the marketplace. The millennials I work with are getting tired of supporting my car parts habit.

Fuel Injected!
    No shortage of old vehicles around Southern California, I can easily yank any transmissions I need out of the pick and pulls around 50 miles of me. I even have a 4x4 th350c for a future cj5 project. Why not find a 700r4? The cost for a new driveshaft is negligible when you consider how much easier and cheaper a 700r4 core can be found and built.

Fuel Injected!
    It could come to that. Meanwhile, about a dozen shops to call, one or two other yards ....
    Last edited by jiho; 04-18-2019 at 08:24 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Sounds like a long fight. I think checking the transmission shops is a great idea. If you have any garages around that seem to have old, crusty cars around they might be able to help as well. I know there are yards out here that aren't on car-part. Does your county have an accessible list of recycling yards?

Out here the vehicles that used that transmission are mostly gone. We have a bad infestation of metal termites. So we have to rely on Craigslist and more frequently Facebook Marketplace. I don't like the idea but I'm actually considering creating an FB account for access to the marketplace. The millennials I work with are getting tired of supporting my car parts habit.
    We only have plastic termites here.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    We only have plastic termites here.
    Same with Southern California, the trick to restoring an old car is get the interior from the rust belt and the body and frame from the dry south-west US

Administrator
    Oregon! No termites, only rodents.

New Hampshire "rusty but not bad" 50 Caddy:

Southern CA "rusty and needs complete restoration" 1955 Cadillac:

And for some information related to the original topic, the 700R4 and THM 350 will usually use the same driveshaft so there may be more transmission options available.

Fuel Injected!
    Well you can joke all you like, lol. I just got a 350C, multi-fit case, MX2, out of an '83 Olds Cutlass. Made by Buick, covered with crud, seems intact under it all. Exactly what I was looking for. (For a rebuild, of course .... )
    Last edited by jiho; 05-01-2019 at 10:21 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by jiho View Post
    Well you can joke all you like, lol. I just got a 350C, multi-fit case, MX2, out of an '83 Olds Cutlass. Made by Buick, covered with crud, seems intact under it all. Exactly what I was looking for. (For a rebuild, of course .... )
    Sure its not a 200 or 250?

Fuel Injected!
    Absolutely positive. Dual bolt patterns, "MX2" cast on the bellhousing. Anyway it better be, 'cause it's sitting on my floor.
    Last edited by jiho; 05-01-2019 at 11:25 PM.