Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TBI 5.7 swap in my YJ

Quote Originally Posted by c5wagner View Post
    Did you wire in the diagnostics port and a check engine light? Maybe that would give you a better idea of a bad sensor or some other issue.
    I read that the 7427 doesn't flash codes like older computers so I have not bothered yet. My cable is ordered so I will be getting to that soon. I do try to avoid throwing parts at it without verifying that I have identified a problem. Since I got a free replacement for the ICM it made sense.
    87 Jeep YJ ~ 95 TBI 5.7 ~ 79 TH350 ~ NP241C w/ORD SYE ~ 16197427 ECM w/ BJYL ~ lots of other custom stuff that is not relevant here. :)

Fuel Injected!
    The 7427 does flash codes like the older ecms, I had a 95 k1500 while I was in high school that absolutely flashed codes when jumped.

So, I picked up a new pick up coil and got that installed inside the distributor even though the original tested fine. No change. The only thing that I haven't replaced with new is the Ignition Coil. I have a couple and they test fine so I didn't see the need to spend more money.

Here is what I found though.... While cranking I am not getting spark or injector pulse. As the cranking stops I get a small burst of both spark and injector pulse. I am thinking I may be losing power during cranking. I am just not sure where to look do diagnose that... Thoughts? I worked on it a little Friday, but I just needed a break from it I guess so I did yard work the rest of the weekend.
    87 Jeep YJ ~ 95 TBI 5.7 ~ 79 TH350 ~ NP241C w/ORD SYE ~ 16197427 ECM w/ BJYL ~ lots of other custom stuff that is not relevant here. :)

Maybe try a known good computer (16197427)?

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Maybe try a known good computer (16197427)?

dave w
    Yeah.... I have tried the original computer that I was running that was from a 5.0 truck and the one that I have from a 5.7 truck. Both computers would make it run last week.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyJeep View Post
    So, I picked up a new pick up coil and got that installed inside the distributor even though the original tested fine. No change. The only thing that I haven't replaced with new is the Ignition Coil. I have a couple and they test fine so I didn't see the need to spend more money.

Here is what I found though.... While cranking I am not getting spark or injector pulse. As the cranking stops I get a small burst of both spark and injector pulse. I am thinking I may be losing power during cranking. I am just not sure where to look do diagnose that... Thoughts? I worked on it a little Friday, but I just needed a break from it I guess so I did yard work the rest of the weekend.
    Is your ignition switch wired correctly? You should have power on when in both key on and start positions.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayingWithTBI View Post
    Is your ignition switch wired correctly? You should have power on when in both key on and start positions.
    I would have to say it is. It used to work. I have had it running for a couple years since I originally swapped in this engine.

I did some diagnostics today and am really getting no where as usual. I guess I am not really getting no where. I am at least verifying that things are not my problem. My PCM appears fine and keeps voltage in run and crank as it should. My coil is getting voltage in run and crank as it should. I did finally wire in my ALDL plug and check engine light. I pulled codes 43, 59, 67, 82. Nothing there screams that I have a problem. I know 43 is knock sensor related, but the rest are tranny or A/C, which I don't have either so no surprise.

Fuel Injected!
    This past week I had a problem like you described. Running fine when cold but falling on it's face when warm. I ended up having 3 bad spark plug wires that rubbed through on the transmission dipstick bracket that worked fine until engine was warm for some reason....... Maybe double check your spark plug wires?

I will keep that in mind c5wagner. I am really leaning towards CTS though, but we will see. I need to get a cable though now. It looks like the guy here that sells them hasn't posted since 2017. I may just have to follow your method.

Anyway... It runs again.... woohoo.

It turns out that the new BWD pick up coil was no good. I guess I should have just stayed with AC Delco parts, but the BWD had a better warranty. I know.... I know.... "You can get a good look at a t-bone steak by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it. A guarantee is only as good as the man behind it" or something like that. You remember... Tommy Boy. :)

Craig Moates sells them along with the rest of the stuff you will need to get your rig going.

http://www.moates.net/gm-19851995-c-64.html

Ok.... I ran the Jeep for a bit while recording some data. Here is what I learned.

I don't know what I'm doing.

That said, how bout I attach some files and you guys that know more than me have a look. At right about one minute of running things start going south.

Daddyjeep Test 5-19-19.adx
    Daddyjeep Test 5-19-19.xdf
    DaddyjeepTest 5-19-19.bin
    first 5-14-19.xdl

Fuel Injected!
    You didn't seem to get any data....... I'm sorry but you have some reading to do: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...a-must-read!-)

I think I have some data now, I just have to find a few minutes at home to post it up. In the mean time I will share this...So I spent some more time with TunerPro RT. I really could not locate any red flags. I did get a code for the knock sensor, but that was it. Here is a short video of the software running. You will see that it stays in open loop. I am not sure if that is because I haven't installed the wide band 02 sensor yet or not. Does anyone notice anything out of place?

Since the software wasn't giving me a definite problem I went back to other thoughts on why it wasn't running well. I played with the timing a bit more and probably improved things a little. Then I thought I might try resetting the IAC valve. I have read on this a couple times, but never thought it could be my problem. Well shit..... I should have done that sooner. A simple procedure and it runs so much better., I played with the idle screw a bit and with the help of the Tunerpro software I could accurately set the idle to 650 and the engine is pretty happy now.

Any thoughts on this one? I was able to replay it so there must be some data this time. :)

DaddyJeep-5-26-19 Better.xdl