Thread: ford bosch III 39#DOHC injectors in pushrod engine= bad idea

Fuel Injected!

ford bosch III 39#DOHC injectors in pushrod engine= bad idea

Bosch III EV6 39lh/hr injectors. ive read around in the past that using these injectors designed for DOHC ford mills would present significant tuning issues since the spray pattern would point toward the port walls in a pushrod mill. i already had them so figured id see for myself what the tuning issues would be. since ive worked out all the other bugs i could now understand what the potential problems would be. first of all, since these spray the walls more than anything, the fuel delivery acts more like a wet flow design. consequently this hurt my fuel milage. secondly, long duration driving showed that heat soaking worsened the running characteristics. heat soaking in the intake and heads(ports) when driving over 2 hours would cause leaning issues. i can only figure that there is massive puddling at the entrance of the ports also causing overly rich conditions at idle. i just drove 2 days straight for over 14 hours of total run time. both days i had to significantly increase fueling after the first 2 hours of constant driving, and blms still pegged 160. forget about PE, i couldnt hammer on it even if i wanted to because afr's would hit 16-17's. ive only noticed it one other time(driving from san antonio to vegas) and the same exact thing would happen. once it fully cooled off i had to lean the fuel mixture out again to where it was and everything was normal. after 1.5 hours of travel it would just start showing signs but not too bad. so in conclusion, the ford 39/42# injectors are a bad idea. they can be tuned around only so much but drving on a really hot day for a cruise and it will show why. so the other injectors have been shipped and they will be installed no later than this weekend. hope someone will see this and think twice about using them lol.

on a side note, internet speed really sucks here so its slow as hell. im trying to search for the bosch III 19# injector offsets again. can someone help me out and post a link?

thanks!

Do you have part numbers and factory applacation of these injectors? That way we know what to stay away from. How many holes are in the end of the nozzle? If they are two hole I can understand, as they are designed for heads with two intake valves.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    i cant remember the part number but i will look when i pull them out of there. they are blue, have a USCAR electrical connection, and have a 4 hole design. the 4 holes look slightly different though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQeA77skuk

That video pretty much sums it up!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    you know...... if you want to sell those cheap, i might be able to use them in my LQ1 if i ever get around to modding it... :D

also, if the injectors are REALLY close to the intake port, you could probably get away with them. one application i can think of off-hand would be the L67s, since they mount their injectors in the head instead of the LIM.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Gotta love a video! This is why I love the bosch design 3 injectors!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfyno...feature=relmfu

I remember when I swapped them into my YJ replacing the stock fat single hole ones. The diffrence was crazy. It idled soo much smother, accerated smoother, cruise, I mean everything about the engine was smoother, and started faster. I knew when I built the MPFI for my cherokee, I wansnt gonna use anything other than a design 3 bosch.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

This is quite interesting.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    anyone have an offset table for the bosch III 19#ers? best data i can find is for the ford racing 24#ers, which im going to try if i cant find anything.

I just used the Ford 36#er for reference in how to adjust for my 32#ers, seemed to work. I didn't use the absolute numbers in this link (http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...njector+offset), but just the basic idea of where to increase and decrease values.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.