Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: prom request

Is there a reason you guys don't go to a ZIF socket and 27SF512 chips? Or are these for other folks?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayingWithTBI View Post
    Is there a reason you guys don't go to a ZIF socket and 27SF512 chips? Or are these for other folks?
    For the OP, I use the 28 pin eeproms myself. Either the SST 27SF512 or Winbond W27C512..........

Quote Originally Posted by c5wagner View Post
    For the OP, I use the 28 pin eeproms myself. Either the SST 27SF512 or Winbond W27C512..........
    I kinda figured, the EEPROMS are the way to go. I read somewhere the 2732A will lose its memory after a some (maybe 30) years? What's the difference between the SST and the Winbond?

Fuel Injected!
    I kinda figured, the EEPROMS are the way to go. I read somewhere the 2732A will lose its memory after a some (maybe 30) years? What's the difference between the SST and the Winbond?
    I get the winbond for about $0.50 a piece where the SST are about $5.00 a piece; however, the Moates Burn 2 only works with the SST, I have the MCUmall GQ-4 programmer and minipro tl866cs which will burn just about everything......

Hmmm, I guess a little longer programming (10.5 seconds) between the two but 10% the cost makes it okay....
    W27C512.JPG
    sst27sf512.JPG
    Last edited by c5wagner; 04-04-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Hiya, the majority of the time with 7747, I have a 7747 with a socket and emulator(pocketrom https://secure.transtronics.com/osc/...roducts_id/329 I know it's old school and so am I, I have two and never a failure, many many years) pretty much hard wired to it. I tune with the emulator and then burn the chip and send the customer down the road after verifying that everything matched from the emulated 7747 and the final chip in their own 7747. If it is your own vehicle, of course you could do it differently.
    I am curious if you have any data that can explain how an eprom(or a prom for that matter) substrate can change without outside interference. I also like your question about the difference between the two eeproms.
    Thanks for your time. :)
    Last edited by In-Tech; 04-04-2019 at 05:59 AM.
    -Carl

Quote Originally Posted by In-Tech View Post
    Hiya, the majority of the time with 7747, I have a 7747 with a socket and emulator(pocketrom https://secure.transtronics.com/osc/...roducts_id/329 I know it's old school and so am I, I have two and never a failure, many many years) pretty much hard wired to it. I tune with the emulator and then burn the chip and send the customer down the road after verifying that everything matched from the emulated 7747 and the final chip in their own 7747. If it is your own vehicle, of course you could do it differently.
    I am curious if you have any data that can explain how an eprom(or a prom for that matter) substrate can change without outside interference. I also like your question about the difference between the two eeproms.
    Thanks for your time. :)
    I'm not sure where I read about the EPROM's limited life, something to do with the oxide layer, I think. Maybe someone else here can shed some light? I just remember thinking to myself, "hmmm good for 20+ years and my truck is 31?"

Fuel Injected!
    I'm not sure where I read about the EPROM's limited life, something to do with the oxide layer, I think. Maybe someone else here can shed some light? I just remember thinking to myself, "hmmm good for 20+ years and my truck is 31?"
    Haha, yep. Around the year 2000 "somebody" posted that an eeprom could only handle about 30,000 writes, so I wrote up some "burner code" to try and kill a cell, it would write a different bit each write and erase. After about 4 million re-write/erases I finally had a write fail, but the very next erase and write went fine, so I let it run another 100,000 or so and shut it down. LOL There's alot of internet folklore out there. :)
    Last edited by In-Tech; 04-05-2019 at 03:00 AM. Reason: correcting a year
    -Carl

Electronic Ignition!
    Hey Guys, ddiamondav here. at last post I discovered my ecm was 1228747 bcc AKWA. So I ordered another ecm that was advertised as for 5.0L, which is what I need. Guess what I got instead? It is marked AKSN which is for a 4.3L manual transmission. At least it is a 1227747 box, but now I still need the chips for my 5.0L 700R4. How can I hook up with whoever it was that had the one I need?

Fuel Injected!
    It sounds like you have the right equipment now. I don't know Cwagner personally but it sounds like he could help you especially being close by.
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddiamondav View Post
    Hey Guys, ddiamondav here. at last post I discovered my ecm was 1228747 bcc AKWA. So I ordered another ecm that was advertised as for 5.0L, which is what I need. Guess what I got instead? It is marked AKSN which is for a 4.3L manual transmission. At least it is a 1227747 box, but now I still need the chips for my 5.0L 700R4. How can I hook up with whoever it was that had the one I need?
    Send me a PM