Thread: First time tuner, Full Size Jeep with 401, TBI, using TunerPro

Fuel Injected!

First time tuner, Full Size Jeep with 401, TBI, using TunerPro

Thanks for have me folks! I live in Southern California (for the next couple years or so) and am walking down the DIY EFI path. Here's what I have:

1979 Cherokee Chief 2 door
    401, freshly rebuilt, mildly ported heads, Comp Cams 268H cam, Edelbroke Performer intake (with EGR provisions), sitting in front of a TH400, Quadratrac Transfer case, 3.55's in the front and back, and running 33" tall tires. Super fun rig.
    IMG_7780.jpg
    DIY EFI:
    I am running a 454 TBI with 74 pound injectors, 16197427 Computer, $OE, BMHK, 4 wire O2 sensor, and timing control is enabled at my computer.
    IMG_0507a.jpg

Tools:
    TunerPro RT, Moates BURN2, Red Devil River Bluetooth ALDL, Moates GP-1 Adapter

So far I have been able to get my engine up and running pretty well and plan to start my first data log tomorrow on my way to work. I created my first BIN to get my truck running and now and working on figuring out how to actually tune my rig. Looking forward to chatting with some of you!

Welcome, lots of good info here!

Quote Originally Posted by rang-a-stang View Post
    Thanks for have me folks! I live in Southern California (for the next couple years or so) and am walking down the DIY EFI path. Here's what I have:

1979 Cherokee Chief 2 door
    401, freshly rebuilt, mildly ported heads, Comp Cams 268H cam, Edelbroke Performer intake (with EGR provisions), sitting in front of a TH400, Quadratrac Transfer case, 3.55's in the front and back, and running 33" tall tires. Super fun rig.
    IMG_7780.jpg
    DIY EFI:
    I am running a 454 TBI with 74 pound injectors, 16197427 Computer, $OE, BMHK, 4 wire O2 sensor, and timing control is enabled at my computer.
    IMG_0507a.jpg

Tools:
    TunerPro RT, Moates BURN2, Red Devil River Bluetooth ALDL, Moates GP-1 Adapter

So far I have been able to get my engine up and running pretty well and plan to start my first data log tomorrow on my way to work. I created my first BIN to get my truck running and now and working on figuring out how to actually tune my rig. Looking forward to chatting with some of you!
    Welcome

What VSS are you using the 16197427?

Tuning with Wide Band O2 (WBO2) data is a good option for tuning:http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...g)-Spreadsheet

$OE is a good option. When possible, I opt for using $OD: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-0D No need to re-invent the wheel, $OE will get your rolling. Maybe $OD is a better way to roll?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I have Dakota Digital SEN-01-4160 and a SGI-5E but they are not wired in yet. I hope to this week.

Fuel Injected!
    I guess it doesn't matter since you have a T400. I do agree with Dave, I usually start with the OD mask unless using a 4L80e, then I will start with a 0E.

Oh, and welcome, lots of good folks here. You are off to a fine start with the equipment you have.
    Last edited by In-Tech; 03-29-2019 at 08:42 AM.
    -Carl

Quote Originally Posted by rang-a-stang View Post
    I have Dakota Digital SEN-01-4160 and a SGI-5E but they are not wired in yet. I hope to this week.
    Using Dakota Digital products for the VSS is a good plan.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Thank you, Gentlemen.

I don't have the money WB02, yet but am planning to get there. It was on my RADAR. Hopefully in the next 6 months. The link you provided about WB02 saves me about 30 threads worth of posts because it preemptively answers all my questions!!!

What's the advantage(s) of $OD over $OE? I have driven my rig on $OE but it was short (less than 20 miles) and without VSS it wasn't a good sample. I had some hardware problems getting my VSS hooked up last weekend and the parts I need to get it fixed show up tomorrow (4/2). I kept a pretty good log of what I have changed so far so going to $OD wouldn't be too big of a time crunch but I am wondering what it would do for me, generally speaking...

$OD has been "Hacked" to a greater degree than $OE. The radiator cooling fan code and WBO2 code were originally developed for $OD first. The "Comments" for $OD .xdf is better developed.

The fuel tables, spark and other tables are easy to copy / paste from $OE into $OD.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Got it! I am sold! I am running fan control on my current BIN and it's working correctly so that is important to bring over. I will transition over to $OD in the coming week or two. Thank you!