Thread: Repurposing Mercury Outboard Vapor Separator

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Electronic Ignition!

Repurposing Mercury Outboard Vapor Separator

From http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=1#post7699934

"Outboard gasoline motors generally have a vapor separator. The vapor separator accepts fuel from a low pressure pump which enters the vapor separator through a needle and seat. After the fuel passes through the needle and seat, the fuel is held in the reservoir (analogous to a carburetor bowl) where the fuel is available to the high pressure fuel pump. The needle and seat are controlled by a float assembly."

I am still in the planning stages for the conversion of my 1985 El Camino to TPI fuel injection. I am considering the following with regards to fuel supply to the fuel rail/injectors:

i.) installing a low pressure electric pump on the frame near the tank to supply fuel to the vapor separator reservoir (or perhaps just use the existing mechanical pump on the 305 to feed the vapor separator);

ii.) installing the vapor separator on the inner fender well to supply high pressure fuel to the TPI fuel rail (and ultimately the injectors); and

iii.) routing fuel return line from rail to the vapor separator.

Has anyone done such a fuel system conversion?

If so, how did it turn out?

Any insight/critique into this vapor separator solution would be appreciated.

PS Pics of Mercury fuel separator and applicable patent diagram attached.

PPS I already have one of these Mercury vapor separators kicking around (thus no cost to me).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by xcookpac; 03-28-2019 at 01:55 AM.