Thread: New Guy. TBI questions and help needed.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carb and Points!

New Guy. TBI questions and help needed.

Hello I'm Andrew live in Middle Tennesee, and enjoy working on vehicles and projects. I have a rock crawler/cab truck I have been working on for a while now, over 10 years. Chevy SWB Frame, 350, sm465, np205, 1 ton axles 4.10gears, and 42in Super Swamper TSLs. 1991 s10 cab from a 4.3 truck. Engine is a freshend up 350 .040over, crank is 10/10, regular truck heads (not TBI heads), high volume oil pump, Lunati High Eff. cam 205/205 @ .050lift .427/.427lift LSA/ICL:110/105 800-4600rpm, Edelbrock Performer intake with TBI adapter, and Headman Street rod headers. When I started the build injection was out of the budget, but since I got the new cab and it was TBI, I thought I would try it before I cut it up. I got it all wired up and it runs minus a few hiccups. I emailed a guy a couple months ago who told me he could burn me a chip, emailed him the other day and now all he wants to do is tell me what I have done wrong and when I try what he says and that's wrong too. I understand my cam may not be exactly TBI friendly. I'm going to get exhaust on it in a week, I've got the Flowmaster y pipe and 3 in Summit welded 2 chamber race muffler for it. O2 sensor is about 1.5in down from Header collector. We set timing at 10deg then plugged the wire in, it is reading 15-16in vacuum with no exhaust. The chip guy told me that was way to low for TBI. I went and checked a friends truck with same cam and TPI, it has 17-18in at idle. The exhaust on that truck is close to what mine will be, he did have Howell burn him a chip years ago. From what I can get out of Chip guy my timing maybe off along with other things so he says. I will report back more after exhaust and I adjust timing and a few other things, before i throw in the towel and have to change the Cam in it. I was hoping someone on here had gone through the same thing. Anybody recommend a few chip people or companies, or some things to try? Not looking for a Monster, just a good running engine for the woods. Thanks, Andrew

What year engine and ECM?

In my 88 (7747 ancient ECM) 350, I have a Lunati Voodoo 10120700 cam, 207/213 @ .050, .466/.484 lift w/1.6 full roller rockers, 112 LSA. It runs ~15" vacuum at idle (-2 @ WOT LOL) according to my data log with 46mm bored out TB. I'm not going to say it runs perfect but I'm still working on tuning it.

There's folks here that can help with your tune and just about everyone will tell you that no 1 chip fits all, you need to data log. I'm using TunerPro RT with ALDL cable to do this while learning and improving the performance and MPG on mine.

Enjoy!

Carb and Points!
    The engine is old 4 bolt main 350 out of a 79 3/4ton truck. When I started it had a 1228062 in it. The guy at TBI chips told me it only had V6 timing and fuel tables in it. I went to the 1227747. I have tried 2 different 7747 computers. One hunted for idle like my 8062 did, and the other one didn't. I went to a pull a part and found one, and it seems to idle ok it's just very rich at idle but I think some of that is open headers. I have 2 reman injectors to rebuild another injector pod for it along with a pod spacer and different TBI adapter from SPR performance. I was gonna play with timing and see how that helps. I also have a new set of Z28 valve springs coming for it. I'm not sure if I could tune myself without a lot of help.

I'm new to this game too and have made my share of mistakes. One was to keep the 7747 ECM, it's 10 times slower than the newer years like '93 up. I still haven't made up my mind to pull the trigger and order the Dynamic EFI - https://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php it takes the guesswork out of this whole thing but, where's the fun in that?

My 2nd mistake was ordering a chip from that guy. Dave w helped me tremendously with a different starter chip and a ZIF socket in my ECM so I can flash my own 27SF512 chips while data logging and tuning.

I'm going to make plenty more mistakes but, with folks like these here, I'll learn while playing with my TBI and tuning it.

Carb and Points!
    I'm just trying to get mine to run good. It doesn't have to be a Monster. I'm looking for a good starter chip for mine, and as long as it performs I will leave it be for a while. Just trying to get my truck to the woods and rock crawling. What all has been done to your motor? How do you get a hold of Dave W? Thanks, Andrew

What all has been done to your motor? How do you get a hold of Dave W? Thanks, Andrew
    I have the 46mm bored TB with 18# spring from SPR Performance on an Edelbrock 3704 bored to 48mm intake, Ebelbrock 43661 breathable air cleaner, ADO-EP381 fuel pump (used in Vortec systems) Summit Racing (made by Trick Flow) 162108 aluminum heads w/2.02/1.60 valves and angled plugs, the Lunati cam mentioned above with Cloyes double roller timing set, Spectra Premium dizzy with Pertronics Flame Thrower coil, Summit Racing G9015 shorty headers (w/AIR required emissions), heated O2 sensor, JBA mandrel bent "Y" pipe with high flow collector to Thunderbolt 3" high flow Cat, to 3" 3-chamber muffler.

It's not a monster, I was hoping I could still pass smog here in AZ with it de-tuned, EGR turned back on and HyWay Lean Cruise turned back off. Dave is a Moderator here on Gearhead EFI. You can try to PM him.