Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advise needed, planning a 383 build for a 1988 C1500 Pickup

Carb and Points!
    The factory ones in the truck right now, original 1988 350 tbi injectors (to my knowledge). What I have read the 7.4 ones have a hard time idling, has that been fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Redtires019 View Post
    The factory ones in the truck right now, original 1988 350 tbi injectors (to my knowledge). What I have read the 7.4 ones have a hard time idling, has that been fixed?
    Hmmm, there comes a point, when hear-say vs. actual tuning have to be reconciled. I really have to wonder what the hear-say information actually means when there isn't a TunerPro RT .xdl file to support the "hear-say"?

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Its all like learning a new language to me, and I am barely beyond "See Spot Run" in the fuel injection world, but willing to learn, lol

Fuel Injected!
    My problem with tuning is I learn what you need then I don't touch it again for years until a big change comes around to necessitate a retune. I can't say I enjoy tuning. I bought the EBL, I would consider the favoured ecu of a good tuner- take that advice for whats its worth.

For heads I painted myself into the vortec corner, I have used factory (mild port w SS valves), RHS iron- nice, and now AFR- I was in a remote part of the country and due to a bad rebuild needed a set of good heads shipped in- so I put my faith in AFR to bolt on, which they did, the only problem was AFR upsold me on springs that were unnecessary. Today I would look at Edelbrock, Chad Spier, lots of choice for conventional heads- but if you buy good quality there is a resale value to them.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitch View Post
    375 FHP/420ft lbs FWTQ.....was that with TBI on it or a carb?
    650 holley IIRC. itnwas starting to make pressure so they figured i could go up to 750. looking back i think they kinda took my money and ran. I recall them doing pulls with all in timing @ 35 to 37 degreesa, when vortecs usually like less. as stated that was with 1.5 stamped steel rockers,probably would have made more power if they had really dialed it in. i'm sure tbi woukd have been better but i never got it tuned right on my own.