Thread: 16197427 BMHM - $0E or $31?

Question 16197427 BMHM - $0E or $31?

I have a 95 7.4 HD 2500 with a 4180E with a 16197427 BMHM, I copied the original bin file from the factory chip.

My main problem is I can’t seem to find a XDF file that works correctly.
    According to the XDF, ADX lookup chart, the 16197427 computer should be a $0D, but all info I found, and all files I found shows $0D is for the 4160E Trans.

And it looks like the $0E should be for the 4180E Trans. But nether XDF shows a correct spark map, they have some kind of weird problem somewhere.

The only one that shows the spark correctly is the $31 (Tunepro shows the original bin is a $31 mask) I’m using the $31 v250, and it does cover the 4180E trans, but not all parameters that I change will happen, for instance, I can change the spark table but idle setting will not be correct, I set it at 8° but it stays at 12° adv. But it will change farther up off Idle.
    But, maybe I’m just missing settings somewhere and I keep looking.

Also the “Open and Idle” VE table has all “0’s” in it. But I opened it with a $0E XDF and the table is filed in!

One of the other problems I’m having is, I stroked the 454 to a 496, and I bumped the fuel psi to 40 psi (calls for 27 psi) and it actually runs pretty well, and the BLM was right at 128 most of the time, before doing anything with the computer.

So now in tune pro I increased the cyl size from 56.66 to 62.43 and changed the TBI flow rate from 67.9 @ 27 to 82.6 @ 40 and the BLM went to 156!
    So I lowered the flow rate and actually ended up back at the original 56.66 flow rate and it still shows a 129-130 BLM. It was better before I messed with it, and I have no Idea if I shoud mess with the VE tables since they are no entries in them.

This is my first try at tuning a computer for an engine. I am learning but I still feel a little… ok a lot confused, and I don’t know what XDF file to use for my computer and bin.

Any chance Anyone has a link to a “getting started post” that might explains what each setting does exactly and the relationships to other settings, Most I understand, but quite a few are still over my head at this point and I hate to bug you guys asking stupid questions.

Fuel Injected!
    If you want to use $OE use the xdf and adx that you find under the 6395 computer. 6395 and 7427 are interchangeable. You would need to use a $OE bin
    Last edited by myburb; 03-04-2019 at 02:57 AM.
    6395, BHDF, 7.4 BBC lightly modded now 6395 BMHM back to BHDF

I'm guessing from what I know that it is a $31 now?
    If that is right, would it be better to change it to the $0E or will the $31 work?
    If it is a $31 now, what is involved in changing it over to a $0E?
    Is it just a matter of using the XDF and ADX of the $0E? like for instance just to fix the spark tables? or is there some thing else that needs to be done, like how does the computer in the truck know what mask to read?

Thank so much for your help!

Fuel Injected!
    ok I get you now. If you want to keep your $31 that your truck came with download the files from the 6930 computer in the def area that you got the other xdf adx from.

OK, Ill go find those and try them,
    I'm not against changing the mask or the bin, I'm just not sure why, or how to do it.

I see you have used a BHDF and a BMHM then back, why did you change them? I'm probably wrong, but couldn't you do the same thing by using the BHDF bin and just mod it to the BMHM parameters? or is there more to it?

OK I went and got those files, I haven't tried any of the ADX files but, my spark table looks right and I have data in the VE files now!!

I am still curious as to why to change the BCC and what it takes to change the mask? I've seen a few post that say that the $0E mask is suppose to run a little smoother, but nothing as to why.

Is it as simple as burning a different BCC file? like the BHDF and putting it in?
    Last edited by Snowwebs; 03-04-2019 at 03:56 AM.

Administrator
    The Mask ID is a code used by GM to identify files that have similar code and table layout. The BCC identifies the group of calibration values you will find in your chip.

If you select a BCC with a different mask from what you currently use, you can then burn it to a chip. Not every mask is compatible with your ecm or vehicle.

Fuel Injected!
    It has been my opinion to start with the bin and mask that was originally with your transmission. Also I can't remember if the xdf for $31 has as many items as $OE. In my case I felt my 80e was smoother with $OE. You could easily try a $OE and see how you like it. You would just have to mod the bin to have similar numbers for the engine that you have with your $31. It should run similar. Another item you might not know about, I see in your previous post you talked about 8 and 12 degrees of initial advance. The normal setting of the xdf is stock 3 dgrees. If you change your initial to anything but the stock 3 you have to mod the xdf/adx or the timing won't display properly. My two bits is just leave the initial at the stock 3 and do any timing changes in the timng table. It switches at 400 rpm so it happens pretty fast.
    Last edited by myburb; 03-04-2019 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    The Mask ID is a code used by GM to identify files that have similar code and table layout. The BCC identifies the group of calibration values you will find in your chip.

If you select a BCC with a different mask from what you currently use, you can then burn it to a chip. Not every mask is compatible with your ecm or vehicle.
    So all I do to change BCC is basically, match the new bin parameters against my original and burn it to the chip as long as it is compatible with my computer, Right?

Quote Originally Posted by myburb View Post
    I see in your previous post you talked about 8 and 12 degrees of initial advance. The normal setting of the xdf is stock 3 dgrees. If you change your initial to anything but the stock 3 you have to mod the xdf/adx or the timing won't display properly. My two bits is just leave the initial at the stock 3 and do any timing changes in the timng table. It switches at 400 rpm so it happens pretty fast.
    My base timing (mechanical) is at 4° (stock setting unpluged) and the "initial spark adv" setting is at 3.9, I set both the idle and open throttle main spark table to run 7° @ 600 and 800 rpm and at 10° @ 400 and 1000 rpm. When I ran the data logger, is showed spark timing at 12° @ 750 rpm with a 194° operating temp.
    I still don't know why, I must be missing a setting some where that is bumping it up.
    I did find the "CTS Spark Advance Compensation vs. Vacuum vs. Temperature" and even though my engine temp was up, my coolant temp showed only 90°, but I'm figuring now that one is in Fahrenheit and the other is in Celsius.
    Guess I'll keep looking.

I'll stick with the $31 for now , once I understand things better, I give your BHDF a try. it is all kinda making sense to me... sorta lol>

Now I have parameters in the VE files, I'm guessing those need to be set to get the BLM in line with the higher inj flow and cyl size correct?
    Last edited by Snowwebs; 03-04-2019 at 09:47 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    snowwebs, if you are interested you could send me a pm and I could load up your bin and maybe help you out. I only fool with big block chevs so don't often get to help out.

I'm on the move right now, but Yes I would love your help. I'll get some info together and PM you later today.