Thread: Remote oil filter kit

Remote oil filter kit

Don't know we're to post this question. Is there any recommendations on a remote oil filter kit for a 94 TA LT1. Thanks in advance

Carb and Points!
    Not sure if this is of any help. For the oil filter itself. I'd go to one of these sites as they seem to have the one you need in stock:

https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.../AC-Delco/PF25

http://www.nookandtranny.com/mm5/mer...de=OIL_FILTERS

however by the looks of that website it could very well be that they're no longer in business.
    I take it you need a whole filter mounting kit, including hoses & brackets? Summit stock some although I don't know if they're compatible with those older oil-filters.
    I hope it's of some use to you.

Thanks for the information I will look at what they have maybe I'll give them a call to verify fitment

Hi
    Stroked 388

Some info on these.
    I'm running an after market oil filter on a model A. Not much room any where to put it. This one has a standard Z9 filter inside. They give off a bit of heat but mainly put it where you can service it and be able to put those tools on it to remove the Z9 style. If low down not where it can be damaged while driving.

Now for the good part. YOU CAN PUT ANY AND ALL OF THESE ON BACKWARDS. (reverse the send and receive lines). Oil will not flow backwards through an oil filter.
    My engine builder couldn't stop warning me on this. One of the professional builders here reversed one and on start up saw it had oil pressure and let it run.

The oil pressure sender was on the in side so showed maxim pressure but the oil stoped dead.
    On my first start up we disconnected the out line and cranked the engine to see oil flow, confirmed, refit and go. Make sure the in and out connections are clearly marked on the unit if they are ever disconnected some time in the future.

No one usually tells you this but consider where you will put the pressure sender if you have to install one. I have a sender for the gauge on the in side and a sender on the out side for the idiot light.

There are a number of styles available to you there including ones that fit the Z9 style filters like MOONEYES and other similar brands available from the range of Auto accessary shops you have.

1213.jpg

MOC
    Ford 28 Roadster Pick Up
    Ford Flathead 51 8BA. Balanced, ported,3/4 cam, Edelbrock 59A heads, C4 trans, 8" diff 3.55 narrowed 40mm /side.
    Fuel injection by Flatattack racing, 60mm Holden TB.
    ECM Delco 1227808 160 baud.

Fuel Injected!
    Remote oil filter set ups came on S-10s with V6. I would look for a setup at a junkyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Stroked 388 View Post
    Is there any recommendations on a remote oil filter kit for a 94 TA LT1.
    I've also been toying with the idea recently of remote mounting with a cooler provision for my 95 Y body. Seems like the parts are out there but the prices get astronomical quickly depending on how exotic you want to get. For me I wanted a dual filter setup without bypass and the provision for a cooler. In the end I came to the conclusion I could probably make my own cheaper than buying something race-ready.

So I suppose I'm inclined to ask what you're wanting to accomplish and why.

After pricing what I wanted, I came to the realization that good quality synthetic oil coupled with a non-bypass adapter that lets you use a 3.75" OD filter such as a PF35 sized package (if you have room for it) and a functional cooling system (engine coolant, not oil) should be more than adequate for most street applications.

The S-10 stuff 57 Handyman speaks of were on all 4wd S-10 variants with the 4.3 v6. I believe the filter adapters on these only accept the smaller 2.75" PF52 size filters if that matters to you.

Quote Originally Posted by spfautsch View Post
    I've also been toying with the idea recently of remote mounting with a cooler provision for my 95 Y body. Seems like the parts are out there but the prices get astronomical quickly depending on how exotic you want to get. For me I wanted a dual filter setup without bypass and the provision for a cooler. In the end I came to the conclusion I could probably make my own cheaper than buying something race-ready.

So I suppose I'm inclined to ask what you're wanting to accomplish and why.

After pricing what I wanted, I came to the realization that good quality synthetic oil coupled with a non-bypass adapter that lets you use a 3.75" OD filter such as a PF35 sized package (if you have room for it) and a functional cooling system (engine coolant, not oil) should be more than adequate for most street applications.

The S-10 stuff 57 Handyman speaks of were on all 4wd S-10 variants with the 4.3 v6. I believe the filter adapters on these only accept the smaller 2.75" PF52 size filters if that matters to you.
    My plan was to get more room to run a bigger filter possibly 2. I do run full synthetic. The filter I have on it now is flow restricted

Quote Originally Posted by 57 Handyman View Post
    Remote oil filter set ups came on S-10s with V6. I would look for a setup at a junkyard.
    Thanks I'll do that

Quote Originally Posted by MQQN28 View Post
    Hi
    Stroked 388

Some info on these.
    I'm running an after market oil filter on a model A. Not much room any where to put it. This one has a standard Z9 filter inside. They give off a bit of heat but mainly put it where you can service it and be able to put those tools on it to remove the Z9 style. If low down not where it can be damaged while driving.

Now for the good part. YOU CAN PUT ANY AND ALL OF THESE ON BACKWARDS. (reverse the send and receive lines). Oil will not flow backwards through an oil filter.
    My engine builder couldn't stop warning me on this. One of the professional builders here reversed one and on start up saw it had oil pressure and let it run.

The oil pressure sender was on the in side so showed maxim pressure but the oil stoped dead.
    On my first start up we disconnected the out line and cranked the engine to see oil flow, confirmed, refit and go. Make sure the in and out connections are clearly marked on the unit if they are ever disconnected some time in the future.

No one usually tells you this but consider where you will put the pressure sender if you have to install one. I have a sender for the gauge on the in side and a sender on the out side for the idiot light.

There are a number of styles available to you there including ones that fit the Z9 style filters like MOONEYES and other similar brands available from the range of Auto accessary shops you have.

1213.jpg

MOC
    Thank you for the information what kit did you use

Stroked 388

My kit is from Flatattack racing in Australia. Its suits hot rods and early cars that want to replicate the beehive style oil filter. Mooneyes make a similar one. There are quite a few standard kits around at the parts store including Jeggs and Summit.

Original flatheads only had a bypass oil filter so there is a simple mod done to reroute the full oil flow to an external oil filter. Im running a truck oil pump and this gives 50lb oil pressure.

From memory the early valiants had an external bracket that took a Z9 style filter. The very first had a crappy style that then went then to a good one. But getting very scarce now.

MOC
    Ford 28 Roadster Pick Up
    Ford Flathead 51 8BA. Balanced, ported,3/4 cam, Edelbrock 59A heads, C4 trans, 8" diff 3.55 narrowed 40mm /side.
    Fuel injection by Flatattack racing, 60mm Holden TB.
    ECM Delco 1227808 160 baud.

After my last post I spent a few minutes searching last night and found Trans-Dapt kits at the sites mentioned by MOC that might work. Prices were more reasonable than the billet pieces I've seen. Hedman apparently owns Trans-Dapt so you can find better product info than is available on the retailer's sites at hedman.com

I haven't had time to perform an exhaustive search but it appears their dual filter base only accepts the smaller 2.75" filters. I'm not sure that gains any surface area over a single 3.75" truck filter, but it may be possible to get the smaller diameter filters in a longer length.

I think I have room to squeeze one of these where my AIR pump used to be, but it might be challenging without some expensive 90 degree AN fittings.

Yes I plan on using 90* elbows if needed I found some AN fittings very responsible on eBay and Amazon AN8 sweep elbo was about 10.00 each if I remember correctly