Quote Originally Posted by CDeeZ View Post
It seems like I'm getting somewhere with wrastlin' this AE into submission. I'm starting to get a better understanding of the what/how/why. AE is just to compensate for the drop in manifold vacuum when the throttle is opened quickly. Much like pump shot in a carburetor since TBI is also a wet manifold... AE is just to get you into PE then PE is in play from then on out.

My throttle only opens 60%, I need to adjust the throttle cable or something, possibly move the home-made bracket that mounts it. Most of the time, when I slam the pedal down to 60% it is no longer lean popping. I'm still getting some lean pop occasionally.

Once I got rid of most of the lean pops, I was also seeing the WB02 pegged on full rich 10 AFR. It was sluggish going off the line, especially when lightly stepping into the throttle. I have reduced some of the TPS AE and that seems to have helped.

Does it stand to reason that with a large throttle body, and all the open plenum space of a carbed single plane, that MAP AE is going to probably be the main requirement to get AE in line? It seems that way in my case. I have read about other people having similar experiences with needing more MAP AE than TPS AE in similar setups.

Really makes me appreciate my LS truck.... A dry manifold that comes off in 5 minutes, No distributor to hassle with, no AE to have to tune. Just slug the PE right into the 11.5 AFR range, turn up the boost and let it eat.
AE is still in effect in a LS truck and there are substantial throttle response gains to dialing them in as well. All the Wall Wet/Evaporation tables in the PCM are how they do it. I got it all dialed in the way I wanted on my L31 too.

I found my old setup liked more bias toward the MAP AE. You can run into driving conditions were the manifold vacuum will suddenly drop from fairly high to almost non-existing with zero movement of the throttle pedal and need to have the MAP AE to keep the engine from experiencing a lean spike. Watch your part-throttle upshifts effect on the 02 sensor voltage and short term fuel trim. If the 02 voltage and narrow bands spike lean on a part throttle upshift at say 25% throttle you need to add more MAP AE. My old 350 Vortec Single Plane setup on the G20 van had 3x the MAP AE of a stock 454.

If you are at 10:1 and it is still popping you have issues that are not AE related. Retarded spark timing as well as overly tight valves can cause popping and even fireballs out of the TBI unit.

In my experience the L03/L05 spark maps only work well on the swirl port heads. They do not have enough timing in them to work well with other heads. Most other heads want more timing in the low rpm/high map area than the TBI heads work OK with in factory form. Most L05 timing maps actually have negative timing values off-idle at WOT. I have tuned cammed LS engines with 3,000+ rpm stall converters that like 20* of timing at 1,200 rpm @ full load and only run 26-28* of total timing at high rpm.

With a loose converter you can typically advance the timing substantially under the stall speed. I usually use the PE spark added to ensure the extra timing is only there at WOT. I use 4-8* in my PE adder. When you are cruising around with a locked converter, out of PE the same timing values that help spool the engine up at WOT from a stop would cause spark knock.