Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 454 woes

Electronic Ignition!

454 woes

Howdy everybody. I did a engine swap and then researched. Hopefully I don't forget and do it that way again. What I did was I put a fresh rebuilt 1993 454 TBI in a 1974 C30 dually. First time I did anything with a GM engine much less a throttle body. Theres a whole story how I got here and its not entirely my fault. Anyway, everything was going pretty smooth until I realized the ECM I bought with the engine wasn't original to it. Now I'm trying to figure what to do for a prom chip in a 1228747 ECM for the 454 in front of an ancient manual trans. I now realize there were better choices I could have made in doing this swap but here I am many hours and dollars later. This forum kept coming up in my searches for info so hoping for some sage advice.

This link ( http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-4F ) has lots of 1228747 information, including several 454 .bin files in post #3.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks for the response, dave w. I did come across that thread in my searches. This is all new to me so please pardon my questions that probably have obvious answers. So does this mean it is not likely I’ll find an OEM prom that I can just stick in there and will have to change the socket and and get all the stuff necessary to burn a chip? And would that be best anyway since the rebuild included a cam with valve lift .478 Int. and .503 Exh? The truck has a flatbed and boom. I use it at my landscape business’s yard for lifting trees and boulders and such. It sits for months at a time so by no means is a daily driver. It’s a grunt truck and I’d like it to run strong but don’t need to win any races.

EPROM - Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory
    EEPROM - Electronically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory

Myself and other members here have the have software and hardware to erase and reprogram the original 2732 EPROM chip. The original 2732 EPROM is erased with an ultra violet (UV) light.

There are many low cost options to chip programming, like the moates.net Burn 2. Unfortunately, the Burn 2 can not program a 2732 chip.

Basically there are two chip programming options for the 1228747:
    1. Spend money on a UV eraser and a chip programmer capable of programming a 2732 EPROM.
    2. Spend money on modifying the 1228747 to accept a 27SF512 EEPROM which allows using the Moates.net Burn 2 for erasing and programming chips.

Tuning is another topic all in itself. Basically tuning optimizes Engine Performance with modified chip programming.

The ability to reprogram a chip is essential for "Tuning".

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Ok, I think I'm starting to pick this up. It looks like all this information is already available on this site but appreciate verification that I'm understanding everything right. So I want to solder in a modified 28 pin zif socket. Seems like the cleanest option. That should be pretty attainable for me since I have soldered various stuff on boards in the past. Then I could use the Ostrich 2.0 in place of the EE27SF512? If so I'll order one but looks like that emulator is on backorder for a couple months. If I've got this right so far then the next thing I would do is try to get someone who already has the hardware and software to burn me a 27SF512 appropriate for my application that I could use meanwhile waiting for the emulator. Does this make sense?

Here is the link for converting a 2732 chip computer like the 1228747 to a ZIF Socket, which would allow using a 27SF512: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...sion-(27SF512)

Emulating with an Ostrich 2.0 is nice, but not necessary.

A Burn 2 chip programmer is nice also, but there are other options for programming a 27SF512 besides the Moates.net Burn 2: https://www.ebay.com/bhp/willem-programmer

It's likely many of the chip programmers in the link above will also program a blank 2732 chip. The 2732 comes in different variants even sub-variants, using either 25vdc, 21vdc, or 12.5vdc to program.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayingWithTBI View Post
    That looks pretty ideal but also price is pretty rich for my blood. I’m really upsidedown on this project especially since I had lent the truck to someone that abused it and blew the original carbureted engine.

Electronic Ignition!
    Great, thank you guys for the easy to understand information! I’ve got to make some decisions on which route to go with this. Will report back once I’ve sorted things out. Thanks again!

Electronic Ignition!
    I'm working with a 1228747 ECM that is not original to the '93 7.4L that is in a '74 C30 with stock manual trans. The ECM had a factory prom for 5.7L automatic. I ordered a zif socket, burn2 and couple 27SF512 chips. I carefully followed all instructions from links given and moates. Zif socket soldered in nice directly to board. Burned chip successfully with one of the 454 manual transmission bin files linked earlier in this thread. Put it all together and have trouble code 51-PROM ERROR. I have gone over the instructions for this process again and again and cant find my error. I tried a couple other bin files with the same result.

I would verify the soldering. Check ohms between pins that were soldered are not shorted together by a solder bridge. Verify the direction you are installing the chip. Try a stock chip (removed from the plastic holder), even if its from a 350 automatic.

What offsets are you using to burn the 27SF512? The stock chip is 4K, the 27SF512 is 64K so an offset is needed.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    I was worried about the soldering even though everything looked fine. I pulled the zif socket back off the board yesterday out of frustration. Trying the stock chip would have been an easy test. I’m going to wait for the solder sucker I ordered to show up before I put the socket back.

The offsets are set automatically for the chip at 00F000-00FFFF and buffer 000000-000FFF.

I would verify the soldering. Check ohms between pins that were soldered are not shorted together by a solder bridge. Verify the direction you are installing the chip. Try a stock chip (removed from the plastic holder), even if its from a 350 automatic.
    Like Dave said - check the direction the chip is installed. The notch goes towards the lever.

ZIF socket and chip.JPG

Electronic Ignition!
    I rechecked the chip orientation, socket orientation and pins 5 combined on socket multiple times. I was careful not to bridge pins with solder but I took the new socket off the board anyway just to be sure there wasn’t a solder problem between board and bottom of socket where I couldn’t see very well. I actually suspected a continuity problem more than bridged pins and should have done testing before taking it apart again. Just my patience ran out yesterday and was about to finish the job with a hammer.

I’m going to start over using a new zif socket. Does trouble code 51 apply only to PROM or entire ECM?

Thank you guys for the responses, hopefully I’ll get through this the second time around and stop bugging with beginner stuff.

Not positive but 51 = PROM, 55 = ADU ECM Failure according to TunerPro RT