Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEWBIE 93 Z71 vortec

Electronic Ignition!

NEWBIE 93 Z71 vortec

Hi all! I'm looking for a good starter Bin for my project pickup. I started with a 97 Vortec gm Goodrich engine, used an adapter intake, healthy cam, 97 style fuel pump, and installed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

I had a fella build me a chip using the information and it runs ok WOT, but the drivability SUCKS!! I purchased a Moates Autocal package and have been reading and learning for months now, I figured out how to Data log, but when I tried Emulating, things went south. I took the chip that I bought and tried to download it into tunerpro RT using the ZIF socket and when I look through the tables and scalers, all of the data is EVERYWHERE!!!! the values are not smooth flowing like other bins I have downloaded and looked through. so what i'm looking for is a bin file close to what I have that I can start adjusting from.

Any help and information will be greatly appreciated as I am still learning the ropes..

Thanks Bobby

What are the injector part #'s you are using?

What fuel pressure are you using?

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Usung the stock injectors. I have had the fuel pressure up to 20#s before, but it idles so rich you can’t stand it. As soon as i touch the throttle it pulls the timing to 0 and it backfires, coughs and bogs for a couple seconds until the timing goes back up and it runs pretty good... it’s just that every change in the throttle position causes the timing to do this.

Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    What's your definition of a healthy cam?

Electronic Ignition!
    480/488 112 LSA.

Fuel Injected!
    I'm guessing that's your lift and LSA, what's your duration?

Fuel Injected!
    Google tells me it's a Howard's with 231 235 @ .050
    Disable checksum for emulating?
    Soooo with a stock cam idling at 30 kpa and your healthy cam idling at 60ish kpa, on a stock tune the pcm is going feed your idle using the 60 kpa fuel cell and this only gets more exasperated with higher than stock fuel pressures. I know you said you're running off fella tune but who knows what fella did???
    Last edited by stew86MCSS396; 02-27-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzukiz440 View Post
    Usung the stock injectors. I have had the fuel pressure up to 20#s before, but it idles so rich you can’t stand it. As soon as i touch the throttle it pulls the timing to 0 and it backfires, coughs and bogs for a couple seconds until the timing goes back up and it runs pretty good... it’s just that every change in the throttle position causes the timing to do this.

Thanks
    The chip needs to be programmed with correct injector flow.

Increasing fuel pressure will increase the injector flow. To much fuel makes the engine run rich.

Decreasing the fuel pressure will decrease the injector flow. Not enough injector flow makes the engine run lean.

Stock TBI timing tables will not work well with Vortec heads.

The chip needs timing tables that will work with Vortec heads.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    The duration is 258 intake, 264 exhaust.

Try using the .bin files attached.

Standard Disclaimer: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files

Electronic Ignition!
    Perfect! That is what i was looking for, a good starting point that i won’t have to re invent the wheel.

One more thing, has anyone ever had their fuel pump and injectors stick ON while trying to emulate? The only time i tried emmulating i filled the engine plumb full of gas and had gas pouring over the top of the throttle body and all over the ground... i’m kind of scared to try it again.

Likely you will need to re-invent the wheel. The $E6 .bin file was adequate at best, later on the $E6 updated with a $OD .bin file.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Dave, when I upload those 2 bins, all of the values are identical, in the timing and fueling tables, ALL of the values throughout the tables are the same numbers.... I searched through some other threads on here and found someone who shared a bin for an IROC, I uploaded that bin and all the values look like they should. I don't know if i'm not downloading your bins correctly of what..... I'm back to scratching my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzukiz440 View Post
    Dave, when I upload those 2 bins, all of the values are identical, in the timing and fueling tables, ALL of the values throughout the tables are the same numbers.... I searched through some other threads on here and found someone who shared a bin for an IROC, I uploaded that bin and all the values look like they should. I don't know if i'm not downloading your bins correctly of what..... I'm back to scratching my head.
    Are you using the $E6 .xdf file?

$E6 information is at this link: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-E6

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Dave, now I can see all of the information!!! so the XDF file that I downloaded from the CODE59 website didn't like it?? the XDF file lets tunerpro read the information in the bins, what does the ADX file do?

another question, are the 27sf512 chips re-writable? or is it once and done?