Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with a 5-speed swapped 93' S10 8625 $E6 Vin "Z" TBI 4.3

Fuel Injected!

Help with a 5-speed swapped 93' S10 8625 $E6 Vin "Z" TBI 4.3

Hello everyone, I have a 93 S10 with a TBI 4.3 V6. The 4L60E crapped out and I was able to buy the truck super cheap! I haven't had the best of luck with GM autos, so I also bought a 92 parts truck with the 5-speed in it, but didn't realize that the ECM was a 7427 or 7724 (don't remember exactly)

Long story a little shorter, I can't swap over the ECM, and I have bought TunerProRT and an AutoProm, but I'm having problems with the truck not wanting to idle down between shifts or rolling to a stop. Once the truck is sitting still, it runs GREAT (700-750 RPM idle and no hunting) and I've rebuilt the throttle body Just In Case, but no idle improvements. It seems to run better under load etc, but it still doesn't want to de-rev between shifts.

I'm sure this has something to do with the auto-trans configuration giving me trouble, but I can't seem to find a bin file that will work for my setup. I was looking for a BCPM or something similar, with no success. I have managed to code in the e-fan $E6 Fan Control v100, and it works great with my Intrepid cooling fans, but I really need some advice and/or direction as to how to get this ol' gal to run properly. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

~Phil

Administrator
    I was looking for a BCPM or something similar, with no success.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ll=1#post74168

Fuel Injected!
    1Project2Many, Thanks for replying, but I misspoke on that initial post. I have tried the BCPM bin in the past, and have run into lots of little problems with the California edition having all the emissions components that my truck doesn't have equipped. Is this something I just have to go through one-by-one and compare with the bin from my factory chip, and then turn off from the BCPM or is there a non-california 5-speed "Z" engine bin? I'm pretty new to this whole deal, but I'm trying to learn. Thanks again for your reply!
    ~Phil

Administrator
    In my software there is a very short list of calibrations specifically for that engine and five speed transmission.

Model Year 1992 CBJX5723
    Model Year 1994 BDCM5424
    Model Year 1994 BHRL5909

There is a spreadsheet which shows a number of manual transmission applications. To me that list is questionable because many of the applications listed as "manual" show up for me as "no transmission type listed." BCPM is one of them. But I can look through my calibrations tonight and see if I have any listed in the spreadsheet as manual transmission, then check to see if they actually are manual trans.

Otherwise you can try copying data from the 5 speed cal to your auto cal. One of the files in the post I linked contains a list of all the differences between the manual and auto trans files.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    In my software there is a very short list of calibrations specifically for that engine and five speed transmission.

Model Year 1992 CBJX5723
    Model Year 1994 BDCM5424
    Model Year 1994 BHRL5909

There is a spreadsheet which shows a number of manual transmission applications. To me that list is questionable because many of the applications listed as "manual" show up for me as "no transmission type listed." BCPM is one of them. But I can look through my calibrations tonight and see if I have any listed in the spreadsheet as manual transmission, then check to see if they actually are manual trans.

Otherwise you can try copying data from the 5 speed cal to your auto cal. One of the files in the post I linked contains a list of all the differences between the manual and auto trans files.

That's what I was afraid of. I know that the 93 was a bastard year that flipped between the 4L60 and 4L60E. I think they made a lot of changes since the electronically controlled trans needed to communicate with the ECU on a much deeper level. Now that my GETRAG is in, I just need the ecu to ignore everything but the engine and tailshaft speed. I have looked through a spreadsheet before containing all the different applications, and I've tried to find the factory PROMS for a manual vehicle. I found these in that spreadsheet that say 4.3 with 16168625 ECU and MAN trans: AYXC, AYXK, AYXY, BAAK, BCPK, BCPL, BCPM, etc. but I have yet to find one TBI 4.3 "Z" motor with manual trans that is available anywhere.

I saw your differences txt file, and there were around 600 differences. I came up with the same thing when I was looking before. I can try to copy over the bin file from the truck's original prom if you think that would help since it doesn't have the 4 letter code on it. . .

I appreciate you taking the time to try and help me find something that will give me a starting point for tuning. I've been digging into this issue off and on now for about 6 months, and every time I make some headway, I find another issue that kicks me right in the goodies. Just for grins and giggles, are any of the configurations you posted above for the 16168625 ecu? They aren't pulling up in the spreadsheet I have. Thanks again for all your help and patience!!!
    ~Phil

Administrator
    If you follow the thread in the link I posted, there is another link to yet an older thread which talks about this very problem. If you haven't read that, it might be helpful to spend a few minutes with both. I believe the files I listed are for the 8625.

Thank you for pulling the BCC's out of the spreadsheet. I'm not sure if you're saying that you've tried all of the calibrations you listed, or if you're saying you're unable to find copies of the files.

There is another tool which may help identify BCC's for manual transmission equipped vehicles. TIS2weballows one to look up GM calibrations. Feed in a valid VIN, select the transmission type, and it will provide calibration information. I have started by attaching a screenshot of the calibrations it shows for a 1993 4.3 w/ manual transmission, with "pluggable" computer (vs flashable) and Federal emissions. There may be additional calibrations for high altitude, California, and Export vehicles. Someone will need to associate the BCC's below with the correct controller part number but unfortunately I'm out of time this morning.

You may end up creating your own manual transmission file. We could create a starter file similar to what I did in the other thread. I am happy to help. What are the problems you've had with the California 5 speed calibration you tried?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    I just pulled some BCCs out that matched what I had started looking for when I started trying to tune this mess way back. LOL I punched my Vin into the tis2 and came up with EXACTLY what you came up with in your attachment. AYXY/9267, BABD/8252, BCPK/3475. BDDJ/6402, BFCC/1312, BMUU/0998, and BMYC/1632.
    As I'm reading through that post, it seems that romac55 (Bob) is a bit more frustratable than I am, but I'm chuckeling because I'm dealing with a lot of the same issues. The downside is he's running a 7427 ( Which I have from the 92 donor if it would swap, but the plugs aren't the same as my 8625), and then he's also running CPI where I'm still on TBI.
    When I first did the swap, I looked all over the net for an AYXY Memcal, thought I found one on EBAY, but it was improperly advertized and was actually for an olds boat with a big block. LOL!!! If I could find the bin for one of those 7 you and I found, that would be AMAZING!!! If I could find the bin data for AYXY or BCPK, I think I could tinker with it from there. . .

Prog year release eprom ECM PromID/scan eng displ trans type
    AYXY 1993 33575 16169366 16168625 9367 8371 S1 LB4 4.3 MY2 MAN Correct year, ecm, application, engine and trans type
    BABD 1993 33739 16179122 16152630 8252 4210 S1 LB4 4.3 MY2 MAN incorrect ECM
    BCPK 1993 33770 16183298 16168625 3475 3301 S1 LB4 4.3 MY2 MAN Correct year, ecm, application, engine and trans type
    BDDJ 1993 33861 16186401 16173782 6402 6135 S1 LB4 4.3 MY2 MAN incorrect ECM
    55? BFCC 32.00 KB 1993 34250 16191311 16173782 1312 405 S1 LB4 4.3 MY2 MAN
    BMUU 1993 34498 16210997 16168625 998 1005 S1 LB4 4.3 M30 MAN Correct year, ecm, application, engine but I don't think my trans is an M30
    BMYC 1993 34498 16211631 16168625 1632 1635 S1 LB4 4.3 M30 MAN Correct year, ecm, application, engine but I don't think my trans is an M30

Maybe I haven't been looking in the right place, but those bin files have evaded me. ;) The California bin gave me CEL and created LOTS of flags if I remember correctly, (I've slept since then) and I probably could program my way around them, but the emissions components were not adequate on my physical truck to satisfy the ECM. After a few minutes, it would go to LHM, setting the idle to around 2K and really being a bear to try and work with.
    I just figured that there had to be an easier way. I'm not reinventing the Chevrolet S10, I'm just upgrading it from it's weak transmission LOL. I've had so many problems with GM transmissions crapping on me, plus, real men shift themselves right? :) ;)
    If you can help me locate one of those bins, I'll make sure to have your crown studded with diamonds, as they aren't in EagleMark's list here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-E6
    Thanks again 1Project2Many! You've really been a great help so far with getting this thing ironed out!
    ~Phil

Administrator
    GM never created support tools for the DIY Prom Burning world. Calibrations released on chips or memcals were only available with the purchase of chips. The only way to locate .bins today is to try and find old memcals, nos parts, or copies of files held by former GM employees, tuners, or collectors. I am willing to look through my list but I believe this is not a common vehicle. Finding an original may require contacting folks that have been involved in efi and / or tuning for many years.

M30 transmission is an automatic: 4L60E. So either the manual transmission classification is incorrect, or the M30 RPO is incorrect. I believe it's the manual trans association due to the way calibration application data was stored in GM's database but the only way to confirm is to locate a copy of the file.

Are you able to upload your original calibration? Do you know the BCC?

Fuel Injected!
    1Project, That's what I was finding, and trying to locate the MemCal that fit my cluster of an apparent Frankenstein was proving more than difficult. I came to the same conclusion on the M30 trans, which is why I said the AYXY and BCPK were gonna be the best bet, but they seem to be non-existent .bin files. . .
    The original BCC that was in the truck when I bought it was (from what I could tell) a BCFZ, but I'm not 100% positive on that because it only has "DELCO ; 1478 ; 1478" on the sticker. No 4-letter designation. The BCFZ designation was actually printed on the paper-sticker on the ECM itself. . . I can put the original chip in my Autoprom, and try to get the info off of it if you would like.
    ~Phil

Fuel Injected!
    I'm hoping I got this right with Flash&Burn, but if it's not, I will keep trying. . . I selected the 27C512 (Read-Only) chip and copied the buffer into this file: (First time trying to upload an attachment, hope it works!)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    Thanks for posting that.

The file seems to be aligned correctly although Bithoist doesn't properly identify it. There are a number of variables that show up in your factory file that are not in other $E6 calibrations. So it's tough to say the read is correct.

Fuel Injected!
    Is there another way that I could try and get it to you? Would it be easier if I copied it through TunerProRT? I don't think I damaged it when removing it from the memcal. . . I made my own adapter with a ZIF socket and the original memcal. I've been repairing hardware electronics for years, and I've never had any problems damaging chips before, so maybe it's just something with Flash&Burn? I tried the "save buffer to file" but it only saved it as a 1mb file, so after reading the chip, I went in to "edit buffer" and then copied that data to the file. I could then get it to post as a 64k file. I'm trying to read it under the 27C512 (RO), which I'm pretty sure is what I need to be reading for this chip right? If you want me to try reading it using another program, I'd be totally willing, and just need some instruction.

I'm glad, however, that I'm not the only one finding this project to be a complete oddball. I've literally had minor issues with this whole process from the start, including the original chip in the memcal not having a 4-letter designation.

Any luck finding an AYXY or BCPK in your archives?? Thanks!
    ~Phil

Administrator
    Unfortunately I still do not any of the manual transmission files.

The file you uploaded seems to be based on BCFZ. The scan ID is correct. There are a few differences in the code section compared to BCFY and the checksum calculation generates a different value than what's saved with the file. There is code or data below $4000. Does the copy you've uploaded include the modifications for electric fan? If not I believe this read is not correct.

Fuel Injected!
    Well darn, that's unfortunate. Hopefullly I can find a manual trans bin that will work somewhere. . . As to the file I uploaded, it was directly off the chip that was in the ECM when I bought the truck. I'm wondering if there was a modification made to the PROM from GM. . . I took the EPROM out of the memcal about 6-8 months ago, and that is what I scanned and copied in my last post. As I said before, there are no letters on the eprom, just Delco, then 1478 on the line beneath, then another 1478 at the bottom. I thought this was kinda unusual, since there were no letters on the reflective stamp. The .bin file I uploaded is completely unmolested (as I don't have a UV eraser) and directly from Flash&Burn to the upload link on this site.
    20190224_151030.jpg
    20190224_151428.jpg
    I'm wondering at this point if I have a real oddball, or if the prom was changed from GM, or if I did somthing wrong in Flash&Burn. . . Should I try to get TunerProRT to get the .bin from the factory prom?

~Phil

Fuel Injected!
    I also got pictures of the build codes just in case you were interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Philalbar1; 02-24-2019 at 11:47 PM.