Thread: Hello from Indiana

Carb and Points!

Hello from Indiana

I have been in the automotive business off and on since I was a kid. Worked in dealerships as tech and ended up as Service and Parts Director before giving it up in the early 90s. I got tired of being a babysitter and psychologist and everything in between. lol Since then I have done it mostly as a hobby, restoring, repairing and building. I have worked on a lot of EFI stuff as far as diagnostics and repairs but never got into any programming. I have recently built a 383 sbc and replaced the 4.3 in my 93 c-1500 stepside. Wanting all the drivability and convenience of EFI, I have installed a 670cfm Holley 502-9 TBI on it with a 1227747 ecm. I bought an AutoProm and all the stuff to go with it from Moates including Tunerpro RT and Flash and burn. It's all installed and I soon realized that I pretty much know nothing about tuning EFT and that is the reason I am here. After a month of pulling my hair out, It will finally start and run long enough to come up to temp but it ain't very good. At least I may be getting close to start Data Logging. Gotta try and figure out how to get that going now. I think I may be too old to learn all this. Thanks for accepting me to your site. You guys seem to have the best site for EFI on the web.

Administrator
    Welcome!

Sounds like you're starting out with reasonable expectations which helps! You're not too old to learn. I'd spent years as a tech moving from independent shops to GM dealerships when I found my way into tuning. Back then you had to work much harder to find the answers since the GM chips were still a mystery to most people. But I've learned enough to be dangerous and I have no doubt you could do the same. BTW, you'd be surprised just how much information is buried in the old GM manuals. The GM engineers did a great job laying out basics using the actual GM programs to draw from. If you have a manual for a 7747 equipped truck it might be helpful to have it available while you learn.