Thread: New to Forum and Tuning Can't seem to find correct BIN

Electronic Ignition!

New to Forum and Tuning Can't seem to find correct BIN

I have a 4.3L CPI (Vin W) out of a 93 S10 Blazer that I installed in a 92 Jeep YJ and mated it to an NV3500 Manual. The PCM is 16168625 BBNT which was for the 4L60E transmission. I am looking for a BIN that will work with my ECM that was for a Manual Transmission. Or is it possible to use the original BIN and tune out the inputs from the transmission control module?

Thanks for any help in advance.

You should be able to change your bin from auto to manual trans in the flags file "Options-Transmission Option". Here's some other bins you can check out...

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead...16196396%20E6/

Fuel Injected!
    I don't see any CPI bins here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-E6
    ...but it does list some 5 speed bins you could use compare tool in tprt to make changes. Was BBNT a CPI bin?
    Perhaps looking at other mask that list CPI bins and you modify from there. Make sure you use appropriate corresponding xdf/adx with whichever mask you might try.

Administrator
    BBNT is a CPI bin. PCM # 16156930. Calibrations specifically listed for manual trans and 4.3 L35 engine are few:

Model Year 1992 CBJX5723
    Model Year 1994 BDCM5424
    Model Year 1994 BHRL5909

Several calibrations including BBNT do not list the MY2 5 speed or the "manual transmission" qualification. For these calibrations one would have to open the file and look at the status of the "manual transmission" bit.

This is an old question. One could read posts beginning here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ll=1#post11344
    Unfortunately the OP did not opt to share the .bin he had been given. If a true 4.3 W manual trans calibration cannot be located, my suggestion is to locate a 4.3 TBI auto and manual trns .bin and studiously work out the changes that should be incorporated for a manual trans.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by stew86MCSS396 View Post
    I don't see any CPI bins here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-E6
    ...but it does list some 5 speed bins you could use compare tool in tprt to make changes. Was BBNT a CPI bin?
    Perhaps looking at other mask that list CPI bins and you modify from there. Make sure you use appropriate corresponding xdf/adx with whichever mask you might try.
    Thanks for the info. How/Where do find the correct xdf/adx files?

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    BBNT is a CPI bin. PCM # 16156930. Calibrations specifically listed for manual trans and 4.3 L35 engine are few:

Model Year 1992 CBJX5723
    Model Year 1994 BDCM5424
    Model Year 1994 BHRL5909

Several calibrations including BBNT do not list the MY2 5 speed or the "manual transmission" qualification. For these calibrations one would have to open the file and look at the status of the "manual transmission" bit.

This is an old question. One could read posts beginning here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ll=1#post11344
    Unfortunately the OP did not opt to share the .bin he had been given. If a true 4.3 W manual trans calibration cannot be located, my suggestion is to locate a 4.3 TBI auto and manual trns .bin and studiously work out the changes that should be incorporated for a manual trans.
    Thanks for the help. I went to the link and read the old post. There is a lot of info there. I think comparing several of the manual bins with my current bin is the way to go. Thanks again and I will post my results if it works out well.

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks. I will have a look at those.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4.3JeepYJ View Post
    Thanks for the info. How/Where do find the correct xdf/adx files?
    Start here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ams-Tuner-Info!

Look for your ECM/PCM. Each link should have an xdf/adx.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 4.3JeepYJ View Post
    Thanks for the help. I went to the link and read the old post. There is a lot of info there. I think comparing several of the manual bins with my current bin is the way to go. Thanks again and I will post my results if it works out well.
    FWIW I started doing this the other night. That is, comparing manual and auto TBI files then making changes in BBNT. Some changes are simple such as auto to manual trans and entering the correct gear ratios. Others look a little more tricky. The CPI engine had different spark timing than TBI, so when the TBI auto and TBI manual show different timing from each other, and both are different from CPI, you need to make some decisions. My approach would be to copy the shape of the table, not the actual values. I'll try to remember to post the .bin tonight along with a few examples so it's more clear.

Administrator
    These are the files I'm using. The text is a simple display of the locations that show different variables and the variable in each file. With that file open, you can also open up TP and load the BBNT manual conversion file, then load BCPM file as a compare files. Then open the difference tool and it will list all the differences between the CPI and TBI 5 speed trans by location then name. Next step is to scan through the variables until you find one that you'd like to change.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    Now you can decide how you want to make changes for some of the less straightforward variables. My approach for items such as the spark table is to make the CPI table shape more similar to the 5 speed TBI table shape. Using the compare function we can see the differences between the two spark tables. Notice how the top right side of this table has negative values? That tells me a manual transmission calibration for the CPI should probably have lower values in the same area. So I would spend time decreasing the values in the main spark table by the same amounts as shown in the comparison.

Clear?

You could invest more time in looking at the CPI vs TBI tables to see if the CPI table needs additional adjustment. IME making those changes should go along with driving / tuning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Electronic Ignition!
    FWIW I started doing this the other night. That is, comparing manual and auto TBI files then making changes in BBNT. Some changes are simple such as auto to manual trans and entering the correct gear ratios. Others look a little more tricky. The CPI engine had different spark timing than TBI, so when the TBI auto and TBI manual show different timing from each other, and both are different from CPI, you need to make some decisions. My approach would be to copy the shape of the table, not the actual values. I'll try to remember to post the .bin tonight along with a few examples so it's more clear.
    Thanks for your help. I was hoping it would be as easy a changing a few flags but that's not the case.

Electronic Ignition!
    Now you can decide how you want to make changes for some of the less straightforward variables. My approach for items such as the spark table is to make the CPI table shape more similar to the 5 speed TBI table shape. Using the compare function we can see the differences between the two spark tables. Notice how the top right side of this table has negative values? That tells me a manual transmission calibration for the CPI should probably have lower values in the same area. So I would spend time decreasing the values in the main spark table by the same amounts as shown in the comparison.

Clear?

You could invest more time in looking at the CPI vs TBI tables to see if the CPI table needs additional adjustment. IME making those changes should go along with driving / tuning.
    Thanks. I just spent the day reading the TP help files so I actually now understand what you are talking about. I will take a look at these tonight and tomorrow. You are Awesome.